Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: VIO SEA Adapters
Operating Systems AIX VIO SEA Adapters Post 302842695 by karlochacon on Friday 9th of August 2013 04:59:41 PM
Old 08-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmtech
Yes indeed, you are correct.
But, again there are few things you have to consider before creating SEA, you mentioned that these are Blade Servers, so how are you viewing them, through HMC or IVM? How many VIOS you have on each Blade?

If you have only one VIO on each blade, then SEA holds no good, coz it won't failover. If you have two VIOS, then only you are good to go for SEA.

Now, considering you have two VIOS, we have to figure out which virtual adapter (out of the 4) is your primary adapter and which is control channel adapter. You can check the profile (of virtual adapter) if a adapter has been check as access external network, and given a trunking priority then it is your primary adapter, for control channel adapter you WONT select access external network, and most shops give it a vlan no of 99 (purely environment based, so such standard), so as to distinguish control channel adapter from others.

You cannot use smitty (in rksh), you have to use mkdev command to create SEA.
$ mkvdev -sea "real adapt" -vadapter "primary virt adapt" -default "primary virt adapt" -defaultid "PVID" -attr ha_mode=auto ctrl_chan="control channel adapt"

Hope this helps.
Yes this is IBM Blades.
- I am using IVM.
- Just one VIO is installed.

So in that case having just one VIOs which is the option for high availability when one physical NIC fails?

I added a PDF with IVM NICs Config

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

20EE0008 : No adapters found Adapter, Riser, System Bd.

Hello, When I try to upgrade AIX from 5.1 to 5.3 I get this error message 20EE0008 : No adapters found Adapter, Riser, System Bd. Anyone know anything about it ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
1 Replies

2. AIX

vio server and vio client

Hi, I want to know wheather partition size for installation of vio client can be specified on vio server example If I am installing vio server on blade with 2*300gb hard disk,after that I want to create 2 vio client (AIX Operating system) wheather I can specify hard disk size while... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

Designating Default Gateway for multiple networks/adapters

Hi I have 4 NIC's connected to my RHEL 5.3 server. Two on one subnet creating bond0, and two on a second subnet which create bond1. Both bonds are set to use DHCP to obtain IP addresses. Here is the config file for ifcfg-bond0: DHCP_HOSTNAME=rrnltshckvmx001 DEVICE=bond0 BOOTPROTO=dhcp... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Padow
2 Replies

4. AIX

SEA

Hi all, I set up the following configuration on my system: - An LPar with a virtual adapter, first one with a vlan id=703 and id port=13. - The first adapter have to connect to a VIOS in which i configured an SEA. So, the VA is set up on interface ent2, SEA on ent29 (by linking a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: idro
0 Replies

5. AIX

vio server ethernet to vio client ethernet(concepts confusing)

Hi In the vio server when I do # lsattr -El hdisk*, I get a PVID. The same PVID is also seen when I put the lspv command on the vio client partition. This way Im able to confirm the lun using the PVID. Similarly how does the vio client partition gets the virtual ethernet scsi client adapter... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
1 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Order of Adapters in Windows 7

I am trying to get my boss' ipad to print on our local printers, and rapidly coming to loathe the product. After several false starts I'm attempting to use the free WePrint application, running on a Windows machine, to "forward" our printers from it to the ipad over the local network. I've hit... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corona688
2 Replies

7. AIX

VIOS - fibre adapters not seeing luns

Hi guys, I've been trying to tackle this issue for days and I'm stumped. Hopefully someone can give more light on what else I can do. I have a p7 series box, with dual VIOS and 10 lpars and everything was working fine until I had to move the box to another location in the data centre. Ensured... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixkidbee
16 Replies
bt-agent(1)							    bluez-tools 						       bt-agent(1)

NAME
bt-adapter - a bluetooth agent SYNOPSIS
bt-agent [OPTION...] Help Options: -h, --help Application Options: -a, --adapter=<name|mac> DESCRIPTION
This interactive utility is used to manage incoming Bluetooth requests (eg. request of pincode, request of authorize a connection/service request, etc). OPTIONS
-h, --help Show help -a, --adapter <name|mac> Specify adapter to use by his Name or MAC address (if this option does not defined - default adapter used) AUTHOR
Alexander Orlenko <zxteam@gmail.com>. SEE ALSO
bt-adapter(1) bt-audio(1) bt-device(1) bt-input(1) bt-monitor(1) bt-network(1) bt-serial(1) 2010-08-11 bt-agent(1)