Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Command needed
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Command needed Post 302886064 by cjcox on Wednesday 29th of January 2014 01:44:41 PM
Old 01-29-2014
Code:
mydate='20130301'
mydate=`echo "${mydate}" | sed 's,\(....\)\(..\)\(..\),\1-\2-\3,'`

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed in ls command

Hi all, i need to write an ls command which will pick up ind_01.txt/pak_01.txt from ind_01.txt pak_01.txt usa_01.txt files in a directory.. i wrote a ls command by storing ind and pak in 2 variables and listing it. Its working fine. But the pattern to be matched should be sent in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anju
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed in fuser command

Hi all, I want to know if fuser command can be used to check if a file is being written or not??? Thanks In Advance Anju (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anju
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Solaris command needed.......

Hi can anyone tell me what command should i use to find the files which have been created within 24hrs in / . I tried with this find mtime 24 / But its not working. Pls let me know to solve the issue. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinuvinod
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Needed in understanding this command

Hi All, I search the forum for my query, Glad that got solution to it. But i really want to understand how does this command work. sed -e ':a' -e 's/\("*\),\(*"\)/\1~\2/;ta' Basically it is replacing all the comma(,) characters in between quotes with a tilde. Specially what does ':a' ,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DSDexter
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help needed with find command

Hi, I'm a complete noobie at UNIX and have hit a problem. I'm using the 'Talend' ETL tool to try and extract flat files from UNIX on a weekly basis. The dates are maintained in a control table and the appropriate folder has been mounted. I am using a component in 'Talend' which enable... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: markee
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl command help needed

#!/bin/bash perl -nle' /(?:date|time|ref)/ and print join " ", /(?:date|time|ref)+/g or print ' inputfile Problem I have is that I want to delete words that are on the line of the 3 words above (date, time, and reference). However, I do not want to delete the words... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxkid
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dd command help needed.

Hi I m creating a file which will serve as a virtual harddisk . I m using following command to create a file. #dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/Sample.dat bs=1M count=1024 I have following doubts regarding the operation. 1) In above example i m creating a file with byte size of 1M .However in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Tar command needed

Lets say I have 100 files. in those files I need to search specific word and I want to tar all those files at once. how can I do that?tar -cvf test.tar |grep house *.*Will it work? Please wrap all code, files, input & output/errors in CODE tags. It makes them easier to read and preserves... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ded325
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux command needed

guys im new here and i need help with some linux commands. filea has keyword on each line identity aaa bbb ccc i have following commands. egrep 'www.identity' ~/home/m3 >~/home/lopo2 wc -l file ~/home/lopo2 say lopo2 has 44 lines then output saved is identity 44 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahfze
1 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help needed - UNIX command

The 'env' command prints out all of the environment variables and their values. Come up with a command that prints a list of environment variables whose names end with either 'NAME', 'DIR' or 'PATH'. What I've tried. $ env | grep '' Although it highlights the part of the variables... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: edujs7
8 Replies
true(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   true(1)

NAME
true, false - Returns a standard exit value SYNOPSIS
true false STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: true: XCU5.0 false: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. DESCRIPTION
The true command returns a 0 (zero) exit value. The false command returns a nonzero exit value. These commands are usually used in input to shell commands. NOTES
The special built-in utility : (colon) is sometimes more efficient than the true command. EXIT STATUS
[Tru64 UNIX] The nonzero value returned by the false command may vary from system to system. EXAMPLES
To construct a loop in a shell procedure, enter: while true do date sleep 60 done This procedure displays the date and time once a minute. To stop it, press the Interrupt key sequence. SEE ALSO
Commands: csh(1), ksh(1), Bourne Shell sh(1b), POSIX shell sh(1p) Standards: standards(5) true(1)