Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sed, bash problems migrating from Cray to GNU/Linux Post 302887615 by johnny_canucl on Sunday 9th of February 2014 12:55:59 PM
Old 02-09-2014
Sed, bash problems migrating from Cray to GNU/Linux

So, I have a series of ASCII files, all named something like mrkxxxxz.tmp (say, mrk1001z.tmp, mrk1002z.tmp, mrk1003z.tmp,...) -- these are .tmp files created by a large simulation program, and each different .tmp file represents a different parameter space used in the simulation). The simulations were originally run on a Cray, and on said platform, I would run the following shell script (which I call simbatch) to process them, and send them off to a FORTRAN application called 'mark':

Code:
# construct the mark command to run a set of mrkxxxxz.tmp files
echo $@
for i in $@ do
   #echo $i
   out=`echo $i | sed 's/z\./y\./'`
   #echo $out
   res=`echo $i | sed 's/z\./x\./'`
   #echo $res
   vc=`echo $i | sed 's/z\./v\./'`
   #echo $vc
   tmp=`echo $i | sed 's/z\./s\./'`
   #echo $tmp
   echo `date` >>'$tmp'
   nohup mark i='$i' o='$out' r='$res' v='$vc' >&'$tmp' &
done

Now, this works fine on the Cray, but under Linux, nada. I get all sorts of errors:

Code:
'/simbatch: line 5: syntax error near unexpected token `out=`echo $i | sed 's/z\./y\./'`

I'm *guessing* this is a problem with 'quoting' things, but I'll be darned if I've hit on the right combination.

Pointers to the obvious?

Thanks in advance!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

problems with sed and bash. Escaped characters ?

Hi, I'm writing a long script for bash (on RHEL 5.0) to execute many commands. So, my idea is to create a function to deal with error checking and logging (see ceckoutput() below). This works with all commands except for sed. I think it may be a problems with escaped characters. So I did the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: macL
4 Replies

2. Ubuntu

Migrating from Unix to Linux

Is there a way to migrate username password from Freebsd 6.1 to Linux Ubuntu 8.04. I am using the server as a email server running postfix and using imap. Is there a way to transfer the usernames and password. I have transferred all the Maildirs but I am getting uid errors and gid errors even after... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbizzell
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Subtracting time with awk - BASH/Debian GNU Linux

I'm sure this is simple and I've been looking at examples for days on end but can't seem to come to grips with awk. What I have: mplayer -v dvd:// -identify -vo null -ao null -nolirc -nojoystick -frames 0 2>/dev/null >> /tmp/MplayerOut ChapterStart=($(grep CHAPTERS: /tmp/MplayerOut |sed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rickenbacherus
3 Replies

4. Programming

Project ideas for GNU/Linux C and BASH development

Hello everyone... I'm trying to find an interesting project to work on for my master thesis. I like GNU/Linux C development and BASH scripting. Please give me any idea that flashes in your mind. I thank you in advance... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonx
3 Replies

5. HP-UX

Migrating from HP UX to LINUX/SOLARIS- which one is more preferable?

Hi all, We have an application that is running on HP-UX operating system (11i). the application is built using C, C++, ProC and ProC++ codes. we have been given two choices for migration: LINUX and SOLARIS. I would like to know the differences between the three OS and which OS to prefer... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pb0069950
3 Replies

6. Linux

Migrating RCS from HP-UX to Linux

Hello all, We would be migrating from HP-UX 11 to Red Hat Linux 5 shortly. On HP-UX we've been using RCS (Revision Control system). On RHEL I think there is an equivilant utility called Subversion..Is there a way to export the current contents from RCS in HP-UX and import it into Linux's... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: luft
2 Replies

7. AIX

Help migrating bash script to AIX machine

hey frnds I am trying to migrate a bash script over the AIX machine , but was getting error with ps and read commands, so I make the few changes in script and have also chnaged the shell from bash to ksh below is my script... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumit_saxena
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting from Linux bash (GNU) to Solaris script syntax errors

Original script written on CentOS 6.3 with GNU bash 4.1.2 Destination system is Solaris 9 with GNU bash 2.05 (not changeable by me) I have a script written on the linux side but now we need to provide a version to another site that "doesn't like linux". I've been going through changing the ] or... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: oly_r
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed problems - Bash Script

Hi I keep getting the following error sed: -e expression #1, char 32: unterminated `s' command sed: -e expression #1, char 35: unterminated `s' command sed: -e expression #1, char 35: unterminated `s' command whenever I use the following bash script #! /bin/bash... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spbr
2 Replies
bup-fuse(1)						      General Commands Manual						       bup-fuse(1)

NAME
bup-fuse - mount a bup repository as a filesystem SYNOPSIS
bup fuse [-d] [-f] [-o] <mountpoint> DESCRIPTION
bup fuse opens a bup repository and exports it as a fuse(7) userspace filesystem. This feature is only available on systems (such as Linux) which support FUSE. WARNING: bup fuse is still experimental and does not enforce any file permissions! All files will be readable by all users. When you're done accessing the mounted fuse filesystem, you should unmount it with umount(8). OPTIONS
-d, --debug run in the foreground and print FUSE debug information for each request. -f, --foreground run in the foreground and exit only when the filesystem is unmounted. -o, --allow-other permit other users to access the filesystem. Necessary for exporting the filesystem via Samba, for example. EXAMPLE
rm -rf /tmp/buptest mkdir /tmp/buptest sudo bup fuse -d /tmp/buptest ls /tmp/buptest/*/latest ... umount /tmp/buptest SEE ALSO
fuse(7), fusermount(1), bup-ls(1), bup-ftp(1), bup-restore(1), bup-web(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-fuse(1)