Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Linux LVM.. Grub not loading from replaced disk Post 302862633 by busyboy on Friday 11th of October 2013 06:50:07 AM
Old 10-11-2013
Hi,

i have created a Grub Partition on the disk drive as it recommended in a Guide

I have two 3 TB disks with mirroring. Is there anything related to creating the disk replication and then attaching it or something else?

Regards,
NMR

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

disk adding through lvm

Hi dear(s) Can u explain how to add a disk through lvm with commands. I need to add a 9 gb scsi HS disk to a Hp D class 9000 server. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreekumar.R
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

GRUB and booting from LVM volumes?

I'm setting-up my new computer, and would like to try out and switch between several OS (mostly different Linux distros). As I prefer to use separate partition for various dirs (/, home, usr, var, opt and perhaps local), I've come to the conclution that I'll run-out of partitions too soon, so I've... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: koppe
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

grub loading stage 1.5.

Hi people,I am trying to install Debian Lenny Betta-2 on a system that has the built in promise chip for "Raid 0" but when I finished the install and then I reboot ,I get "grub loading,pleas wate... Error 2. also the Debian Lenny Betta-2 is identifying both drives ,instead of a singular drive... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thegreatalsky
4 Replies

4. AIX

Disk I/O Issue using LVM

We have a filesystem which contains 8 hard disks but i am facing disk I/O issue becuase data is not spreading across all the disks.Is there any way i can check how data is spreading and any parameter we need to change to spread ata across all disks. OS--AIX 5.3 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ukatru
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

Grub is not loading the correct kernel

All I am trying to get RHEL 5.4 to load to the XEN enabled kernel but I am not having much luck. My grub.conf looks like it has 2.6.18-194.11.3.el5xen as the 1st one but when I do a uname -a I get the NON xen enabled kernel. I know I am doing something stupid but if anybody has any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: razor3928
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Veritas not attaching replaced disk

Hi, I`m on SunFire480R with Solaris 10. Disk in rootdg group failed, so it was replaced. However, I cannot make Veritas initalise the replaced disk: # vxdctl enable # vxdisk list c1t0d0s2 Device: c1t0d0s2 devicetag: c1t0d0 type: auto flags: online error private autoconfig... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: masloff
1 Replies

7. Linux

Grub not loading from replaced disk

Hi, a little while ago, one of the GPT Partitioned hard disk had gone faulty in a Mirror RAID and is now successfully replaced. here is how I did that. 1) created identical partition table on the new disk. 2) attached the mirrors using md commands. The whole procedure is given below:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: busyboy
2 Replies

8. HP-UX

LVM: is possible to replace a disk?

Scenario1: VG00 lvm,not mirrored,2 disk of 36GB vg size VG00 size is under 30G. Is possible to remove a disk of 36GB and replace "on fly" with a disk of 300GB on VG00? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linusolaradm1
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

LVM, Troubles with adding another Disk

I am having trouble with LVM and one of my physical volumes. Using Ubuntu Desktop 14.04 I was trying to set up LVM across two disks (not containing the OS or Home). First I created the initial Physical Volume, the Volume Group, and the Logical volume, and everything seemed fine. The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JR_ULFOR
2 Replies

10. AIX

Replaced pdisk not showing up in SAS Disk Array Configuration

OSLevel: 5300-10-02-0943 System Model: IBM,8203-E4A Power 6 == Hi! I replaced a failed pdisk in the raid enclosure as follows, - rmdev -l 'pdisk18' '-d' - Replaced it. - cfgmgr (detected) - I can see the new drive, with the correct serial # lscfg -v -l pdisk18 pdisk18... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: estrar
2 Replies
RK(4)							     Kernel Interfaces Manual							     RK(4)

NAME
rk - RK-11/RK05 disk SYNOPSIS
/sys/conf/SYSTEM: NRK rk_drives # RK05 /etc/dtab: #Name Unit# Addr Vector Br Handler(s) # Comments rk ? 177400 220 5 rkintr # rk05 major device number(s): raw: 15 block: 6 minor device encoding: specifies drive: <rk_drive> DESCRIPTION
Minor device numbers are drive numbers on one controller. The standard device names begin with ``rk'' followed by the drive number and then the letter "h". The character ? stands here for a drive number in the range 0-7. The block files access the disk via the system's normal buffering mechanism and may be read and written without regard to physical disk records. There is also a `raw' interface which provides for direct transmission between the disk and the user's read or write buffer. A single read or write call results in exactly one I/O operation and therefore raw I/O is considerably more efficient when many words are transmitted. The names of the raw files conventionally begin with an extra `r.' In raw I/O the buffer must begin on a word (even) boundary, and counts should be a multiple of 512 bytes (a disk sector). Likewise seek calls should specify a multiple of 512 bytes. DISK SUPPORT
The rk driver does not support pseudo-disks (partitions). Each file rk?h refers to the entire drive as a single sequentially addressed file. Each drive has 4872 512-byte blocks. It's not clear what one would do with one of these drives if one had one ... FILES
/dev/rk[0-7]h block files /dev/rrk[0-7]h raw files /dev/MAKEDEV script to create special files /dev/MAKEDEV.local script to localize special files SEE ALSO
hk(4), ra(4), ram(4), rl(4), rp(4), rx(4), si(4), xp(4), dtab(5), autoconfig(8) DIAGNOSTICS
rk%d: hard error sn%d er=%b ds=%b. An unrecoverable error occurred during transfer of the specified sector of the specified disk. The contents of the two error registers are also printed in octal and symbolically with bits decoded. The error was either unrecoverable, or a large number of retry attempts could not recover the error. rk%d: write locked. The write protect switch was set on the drive when a write was attempted. The write operation is not recoverable. BUGS
In raw I/O read and write(2) truncate file offsets to 512-byte block boundaries, and write scribbles on the tail of incomplete blocks. Thus, in programs that are likely to access raw devices, read, write and lseek(2) should always deal in 512-byte multiples. DEC-standard error logging should be supported. A program to analyze the logged error information (even in its present reduced form) is needed. 3rd Berkeley Distribution August 20, 1987 RK(4)