Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to detect Hanged process in shell script? Post 302880907 by MadeInGermany on Tuesday 24th of December 2013 12:26:02 PM
Old 12-24-2013
In perl alarm 15 will send a SIGALRM to itself after 15 seconds. It immediately execs into the check_process_status, so this will be killed!
(While Ctrl-C sends SIGINT.)
The pkill is for terminating the corresponding Network process.
(kill and pkill send SIGTERM by default.)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to detect process

Dear Sir, Now I use oracle database on AIX server and found some user use iligal program such as development tool logon to my database. I want to detect the process of illegal program and kill it. Could you please suggest me to make detect process. Thank you very much Pkanonwe. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pkanonwe
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

how to check whether a script is running actively or hanged/ in deadlock)

Hi I have a doubt regarding process states in HP unix system. Is there a way to check whether a process is hanged or still actively running? I have few scripts which run for a long time. but sometimes these are getting hanged. But i'm never sure whether they are running or waiting in kind of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: truth
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

While killing the process, Script gets hanged. Please help me on this.

Hi Everyone, I have written a script to automate the docbase cleanup process on every weekly basis. That is in this script i have to shutdown the docbase and then kill all the process that are hanged except one process(epic process) and need to delete some log files and then i have to start the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sheethal
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need your HELP:: Shell script to detect paragraph in coordinate-based code.

Hi Friends!! I have obtained following output from a tool called pdftoxml: <xml> <text top="423" left="521" width="333" height="20" font="3">Although the the number of fuzzy rules of a system is </text> <text top="441" left="500" width="355" height="20" font="3">directly dependant on these... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: parshant_bvcoe
2 Replies

5. Solaris

How to know about a hanged process

Hi, My process is visible in 'ps' command but actually it is not working or it got hanged. This process is not generating any log. Now How can I know that my process got hanged. Please help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay1979
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to Kill Process(number of process) Unix/Solaris

Hi Experts, we do have a shell script for Unix Solaris, which will kill all the process manullay, it used to work in my previous env, but now it is throwing this error.. could some one please help me to resolve it This is how we execute the script (and this is the requirement) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonnyvic
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to detect key press in cgi shell script?

I want to detect key pressed in my .cgi web page, but it does not work even I found the code in other web site. My code is : #!/bin/sh #================================================= # PATH defination # ================================================... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shuinvy
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to detect that foreground process is waiting for input?

Hi, I have to create a script (ksh or perl) that starts certain number of parallel jobs (another scripts), each of them runs as a foreground process in a separate session. Plus I start monitoring job that has to determine if any of those scripts is expecting input from operator, and switch to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: andyh80
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Detect current shell inside a script

I wish to print my current shell which happens to be bash in my script check.sh more check.sh echo $0 echo `ps -p $$` But instead of printing it prints check.sh i.e the name of the script for both the commands. Can you please suggest how to print the current shell i m on inside the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to detect which process is run by what?

Hello, I am running under ubuntu 14.04 Very long time ago, I set a script (ban.sh) to block ip addresses abusing my system which was not active. I have not touched the server over six months or more. Today, after restart the system, ban.sh started running all of a sudden and keep submitting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
4 Replies
PGREP(1)							Linux User's Manual							  PGREP(1)

NAME
pgrep, pkill - look up or signal processes based on name and other attributes SYNOPSIS
pgrep [-cflvx] [-d delimiter] [-n|-o] [-P ppid,...] [-g pgrp,...] [-s sid,...] [-u euid,...] [-U uid,...] [-G gid,...] [-t term,...] [pat- tern] pkill [-signal] [-fvx] [-n|-o] [-P ppid,...] [-g pgrp,...] [-s sid,...] [-u euid,...] [-U uid,...] [-G gid,...] [-t term,...] [pattern] DESCRIPTION
pgrep looks through the currently running processes and lists the process IDs which matches the selection criteria to stdout. All the cri- teria have to match. For example, $ pgrep -u root sshd will only list the processes called sshd AND owned by root. On the other hand, $ pgrep -u root,daemon will list the processes owned by root OR daemon. pkill will send the specified signal (by default SIGTERM) to each process instead of listing them on stdout. OPTIONS
-c Suppress normal output; instead print a count of matching processes. -d delimiter Sets the string used to delimit each process ID in the output (by default a newline). (pgrep only.) -f The pattern is normally only matched against the process name. When -f is set, the full command line is used. -g pgrp,... Only match processes in the process group IDs listed. Process group 0 is translated into pgrep's or pkill's own process group. -G gid,... Only match processes whose real group ID is listed. Either the numerical or symbolical value may be used. -l List the process name as well as the process ID. (pgrep only.) -n Select only the newest (most recently started) of the matching processes. -o Select only the oldest (least recently started) of the matching processes. -P ppid,... Only match processes whose parent process ID is listed. -s sid,... Only match processes whose process session ID is listed. Session ID 0 is translated into pgrep's or pkill's own session ID. -t term,... Only match processes whose controlling terminal is listed. The terminal name should be specified without the "/dev/" prefix. -u euid,... Only match processes whose effective user ID is listed. Either the numerical or symbolical value may be used. -U uid,... Only match processes whose real user ID is listed. Either the numerical or symbolical value may be used. -v Negates the matching. -x Only match processes whose name (or command line if -f is specified) exactly match the pattern. -signal Defines the signal to send to each matched process. Either the numeric or the symbolic signal name can be used. (pkill only.) OPERANDS
pattern Specifies an Extended Regular Expression for matching against the process names or command lines. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Find the process ID of the named daemon: $ pgrep -u root named Example 2: Make syslog reread its configuration file: $ pkill -HUP syslogd Example 3: Give detailed information on all xterm processes: $ ps -fp $(pgrep -d, -x xterm) Example 4: Make all netscape processes run nicer: $ renice +4 `pgrep netscape` EXIT STATUS
0 One or more processes matched the criteria. 1 No processes matched. 2 Syntax error in the command line. 3 Fatal error: out of memory etc. NOTES
The process name used for matching is limited to the 15 characters present in the output of /proc/pid/stat. Use the -f option to match against the complete command line, /proc/pid/cmdline. The running pgrep or pkill process will never report itself as a match. BUGS
The options -n and -o and -v can not be combined. Let me know if you need to do this. Defunct processes are reported. SEE ALSO
ps(1), regex(7), signal(7), killall(1), skill(1), kill(1), kill(2) STANDARDS
pkill and pgrep were introduced in Sun's Solaris 7. This implementation is fully compatible. AUTHOR
Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho@ifi.uio.no> Albert Cahalan <albert@users.sf.net> is the current maintainer of the procps package. Please send bug reports to <procps-feedback@lists.sf.net> Linux October 5, 2007 PGREP(1)