Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cleaner way to use shell variable in awk /X/,/Y/ syntax? Post 302794803 by alister on Tuesday 16th of April 2013 06:32:55 PM
Old 04-16-2013
Hello, hanson44:

You can explicitly use the match operator:
Code:
awk '$0 ~ a, $0 ~ b' a='^START' b='^END' file

When you use /pat1/,/pat2/, that's just shorthand for what my code is doing above. That shorthand however requires regular expression literals. When using the matching operator explicitly, the right-hand side can be an expression of any type. If that expression is not a regular expression literal, its string value is evaluated as a regular expression.

Regards,
Alister
This User Gave Thanks to alister For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

C-shell: variable syntax question

There is a possibility to set a variable, having an another variable in it's name: prompt% setenv PRT one prompt% setenv VAR_${PRT} value prompt% So, this way the VAR_one = "value" and could be viewed: prompt% echo VAR_one value prompt% Q: How to view a variable having another... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk Shell Script error : "Syntax Error : `Split' unexpected

hi there i write one awk script file in shell programing the code is related to dd/mm/yy to month, day year format but i get an error please can anybody help me out in this problem ?????? i give my code here including error awk ` # date-month -- convert mm/dd/yy to month day,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Herry
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell variable with awk

line_no=6 echo 'Phone,' `awk 'NR==$line_no{print;exit}' <filename>` what is the error in this.. it says.. awk: Field $() is not correct. The input line number is 1. The file is <filename>. The source line number is 1. i want to print the data in the $line_no line of a certain... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: St.Fartatric
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

Dear All, we have a command output which looks like : Total 200 queues in 30000 Kbytes and we're going to get "200" and "30000" for further process. currently, i'm using : numA=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $2}' numB=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $5}' my question is : can I use just one... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger2000
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with awk and accessing variable values within the syntax

I'm writing a bash script, and I am having trouble with this line: awk '{print "url = \"http://www.example.com/directory/$type/"$1"\""}' input.file > output.file Within the URL being printed, I wish the value of the variable "$type" to be printed, after being read from user input from the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meridionaljet
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use shell variable in awk?

How do you use a shell variable in awk? I am using Solaris 10 and don't have GNU products installed. File (transportation.txt) contents: car boat airplane snowmobile bicycle sled This awk statment works (prints from the car line down to bicycle awk '/car/,/bicycle/'... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: thibodc
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk syntax(partial) in variable

if a variable has part of awk syntax stored in it. for eg: x=if($1>100) can we substitute this variable in an awk statement. based on above requirement can we execute something like: awk '{x print $1}' infile (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 47shailesh
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk if one liner syntax for equating with a string variable

I would like to have help with syntax for using a string varaibles inside if and else in a awk one liner. Eg. I would like to say, list all the filenames that have been modified in a particular month(present in a string variable) or list all the filenames whose owner is $owns and owner group is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prev
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: How to get an awk variable out to the shell, using system() ?

I am reasonably capable with awk and its quirks, but not with shell weirdness. This has to be Bourne Shell for portability reasons. I have an awk program that is working just fine; it handles multiple input streams and produces several reports, based on the request (-v Variables). In addition... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DerekAsirvadem
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How can I assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

I have the following script, and I want to assign the output ($10 and $5) from awk to N and L: grdinfo data.grd | awk '{print $10,$5}'| read N L output from gridinfo data.grd is: data.grd 50 100 41 82 -2796 6944 0.016 0.016 3001 2461. where N and L is suppose to be 3001 and 100. I use... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: geomarine
8 Replies
REGEX(3)						     Library Functions Manual							  REGEX(3)

NAME
re_comp, re_exec - regular expression handler SYNOPSIS
char *re_comp(s) char *s; re_exec(s) char *s; DESCRIPTION
Re_comp compiles a string into an internal form suitable for pattern matching. Re_exec checks the argument string against the last string passed to re_comp. Re_comp returns 0 if the string s was compiled successfully; otherwise a string containing an error message is returned. If re_comp is passed 0 or a null string, it returns without changing the currently compiled regular expression. Re_exec returns 1 if the string s matches the last compiled regular expression, 0 if the string s failed to match the last compiled regular expression, and -1 if the compiled regular expression was invalid (indicating an internal error). The strings passed to both re_comp and re_exec may have trailing or embedded newline characters; they are terminated by nulls. The regular expressions recognized are described in the manual entry for ed(1), given the above difference. SEE ALSO
ed(1), ex(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), grep(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Re_exec returns -1 for an internal error. Re_comp returns one of the following strings if an error occurs: No previous regular expression, Regular expression too long, unmatched (, missing ], too many () pairs, unmatched ). 3rd Berkeley Distribution May 15, 1985 REGEX(3)