Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: 'total 0' in ls output
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users 'total 0' in ls output Post 302879952 by solaris_1977 on Monday 16th of December 2013 04:38:05 PM
Old 12-16-2013
'total 0' in ls output

I have a Linux box, where some NAS shares are mounted. One script is running on it and failing because it first looks at second line of 'ls -l', when it says 'total 0', it fails.
If that directory is on local disk, it says 'total 38' and when same data is on NAS share, it says 'total 0' and it fails that script to run.
Is this something which can be changed ? I know that it shows block size occupied by data inside that directory, but why it doesn't show when same data is on NAS file-system ?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep running total/ final total across multiple files

Ok, another fun hiccup in my UNIX learning curve. I am trying to count the number of occurrences of an IP address across multiple files named example.hits. I can extract the number of occurrences from the files individually but when you use grep -c with multiple files you get the output similar to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrAd
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

du total

Hi All Can anyone help me with the following du querry. I am trying to achieve a total size for all the zipped files in a directory. Using du -k *.gz gets me a file by file list but no handy total at the bottom. Thanks Ed (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: C3000
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

total output from a file created in a while loop

I have a while loop which looks for files and then sets a variable to give me the record count of each file: current_members=`wc -l ${DATA_DIR}/$MEMBERS_FILENAME | nawk '{ printf "%d\n", $0}'` I am out putting the totals into a file: echo $current_members >> ../data/out_total_members.dat ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pablo_beezo
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate total space, total used space and total free space in filesystem names matching keyword

Good afternoon! Im new at scripting and Im trying to write a script to calculate total space, total used space and total free space in filesystem names matching a keyword (in this one we will use keyword virginia). Please dont be mean or harsh, like I said Im new and trying my best. Scripting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output no. of rows and total value of a file to a new file

I am relatively new to Unix and I would be grateful if someone could help me with the syntax of a script. I am trying to write a Unix script against the file ‘ajtest.dat’ (see below) so that it outputs the number of rows and total value of column 3 in a file called ‘aj1’ as follows: No. of... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajmutley
11 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explanation of "total" field in "ls -l" command output

When I do a listing in one particular directory (ls -al) I get: total 43456 drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 drwxrwxrwx 3 root root 4096 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3701594 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3108510 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3070580 -rwxrwxr-x 1 nobody nobody 3099733 -rwxrwxr-x 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
1 Replies

7. Solaris

What does total mean in ls -l output?

# ls -l | more total 12861 drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 512 Jun 20 21:57 Desktop drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 512 Oct 16 2010 Documents lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Oct 16 2010 bin -> ./usr/bin drwxr-xr-x 7 root sys 512 Oct 16 2010 boot drwxr-xr-x... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sum total number of record and total number of record problem asking

Input file SFSQW 5192.56 HNRNPK 611.486 QEQW 1202.15 ASDR 568.627 QWET 6382.11 SFSQW 4386.3 HNRNPK 100 SFSQW 500 Desired output file SFSQW 10078.86 3 QWET 6382.11 1 QEQW 1202.15 1 HNRNPK 711.49 2 ASDR 568.63 1 The way I tried: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Total

i want to list Total HDD count in any soalris machine..can someone suggest some commands or combinations of commands (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
6 Replies
scconf_quorum_dev_netapp_nas(1M)			  System Administration Commands			  scconf_quorum_dev_netapp_nas(1M)

NAME
scconf_quorum_dev_netapp_nas - add and remove shared Network Appliance network-attached storage (NAS) quorum devices and change various NAS cluster quorum configuration properties or states. SYNOPSIS
scconf {-a|-c|-r} -q name=devicename otheroptions DESCRIPTION
Note - Beginning with the Sun Cluster 3.2 release, Sun Cluster software includes an object-oriented command set. Although Sun Cluster software still supports the original command set, Sun Cluster procedural documentation uses only the object-oriented command set. For more infor- mation about the object-oriented command set, see the Intro(1CL) man page. A Network Appliance NAS device can be configured as a quorum device for Sun Cluster. The NAS configuration information consists of: o a device name, which must be unique across quorum devices o a filer name, which defaults to the device name if not specified o a LUN ID, which defaults to 0 if not specified To provide support for NAS devices as quorum devices, the administrator must install the quorum device support module provided by Network Appliance. If this module is not available, scconfprevents the addition of the quorum device. See Sun Cluster With Network-Attached Storage Devices Manual for Solaris OS for instructions about obtaining the support module. Additionally, the iSCSI license must be valid for the Network Appliance device. OPTIONS
The following options can be used for NAS quorum devices. See scconf(1M) for the list of supported generic options. See scconf_quo- rum_dev_netapp_nas(1M) for options that are specific to shared disk quorum devices. The add and remove forms of the command are used to add and remove NAS quorum devices to or from the configuration. The change form of the command is used for changing various properties of cluster quorum configuration. Before you add a quorum device, you must set up and configure the device and the logical unit number (LUN) on the device to be configured as a quorum device. For detailed procedures, see your Network Appliance documentation. For Sun Cluster requirements of device setup, see Sun Cluster With Network-Attached Storage Devices Manual for Solaris OS. After the quorum device is added, you cannot change the type. Add a NAS quorum device: -q -a name=devicename,type=netapp_nas[,filer=filer-name][,lun_id=0] Change a NAS quorum device's configuration: -q -c name=devicename,{maintstate | reset} Remove a NAS quorum device: -q -r name=devicename The -q option supports the following Network Appliance NAS-specific suboptions: filer=filer-name Specifies the name of the device on the network that you can use to access the NAS device when you are using rsh or telnet. lun_id=0 Specifies the LUN ID on the NAS device that will be a NAS quorum device. The LUN ID defaults to 0. When scconf is interrupted or fails while performing quorum-related operations, quorum configuration information can become inconsistent in the cluster configuration database. If an inconsistency occurs, either run the same scconf command again or run it with the reset option to reset the quorum information. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Adding Network Appliance NAS Quorum Devices The following scconf command adds the Network Appliance NAS quorum device qd1. -a -q name=qd1,type=netapp_nas,filer=nas1.sun.com,lun_id=0 Example 2 Removing Network Appliance NAS Quorum Devices The following scconf command removes the Network Appliance NAS quorum device qd1. -r -q name=qd1 ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWsczu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
Intro(1CL), clquorum(1CL), cluster(1CL), scconf(1M), scconf-quorum-dev-scsi(1M) Sun Cluster 3.2 10 Apr 2006 scconf_quorum_dev_netapp_nas(1M)