Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replace pipe delimited column string to null Post 302898426 by express14 on Tuesday 22nd of April 2014 06:25:30 AM
Old 04-22-2014
No...
This is part of a work that I am trying to build at work so that I don't have to do it manually. I need it badly. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep for NULL in a pipe delimited file

hi, How can I check for a field in a pipe-delimited file having a NULL value in Unix using a grep command or any other command. Please reply (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshg_sampat
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search and replace string only in a particular column in a delimited file

I have file with multiple columns. Column values for a record may be same. Now i have to replace a column value(this can be same for the other columns) with new value. File.txt A,B,C,D,A,B,C,D,A,B,C,D A,B,C,D,A,B,C,D,A,B,C,D A,B,C,D,A,B,C,D,A,B,C,D A,B,C,D,A,B,C,D,A,B,C,D... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ksailesh
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace a column that has '' to NULL in a comma delimited using awk or sed

Hi this is my first time posting ever. I'm relatively new in using AWK/SED, I've been trying many a solution. I'm trying to replace the 59th column in a file where if I encounter '' then I would like to replace it with the word NULL. example 0 , '' , '' , 0 , 195.538462 change it to 0... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gumal901
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

count of null in pipe delimited txt file

Hi, I have a pipe delimited txt file which contains 17 fields per line/row. 16th field contains email id. I want to count the number of lines/rows that contains null in the 16th field. Plz find attached example data file. I'm looking for a command line/script which achieves this. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sriranga
5 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

how to show particular column from pipe delimited file

hi, I have pipe delimited flat file as below 1|ab|4.5|9| 2|ac|3|12| 3|ac|4.5|8| i want to show (display) only 3rd field between pipes. please help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vai15517
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find for line with not null values at nth place in pipe delimited file

Hi, I am trying to find the lines in a pipe delimited file where 11th column has not null values. Any help is appreciated. Need help asap please. thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manikms
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace specific column range in a non-delimited file with a string!

Hi All, I will need an help with respect to replacing a range of columns on a non-delimited file using a particular string pattern. Say file input is MYNUMBERD000000-BAN CHUE INSNTS ** N+ MYAREDSDD000000+BAN CHUE INSNTS ** N+ MYDERFFFSD00000-GIR PENT - ACH ** ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: navojit dutta
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing a column in a pipe delimited file

Hi, I have a pipe delimited file as below and I need to replace the 2nd column of each line with null values. 1|10/15/2011|fname1|lname1 2|10/15/2012|fname2|lname2 3|10/15/2013|fname3|lname3 Output file: 1||fname1|lname1 2||fname2|lname2 3||fname3|lname3 I tried this ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: member2014
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check for not null column in a pipe delimited file

Hi, I have a requirement where I have to check whether the mandatory columns in a pipe delimited file is null and print error message. For eg, I have to check if the 3rd,5th,6th,7th and 8th column are null and print the message "<column name> is null". The data file will have aroung 100,000... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: reshma15193
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace delimiter for a particular column in a pipe delimited file

I have an input file as below Emp1|FirstName|MiddleName|LastName|Address|Pincode|PhoneNumber 1234|FirstName1|MiddleName2|LastName3| Add1 || ADD2|123|000000000 Output : 1234|FirstName1|MiddleName2|LastName3| Add1 ,, ADD2|123|000000000 OR 1234,FirstName1,MiddleName2,LastName3, Add1 ||... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: styris
2 Replies
PIPE(2) 							System Calls Manual							   PIPE(2)

NAME
pipe - create an interprocess channel SYNOPSIS
#include <u.h> #include <libc.h> int pipe(int fd[2]) DESCRIPTION
Pipe creates a buffered channel for interprocess I/O communication. Two file descriptors are returned in fd. Data written to fd[1] is available for reading from fd[0] and data written to fd[0] is available for reading from fd[1]. After the pipe has been established, cooperating processes created by subsequent fork(2) calls may pass data through the pipe with read and write calls. The bytes placed on a pipe by one write are contiguous even if many processes are writing. Write boundaries are preserved: each read terminates when the read buffer is full or after reading the last byte of a write, whichever comes first. The number of bytes available to a read(2) is reported in the Length field returned by fstat or dirfstat on a pipe (see stat(2)). When all the data has been read from a pipe and the writer has closed the pipe or exited, read(2) will return 0 bytes. Writes to a pipe with no reader will generate a note sys: write on closed pipe. SOURCE
/sys/src/libc/9syscall SEE ALSO
intro(2), read(2), pipe(3) DIAGNOSTICS
Sets errstr. BUGS
If a read or a write of a pipe is interrupted, some unknown number of bytes may have been transferred. When a read from a pipe returns 0 bytes, it usually means end of file but is indistinguishable from reading the result of an explicit write of zero bytes. PIPE(2)