Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Arguments to scripts
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Arguments to scripts Post 302907351 by vbe on Friday 27th of June 2014 10:34:12 AM
Old 06-27-2014
If your script is one that is expected to run in interactive mode: Since its will ask to enter things (and then read the input after pressing Enter Key...) I dont see how you will be able to get it to accept values, and we cant help without seeing the script...
You best bet is to use expect utility, search the forum for expect usage

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing and using arguments in Scripts.

I am new to scripting in AIX / UNIX. I have a script that runs 4 other scripts and I want to be able to pass in a agrument that I can check before I run the next script to see if the previous script finished with no errors. Can someone send me an example of this as I'm sure it's pretty easy to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: David.Vilmain
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Profile scripts versus rc scripts....

what is the difference between login and profile scripts versus the rc scripts? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rookie22
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing Arguments in Shell Scripts

Hello everybody! First time posting here:) Right, I am trying to pass arguments in my shell scripts using $1, $2 and $3 etc using if else statement........ This is my shell script which is based on serching the google website #!/bin/sh wget -t1 -E -e robots=off - -awGet.log -T 200 -H... (47 Replies)
Discussion started by: kev_1234
47 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Script using rsh and scripts within scripts

Hi, I've written a script that runs on a Database server. It has to shutdown the Application server, do an Oracle Dump and then restart the Application server. Its been a long time since I wrote any shells scripts. Can you tell me if the scripts that I execute within my script will be executed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: brockwile1
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running scripts within scripts from cron

Hi all, I have set up a cron job which calls another shell script shell script which in turn calls a Java process. The cron tab looks so. 0,30 7-18 * * 1-5 /u01/home/weblogic/brp/bin/checkstatus.sh >> /u01/home/weblogic/logs/checkstatus.log The checkstatus.sh scripts looks like this. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirbrian
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing the Bash Scripts to Bourne Scripts:URGENT

Hi, I have to write a program to compute the checksums of files ./script.sh I wrote the program using bash and it took me forever since I am a beginner but it works very well. I'm getting so close to the deadline and I realised today that actually I have to use normal Bourne shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pgarg1989
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep with two arguments to arguments to surch for

Hello, is it possible to give grep two documents to surche for? like grep "test" /home/one.txt AND /home/two.txt ? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cybertron
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH - How to call different scripts from master scripts based on a column in an Oracle table

Dear Members, I have a table REQUESTS in Oracle which has an attribute REQUEST_ACTION. The entries in REQUEST_ACTION are like, ME, MD, ND, NE etc. I would like to create a script which will will call other scripts based on the request action. Can we directly read from the REQUEST_ACTION... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yoodit
2 Replies

9. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

scripts taking arguments

I am trying to write a script using commands to print a sequence of numbers. However, I can't get jot to recognize what I give it. Terri$ cat mncmd echo "m=$1" echo "n=$2" $jot $2 Terri$ ./mncmd 1 10 m=1 n=10 ./mncmd: line 3: $2: command not found I've also tried Terri$ cat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: justOne21
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling multiple scripts from another scripts

Dear all, I am working on script which call other shell scripts in a loop but problem is from second script am not able to come out. Here is the snippet:- #!/bin/bash HSFILE=/root/Test/Components.txt LOGFile=/opt/domain/AdminDomain/application/logs... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharsour
3 Replies
mmsclient_script(4)						   File Formats 					       mmsclient_script(4)

NAME
mmsclient_script - script file for mmsclient program SYNOPSIS
mmsclient_script DESCRIPTION
This man page describes the syntax of the script file that is driven by the mmsclient(1M) utility. This file contains a list of Media Man- agement Protocol (MMP) commands that are used to communicate with a Media Management server. The MMP and the commands in the script file are based, in part, on IEEE 1244, the Media Management System (MMS) standards. In the script file, each MMP command must start with one of the following symbols as the first character: # Comment character Indicates the following characters document the file or command. Any character following the # character on the same line is ignored. @ Async command Indicates that the command on the next line is sent in async mode. Any character following the @ character on the same line is ignored. The MMP command to be performed must start on the next line. Commands that are not preceded with the @ character are sent in sync mode, that is, the mmsclient command waits for a response before continuing to the next MMP command in the file. $ Sync point Forces the mmsclient command to wait for a response to a previous async command. For example, if the script contained an async com- mand such as: @task["Get volume Names"] ...a subsequent command: $Get volume Names ...stops the script until the volume names are retrieved. > Interactive MMP prompt Displays a prompt on the display device and pauses the script. To respond to the prompt, type the requested information, ending with the semicolon (;) character. The mmsclient utility then sends the information to the MMS server. To skip the MMP prompt, type the q character. % Pause the script The script stops until you press the Enter key. ! Execute a command The mmsclient utility issues a call to system(3C) to invoke a command. Whatever command follows ! is run in the shell in which mmsclient is run. For example: ! date See the shell commands in the example script below. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Example Script The following script, demo_example, demonstrates the special characters and some MMP commands. It is executed with default values when the command: # mmsclient -f demo _example ...is run. #mmsclient example script #Send show commands in sync mode show task["sync show command 1"] report[DM] reportmode[namevalue] number[1..2]; show task["sync show command 2"] report[LM LIBRARY] reportmode[namevalue] number[1..2]; #Pause the script and wait for someone to #press Enter to continue % #send show commands in async mode @ show task["async show command 1"] report[DRIVE] reportmode[namevalue] number[1..2]; @ show task["async show command 2"] report[CARTRIDGE VOLUME] reportmode[namevalue] number[1..2]; #set a sync point for the second async command, #to stop the script until the response is complete $async show command 2 #set a sync point for an unsent command and set #a sync pont for a command that has already received a response. #mmsclient does not stop for either one $sync show command 1 #Start interactive MMP prompt. #To continue, enter an MMP command or 'q' > #Register for a some events notify task["notify test3"] receive[tag["client connected"] object[CONNECTION] action["add"] match[streq(CONNECTION."Language" "MMP")]] receive[tag["client disconnected"] object[CONNECTION] action["delete"] match[streq(CONNECTION."Language" "MMP")]] receive[tag["DM connected"] object[CONNECTION] action["add"] match[streq(CONNECTION."Language" "DMP")]] receive[tag["DM disconnected"] object[CONNECTION] action["delete"] match[streq(CONNECTION."Language" "DMP")]] receive[tag["LM connected"] object[CONNECTION] action["add"] match[streq(CONNECTION."Language" "LMP")]] receive[tag["LM disconnected"] object[CONNECTION] action["delete"] match[streq(CONNECTION."Language" "LMP")]] ; #Pause the script #Connect another mmsclient to see some events #Press Enter key to continue % notify task["delete all CONNECTION events"] cancel[object[CONNECTION]]; #Pause the script and wait. #Connect another mmsclient to verify the events are cancelled. #Press Enter key to continue % #Execute some simple shell commands !echo Hello World !uname -a !hostname #Pause the script and wait. #Press Enter key to continue % #Send last command in async mode. #mmsclient does not exit until it receives the responses #for all pending commmands. @ show task["async show command 3"] report[APPLICATION] reportmode[namevalue]; @ show task["async show command 4"] report[AI] reportmode[namevalue]; ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWmmsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mmsadm(1M), mmsclient(1M), mmsexplorer(1M), mmsinit(1M), system(3C), attributes(5) IEEE 1244, IEEE Storage Systems Standards, a set of MMS standards SunOS 5.11 10 Jul 2008 mmsclient_script(4)