Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Upgrading rootvg disks on the fly. Post 302884905 by acascianelli on Wednesday 22nd of January 2014 11:06:07 AM
Old 01-22-2014
Code:
# lsvg -l rootvg                                                                     
rootvg:                                                                              
LV NAME             TYPE       LPs     PPs     PVs  LV STATE      MOUNT POINT        
hd5                 boot       1       1       1    closed/syncd  N/A                
hd6                 paging     4       4       1    open/syncd    N/A                
hd8                 jfs2log    1       1       1    open/syncd    N/A                
hd4                 jfs2       3       3       1    open/syncd    /                  
hd2                 jfs2       21      21      1    open/syncd    /usr               
hd9var              jfs2       5       5       1    open/syncd    /var               
hd3                 jfs2       1       1       1    open/syncd    /tmp               
hd1                 jfs2       1       1       1    open/syncd    /home              
hd10opt             jfs2       1       1       1    open/syncd    /opt               
hd11admin           jfs2       1       1       1    open/syncd    /admin             
hd7                 sysdump    3       3       1    open/syncd    N/A                
fwdump              jfs2       1       1       1    open/syncd    /var/adm/ras/platfo
rm                                                                                   
livedump            jfs2       2       2       1    open/syncd    /var/adm/ras/livedu
mp                                                                                   
paging00            paging     19      19      1    closed/syncd  N/A                
# lsvg -p rootvg                                                                     
rootvg:                                                                              
PV_NAME           PV STATE          TOTAL PPs   FREE PPs    FREE DISTRIBUTION        
hdisk0            active            531         467         103..99..53..106..106    
#

There won't be available drive slots on the systems I plan on doing this on. This is why I was hoping it be as easy as swapping out the drives in the array one-by-one.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Flare version question... Upgrading from Cx400 Cx500 disks

EMC is asking what flare version servers are at. Does HPUX use flare and how can you find it? :confused: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rfmurphy_6
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rename files on the fly

Hi everyone, I am sort of new to shell scripting, I have a bunch of files that begin with 'blah' and I want to rename those files with something different (renamedFile1, renamedFile2, renamedFileN). I don't want to go through each file and rename them with the mv command. Could I just use a for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kcor
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mv and compress on the fly

I want to move and compress a big export file. Like mv file_exp /filesystem/file_exp |compress The file system is too small to compress and move with 2 steps. What is the best command for me. I'm running solaris. :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: simquest
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep logs on the fly

Hi, We use an application that is dumping logs to a file on disk. However, this is dumping very verbosely and there is no method of turning down the logging level. We need to remove certain contents from these before they are commited to disk. Has anybody got any ideas how I can do this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harperonline
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Disable IPMP on the fly

Wats would be the best way to disable link based IPMP on the fly without loosing network connectivity ? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read Files on the Fly

Hi, I am creating files in a folder on the fly with arbritrary names but same extension (say, ".img"). How can I read each filename from the folder through a script. regards Angshuman (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman_ag
2 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

The Only Way To Fly !

This is great! Lqh8e2KYIrU (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
8 Replies

8. HP-UX

Compress dbexport on the fly

Hi, I have an old HPUX 10.20 server running Informix 7.23 I need to dump the database to get it off that hardware before it dies. Unfortunately there is insufficient local diskspace to do so. I have set up a linux box with sufficient disk onto which I can export the database. Having... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fella
1 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

Creating An Executable On The Fly...

Hi all... Had an idea tonight which could really enhance shell scripting for me. Yes I am aware there could be difficulties but...... Creating a C script inside the shell script to do a task, (a simple text print to stdout in this example), compiling it on the fly, making sure it is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute script on the fly

Hi all, I am calling a zsh script from batch file . This zsh just removes the trigger file in a particular directory.File name is passed as a parameter from the batch file Problem is this batch is called in multiple other batch files and sometimes system says file cant be used as it is used... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hypesslearner
4 Replies
BIOCTL(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						 BIOCTL(8)

NAME
bioctl -- RAID management interface SYNOPSIS
bioctl device command [arg [...]] DESCRIPTION
RAID device drivers which support management functionality can register their services with the bio(4) driver. bioctl then can be used to manage the RAID controller's properties. COMMANDS
The following commands are supported: show [disks | volumes] Without any argument by default bioctl will show information about all volumes and the logical disks used on them. If disks is specified, only information about physical disks will be shown. If volumes is specified, only information about the volumes will be shown. alarm [disable | enable | silence | test] Control the RAID card's alarm functionality, if supported. By default if no argument is specified, its current state will be shown. Optionally the disable, enable, silence, or test arguments may be specified to enable, disable, silence, or test the RAID card's alarm. blink start channel:target.lun | stop channel:target.lun Instruct the device at channel:target.lun to start or cease blinking, if there's ses(4) support in the enclosure. hotspare add channel:target.lun | remove channel:target.lun Create or remove a hot-spare drive at location channel:target.lun. passthru add DISKID channel:target.lun | remove channel:target.lun Create or remove a pass-through device. The DISKID argument specifies the disk that will be used for the new device, and it will be created at the location channel:target.lun. NOTE: Removing a pass-through device that has a mounted filesys- tem will lead to undefined behaviour. check start VOLID | stop VOLID Start or stop consistency volume check in the volume with index VOLID. NOTE: Not many RAID controllers support this fea- ture. create volume VOLID DISKIDs [SIZE] STRIPE RAID_LEVEL channel:target.lun Create a volume at index VOLID. The DISKIDs argument will specify the first and last disk, i.e.: 0-3 will use the disks 0, 1, 2, and 3. The SIZE argument is optional and may be specified if not all available disk space is wanted (also dependent of the RAID_LEVEL). The volume will have a stripe size defined in the STRIPE argument and it will be located at channel:target.lun. remove volume VOLID channel:target.lun Remove a volume at index VOLID and located at channel:target.lun. NOTE: Removing a RAID volume that has a mounted filesystem will lead to undefined behaviour. EXAMPLES
The following command, executed from the command line, shows the status of the volumes and its logical disks on the RAID controller: $ bioctl arcmsr0 show Volume Status Size Device/Label RAID Level Stripe ================================================================= 0 Building 468G sd0 ARC-1210-VOL#00 RAID 6 128KB 0% done 0:0 Online 234G 0:0.0 noencl <WDC WD2500YS-01SHB1 20.06C06> 0:1 Online 234G 0:1.0 noencl <WDC WD2500YS-01SHB1 20.06C06> 0:2 Online 234G 0:2.0 noencl <WDC WD2500YS-01SHB1 20.06C06> 0:3 Online 234G 0:3.0 noencl <WDC WD2500YS-01SHB1 20.06C06> To create a RAID 5 volume on the SCSI 0:15.0 location on the disks 0, 1, 2, and 3, with stripe size of 64Kb on the first volume ID, using all available free space on the disks: $ bioctl arcmsr0 create volume 0 0-3 64 5 0:15.0 To remove the volume 0 previously created at the SCSI 0:15.0 location: $ bioctl arcmsr0 remove volume 0 0:15.0 SEE ALSO
arcmsr(4), bio(4), cac(4), ciss(4), mfi(4) HISTORY
The bioctl command first appeared in OpenBSD 3.8, it was rewritten for NetBSD 5.0. AUTHORS
The bioctl interface was written by Marco Peereboom <marco@openbsd.org> and was rewritten with multiple features by Juan Romero Pardines <xtraeme@NetBSD.org>. BSD
March 16, 2008 BSD