Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Adding a separate /tmp
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Adding a separate /tmp Post 302892717 by fpmurphy on Friday 14th of March 2014 08:31:13 AM
Old 03-14-2014
In RHEL /tmp is a really for system temporary files. See tmpfs for more information. /var/tmp is for application and user temporary files. You can actually slow down your system slightly if you switch /tmp to be a separate fileystem.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/tmp is missing ????

Hi, When I type mail command i get the following error : /tmp/Rx7678 : No such file or directory If I try to use the man, i also get an error related to /tmp. I looked at my other servers and found this /tmp file, looked inside it and found that it has some files related to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BAM
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

writing to /tmp

Hi all, I need your help. I am using Linux - Mandrake 8.x version. Somehow, the system /tmp directory became unwritable. What can be the problem is this case I am trying to write to /tmp and the permission right for this dir are: drwxrwxrwt 20 root root 1024 Mar 16 17:26... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vtran4270
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

monitoring /tmp and /var/tmp for suspicous activity

Hello, does anyone have a script that can check the contents of the /tmp directory and for example e-mail the directory content if anything other than session files are present? Maybe there are better ways to monitor suspicous /tmp and /var/tmp activity, if so I'm listening :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamesbond
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

/tmp directory

i heard once that the /tmp directory was a ramfs (swap) that is cleared at reboot time, is this still the case in redhat EL 3 and 4 ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is so special about /tmp/

I know that /tmp is used for memory or swap??? and that it should not be full ??? and that files under /tmp are automatically removed after a reboot??? Is this info true??? thx (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
16 Replies

6. AIX

/tmp full

The /tmp is 100% full, I found there are the following big files/directory: 1301500 syslog.out.58 166692 vac 158552 install.dir.2928686 158552 install.dir.2236636 110980 install.dir.2887698 /tmp/vac have some files like : .toc ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
3 Replies

7. AIX

problem with tmp

Hello everyone ! I get a box with aix 5.3 and I get the /tmp fs on 100 %. I get a free space to get more bigger my fs but send me a error message. I try to make more bigger with smitty chlv but It doesnt work. Then I try to reduce somethings on the /tmp fs but I cant get in on a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
4 Replies

8. Solaris

cannot cd /tmp.

Hi All, There's a /tmp. folder on my solaris 9. I can't cd on it bash-2.05# uname -a SunOS cads105ctce 5.9 Generic_122300-30 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V890 bash-2.05# cd /tmp. bash: cd: /tmp.: No such file or directory bash-2.05# ls -la /tmp. /tmp.: No such file or directory ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding new lines to a file + adding suffix to a pattern

I need some help with adding lines to file and substitute a pattern. Ok I have a file: #cat names.txt name: John Doe stationed: 1 name: Michael Sweets stationed: 41 . . . And would like to change it to: name: John Doe employed permanently stationed: 1-office (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemo21
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Adding to an array in an external file, and adding elements to it.

I have an array in an external file, "array.txt", which contains: char *testarray={"Zero", "One", "Two", "Three", "Four", "Five", "Six", "Seven", "Eight", "Nine"};I want to be able to add an element to this array, and have that element display, whenever I call it, without having to recompile... (29 Replies)
Discussion started by: ignatius
29 Replies
zipnote(1)						      General Commands Manual							zipnote(1)

NAME
zipnote - write the comments in zipfile to stdout, edit comments and rename files in zipfile SYNOPSIS
zipnote [-w] [-b path] [-h] [-v] [-L] zipfile ARGUMENTS
zipfile Zipfile to read comments from or edit. OPTIONS
-w Write comments to a zipfile from stdin (see below). -b path Use path for the temporary zip file. -h Show a short help. -v Show version information. -L Show software license. DESCRIPTION
zipnote writes the comments in a zipfile to stdout. This is the default mode. A second mode allows updating the comments in a zipfile as well as allows changing the names of the files in the zipfile. These modes are described below. EXAMPLES
To write all comments in a zipfile to stdout use for example zipnote foo.zip > foo.tmp This writes all comments in the zipfile foo.zip to the file foo.tmp in a specific format. If desired, this file can then be edited to change the comments and then used to update the zipfile. zipnote -w foo.zip < foo.tmp The names of the files in the zipfile can also be changed in this way. This is done by following lines like "@ name" in the created temporary file (called foo.tmp here) with lines like "@=newname" and then using the -w option as above. BUGS
The temporary file format is rather specific and zipnote is rather picky about it. It should be easier to change file names in a script. Does not yet support large (> 2 GB) or split archives. SEE ALSO
zip(1), unzip(1) AUTHOR
Info-ZIP v3.0 of 8 May 2008 zipnote(1)