Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk question : system output to awk variable. Post 302797491 by Yoda on Monday 22nd of April 2013 04:17:06 PM
Old 04-22-2013
An excerpt from awk manual
Code:
expression | getline [var]

Read a record of input from a stream piped from the output of a command. The stream will be created if no stream is currently open with the value 
of expression as its command name. The stream created will be equivalent to one created by a call to the popen() function with the value of expression 
as the command argument and a value of r as the mode argument. As long as the stream remains open, subsequent calls in which expression evaluates 
to the same string value will read subsequent records from the file. The stream will remain open until the close function is called with an expression 
that evaluates to the same string value. At that time, the stream will be closed as if by a call to the pclose() function. If var is missing, $0 and 
NF will be set; otherwise, var will be set. The getline operator can form ambiguous constructs when there are 
unparenthesised operators (including concatenate) to the left of the "|" (to the beginning of the expression containing getline). 
In the context of the "$" operator, "|" behaves as if it had a lower precedence than "$". The result of evaluating other operators is 
unspecified, and portable applications must parenthesis properly all such usages.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to output awk to a variable

Hi folks, I am wondering how to output awk back to a variable. I am new to Unix/Linux. I am trying to get rid of a decimal number and put the output back in a variable for further use in the script. here is how I used awk: var=$1 echo $var |awk '{print $1 *100}' | $var echo $var this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashirpopal
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

can I pass awk variable to system command?

I wanna use a system function to deal with several data. So I use awk variable FILENAME to transfer the file directory to system command, but it does not work. I use a shell function "out_function" to deal with data and save the result in another directory with the same file name. How can I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zhynxn
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Output into a variable

Hi I am trying to store the output of awk into a variable in a shell script. I can run it successfully from the command line but not from a ksh shell script. ls -al test.txt | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1}' returns -rw-r--r-- #!/bin/ksh perm=$(`ls -al test.txt | grep -v grep | awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mace_560
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk output in a variable

Not sure why it is not working the following : set -- $@ stype ="a" for shell_args in "$@" do $stype=` awk '{print substr ("'"$shell_args"'", 0, 3)}' ` echo $stype done Thank you (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: andaluzia
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

system () output into file in awk

hello, I want to print my output into a file inside of awk, but I don't know it could wokr with using system (piping the $1-4 to another shellskript): cat file.txt |awk '{ if ($5==2) {dataname=$1 "_" $2 "_" $3 "_" $4 "_typing.rad" befehl=".gen_test " $7 " " $8 " " $8 system(befehl) >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ergy1983
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing awk's system(cmd) output

Hi everybody, I am working on a bigger awk script in which one part is comparing the size of two files. I want to evaluate which file is bigger and then just save the bigger one. I got it all working except for the part where I want to figure out which file is bigger; the one awk is currently... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iMeal
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

using awk for setting variable but change the output of this variable within awk

Hi all, Hope someone can help me out here. I have this BASH script (see below) My problem lies with the variable path. The output of the command find will give me several fields. The 9th field is the path. I want to captured that and the I want to filter this to a specific level. The... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cowardly
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

help on awk---- need to assign the output of awk to a variable

hi i want to find the size of a folder and assign it to a variable and then compare if it is greater than 1 gb. i am doin this script, but it is throwing error.... #!/bin/ksh cd . | du -s | size = awk '{print $1}' if size >= 112000 then echo size high fi ERROR : (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nithz
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: How to get an awk variable out to the shell, using system() ?

I am reasonably capable with awk and its quirks, but not with shell weirdness. This has to be Bourne Shell for portability reasons. I have an awk program that is working just fine; it handles multiple input streams and produces several reports, based on the request (-v Variables). In addition... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DerekAsirvadem
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Using variable output in awk

Hi, I am trying to use variable output in awk to append a string to a word in a line. But that is not happening. Could you please help me on this. YouTube Video Tutorial: How to Use Code Tags and Format Posts @UNIX.com The below is the code #!/bin/ksh set -x src=/users/oracle/Temp... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pvmanikandan
2 Replies
DWARF_NEW_EXPR(3)					   BSD Library Functions Manual 					 DWARF_NEW_EXPR(3)

NAME
dwarf_new_expr -- create a location expression descriptor LIBRARY
DWARF Access Library (libdwarf, -ldwarf) SYNOPSIS
#include <libdwarf.h> Dwarf_P_Expr dwarf_new_expr(Dwarf_P_Debug dbg, Dwarf_Error *err); DESCRIPTION
Function dwarf_new_expr() allocates a DWARF location expression descriptor used to build up a location expression stream. The application can use the functions dwarf_add_expr_gen(3) and dwarf_add_expr_addr_b(3) to add location expression operators to the created descriptor. When done, the application can call the function dwarf_expr_into_block(3) to retrieve the generated byte stream for the location expression, or call the function dwarf_add_AT_location_expr(3) to create an attribute with the location expression stream as its value. Argument dbg should reference a DWARF producer instance allocated using dwarf_producer_init(3) or dwarf_producer_init_b(3). If argument err is not NULL, it will be used to store error information in case of an error. RETURN VALUES
On success, function dwarf_new_expr() returns the created location expression descriptor. In case of an error, function dwarf_new_expr() returns DW_DLV_BADADDR and sets the argument err. ERRORS
Function dwarf_new_expr() can fail with: [DW_DLE_ARGUMENT] Argument dbg was NULL. [DW_DLE_MEMORY] An out of memory condition was encountered during the execution of the function. EXAMPLES
To create a location expression descriptor, add location expression operators to it and to retrieve the generated byte stream, use: Dwarf_P_Debug dbg; Dwarf_Error de; Dwarf_P_Expr pe; Dwarf_Addr buf; Dwarf_Unsigned len; /* ...Assume that `dbg' refers to a DWARF producer instance... */ if ((pe = dwarf_new_expr(dbg, &de)) == DW_DLV_BADADDR) { warnx("dwarf_new_expr failed: %s", dwarf_errmsg(-1)); return; } if (dwarf_add_expr_gen(pe, DW_OP_regx, 55, 0, &de) == DW_DLV_NOCOUNT) { warnx("dwarf_add_expr_gen failed: %s", dwarf_errmsg(-1)); return; } if ((buf = dwarf_expr_into_block(pe, &len, &de)) == DW_DLV_BADADDR) { warnx("dwarf_expr_into_block failed: %s", dwarf_errmsg(-1)); return; } SEE ALSO
dwarf(3), dwarf_add_AT_location_expr(3), dwarf_add_expr_gen(3), dwarf_add_expr_addr(3), dwarf_add_expr_addr_b(3), dwarf_expr_current_offset(3), dwarf_expr_into_block(3), dwarf_producer_init(3), dwarf_producer_init_b(3) BSD
September 8, 2011 BSD