Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Simple awk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Simple awk Post 302838443 by Corona688 on Monday 29th of July 2013 05:12:21 PM
Old 07-29-2013
Seeing the contents of show-log.sh would be helpful in deducing why show-log.sh is misbehaving.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with a simple script using awk

I need a hand with this simple script, in Unix i have a variable called portal: $ echo $portal chu0 when i use awk this variable is not recognized. How can i make awk recognize and print the value of this variable, since the output is not shown i.e. awk ' BEGIN {printf("%4s\t%14s\n",... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple awk

when I execute this awk stmt .. awk "/log_directory/ { print $5}" /opt/dba/oraadmin/tools/tmp_purge_op.log it's returning the whole line as .. IRMD118_LISTENER1 parameter "log_directory" set to /opt/oracle/10.2/network/log/ my expected output is : /opt/oracle/10.2/network/log what... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: talashil
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple awk help

Whats the syntax to find all lines that matches a text and print out specific fields after the match? ex: 1: some random text 2: Full name: John E. Smith 3: some random text 4: Full name: Mary J. Lue 5: some random text So I'd like to print out First names or last names or everything... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxdude
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with simple awk script

Hi, I just don't understand awk. I think I'm close here but can someone give me a hand to finish this little parsing routine ? the input file is formatted like this: District 2502110 Gsub 2384889 Gsub 1428180 District 2502220 Gsub 1466390 Gsub 1466389 Gsub 1466388 Gsub 1466386 Gsub... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fwellers
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please explain this simple AWK example

awk '!_++' Most importantly, I want to know what the underscore does "!_" But ideally, please breakdown the whole thing. It is supposed to remove duplicate lines when found in a file. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glev2005
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple awk problem II

Hello; Trying to figure out how to keep just the contents between the two search lines: awk '/regexp_1/ ,/regexp_2/' I do not want lines containing regexp_1 and regexp_2 in the output. Thank you for any ideas Video tutorial on how to use code tags in The UNIX and Linux Forums. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: delphys
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

another simple awk problem

Hello; I need to print two previous lines after searching for a reg exp: awk '/haywood/' should produce the following =================== p9J46THe020804 89922 Tue Oct 18 21:06 MAILER-DAEMON (host map: lookup (haywood.com): deferred) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: delphys
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with simple comparison in AWK

Hi, I'm new to AWK and I'm having problems comparing a field to a string variable. /ARTIST/ {x = $2} $1 ~ x {print $0}My code tries to find a record with the string "ARTIST". Once it finds it, it stores the second field of the record into a variable. I don't know what the problem is for the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: klusps
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple awk use

Hi, I have a file such that: 40454,31,48,4,1304.967741935484,1 31708,25,48,4,1268.32,1 20900,64501,671,788,0.3240259840932699,0 20137,51358,834,743,0.3920908135051988,0 I want to replace the 6th column by "ones" if it is 1, and with "zeros" if it is 0. Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar2010us
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple awk help

Hey all, so I'm using AWK in a project at work, to generate xml from csv. So far things are going relatively smoothly, but I have one thing I can't figure out. For every field in each row, I must generate <entry name=KWNamex>Field</entry> Then I will need to pull data from a second file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Parrakarry
6 Replies
LAST,LASTB(1)						Linux System Administrator's Manual					     LAST,LASTB(1)

NAME
last, lastb - show listing of last logged in users SYNOPSIS
last [-R] [-num] [ -n num ] [-adFiowx] [ -f file ] [ -t YYYYMMDDHHMMSS ] [name...] [tty...] lastb [-R] [-num] [ -n num ] [ -f file ] [-adFiowx] [name...] [tty...] DESCRIPTION
Last searches back through the file /var/log/wtmp (or the file designated by the -f flag) and displays a list of all users logged in (and out) since that file was created. Names of users and tty's can be given, in which case last will show only those entries matching the arguments. Names of ttys can be abbreviated, thus last 0 is the same as last tty0. When last catches a SIGINT signal (generated by the interrupt key, usually control-C) or a SIGQUIT signal (generated by the quit key, usu- ally control-), last will show how far it has searched through the file; in the case of the SIGINT signal last will then terminate. The pseudo user reboot logs in each time the system is rebooted. Thus last reboot will show a log of all reboots since the log file was created. Lastb is the same as last, except that by default it shows a log of the file /var/log/btmp, which contains all the bad login attempts. OPTIONS
-f file Tells last to use a specific file instead of /var/log/wtmp. -num This is a count telling last how many lines to show. -n num The same. -t YYYYMMDDHHMMSS Display the state of logins as of the specified time. This is useful, e.g., to determine easily who was logged in at a particular time -- specify that time with -t and look for "still logged in". -R Suppresses the display of the hostname field. -a Display the hostname in the last column. Useful in combination with the next flag. -d For non-local logins, Linux stores not only the host name of the remote host but its IP number as well. This option translates the IP number back into a hostname. -F Print full login and logout times and dates. -i This option is like -d in that it displays the IP number of the remote host, but it displays the IP number in numbers-and-dots nota- tion. -o Read an old-type wtmp file (written by linux-libc5 applications). -w Display full user and domain names in the output. -x Display the system shutdown entries and run level changes. NOTES
The files wtmp and btmp might not be found. The system only logs information in these files if they are present. This is a local configura- tion issue. If you want the files to be used, they can be created with a simple touch(1) command (for example, touch /var/log/wtmp). FILES
/var/log/wtmp /var/log/btmp AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl SEE ALSO
shutdown(8), login(1), init(8) Jul 31, 2004 LAST,LASTB(1)