Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Read file, grab ip with fail2ban Post 302892554 by rbatte1 on Thursday 13th of March 2014 11:41:23 AM
Old 03-13-2014
If you want to block a list of users, what are they to be prevented from doing?
  • Login - change their shell to be /bin/false
  • FTP . - Add them to /etc/ftpusers
  • SFTP - Add them to the file referred to in sshd.conf
  • Everything - Change their encrypted password manually to a simple short string, so the encryption at login will never match it.

Does that help?

Robin

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Grab the latest file

I have been trying to use the find command to grab the latest file in a directory and move it to another area. I can't seem to get only that file, I end up getting everything for the day. Any ideas? Thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: n9ninchd
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grab from the file in one command

Dear All, I have a file in which there are 54 fields, i want to grab the all the lines and send to a new file where filed18 has lenght greater than 14. How can i do it without if condition and faster way: currently i am reading file line by line and comparing the length read fileLine... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bilalghazi
9 Replies

3. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Grab total page read from webalizer display in html

Hi, I need a way to grab the total combines since inception, total pages read from webalizer on my centos server or any other location (as long as since inception) and display the result live on my website So with each visit it would be increasing, or perhaps live (ajax) not sure But can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lawstudent
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help me grab a passage out of this text file?

Hey guys, I need a command that grabs only this part of the .txt file (that is attached), and outputs it to another .txt file with only these contents below. Thanks in advanced brothers: Disk: Local Disk (C:), NTFS Disk Defragmentation Summary Disk Size 230.85 GB Free Space Size... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aabbasi
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grab 2 pieces of data within a file

I am a newbie and what I have is a captured file of content. I want to be able to grab 2 pieces of data, multiple times and print them to the screen. DataFile owner: locke user: fun data size: 60 location: Anaheim owner: david user: work data size: 80 location: Orange my script... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: greglocke
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grab from file with sed

Hello All I have a file with this type of records: =LDR 01157nas a22003011a 4500 =001 vtls000000013 =003 VRT =005 20111020150800.0 =008 100128c19699999sp\a|||||\||||0\\\||spa| =037 \\$a1327$i090$j090$k03 =039 ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ldiaz2106
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script year_month_day_hour_minute with fail2ban

Hello, What I would like to do is a shell script which will read a database file, then it will compare the current date/hour/minute in each line existing in the database file. Today is 20140305 (year_month_day) & assume that the time is 15:11 at the moment. under /var/log/ database.txt ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk remove/grab lines from file with pattern from other file

Sorry for the weird title but i have the following problem. We have several files which have between 10000 and about 500000 lines in them. From these files we want to remove lines which contain a pattern which is located in another file (around 20000 lines, all EAN codes). We also want to get... (28 Replies)
Discussion started by: SDohmen
28 Replies
d_passwd(4)							   File Formats 						       d_passwd(4)

NAME
d_passwd - dial-up password file SYNOPSIS
/etc/d_passwd DESCRIPTION
A dial-up password is an additional password required of users who access the computer through a modem or dial-up port. The correct pass- word must be entered before the user is granted access to the computer. d_passwd is an ASCII file which contains a list of executable programs (typically shells) that require a dial-up password and the associ- ated encrypted passwords. When a user attempts to log in on any of the ports listed in the dialups file (see dialups(4)), the login program looks at the user's login entry stored in the passwd file (see passwd(4)), and compares the login shell field to the entries in d_passwd. These entries determine whether the user will be required to supply a dial-up password. Each entry in d_passwd is a single line of the form: login-shell:password: where login-shell The name of the login program that will require an additional dial-up password. password An encrypted password. Users accessing the computer through a dial-up port or modem using login-shell will be required to enter this password before gaining access to the computer. d_passwd should be owned by the root user and the root group. The file should have read and write permissions for the owner (root) only. If the user's login program in the passwd file is not found in d_passwd or if the login shell field in passwd is empty, the user must sup- ply the default password. The default password is the entry for /usr/bin/sh. If d_passwd has no entry for /usr/bin/sh, then those users whose login shell field in passwd is empty or does not match any entry in d_passwd will not be prompted for a dial-up password. Dial-up logins are disabled if d_passwd has only the following entry: /usr/bin/sh:*: EXAMPLES
Example 1: Sample d_passwd file. Here is a sample d_passwd file: /usr/lib/uucp/uucico:q.mJzTnu8icF0: /usr/bin/csh:6k/7KCFRPNVXg: /usr/bin/ksh:9df/FDf.4jkRt: /usr/bin/sh:41FuGVzGcDJlw: Generating An Encrypted Password The passwd (see passwd(1)) utility can be used to generate the encrypted password for each login program. passwd generates encrypted pass- words for users and places the password in the shadow (see shadow(4)) file. Passwords for the d_passwd file will need to be generated by first adding a temporary user id using useradd (see useradd(1M)), and then using passwd(1) to generate the desired password in the shadow file. Once the encrypted version of the password has been created, it can be copied to the d_passwd file. For example: 1. Type useradd tempuser and press Return. This creates a user named tempuser. 2. Type passwd tempuser and press Return. This creates an encrypted password for tempuser and places it in the shadow file. 3. Find the entry for tempuser in the shadow file and copy the encrypted password to the desired entry in the d_passwd file. 4. Type userdel tempuser and press Return to delete tempuser. These steps must be executed as the root user. FILES
/etc/d_passwd dial-up password file /etc/dialups list of dial-up ports requiring dial-up passwords /etc/passwd password file /etc/shadow shadow password file SEE ALSO
passwd(1), useradd(1M), dialups(4), passwd(4), shadow(4) WARNINGS
When creating a new dial-up password, be sure to remain logged in on at least one terminal while testing the new password. This ensures that there is an available terminal from which you can correct any mistakes that were made when the new password was added. SunOS 5.10 2 Sep 2004 d_passwd(4)