Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Getting a variable and output to use later on in script Post 302756127 by vpundit on Tuesday 15th of January 2013 08:44:40 AM
Old 01-15-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubler_XL
For the VAR assign line try:

Code:
VAR=$(/apps/mkusr/crypt.pl ${CRYPT} mypassword)

that did the trick thank you!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls command output to variable in script

Hi, I wrote a script to get the oldest file from a directory path (which is passed as a parameter to the script) ######################################################### XMLFILE_PATH={$1} cd $XMLFILE_PATH JPM_FILENAME = `(ls -tr User* | head -1)` #echo $JPM_FILENAME ###### END... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsrookie
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Storing lines of output into a script variable

I'm sure this is a simple thing but I can't figure it out. In a script that I'm writing, I'd like to be able to store each line of output from "ls -l" into a variable. Ultimately I'd like to end up with something like: for a in `ls -l` do something with $a doneBut that's reading each... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ewoods
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to assign the output of the interective script to the variable

Hi, I work in ksh88. I have an interective script which prompts the user for the input and returns numeric value depending on the input provided. I need to call this script inside another script and then assign the resulting output the the variable. The call like that A=`my script` obviously... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to give a variable output name in a shell script inside a for loop

Hi all I run my program prog.c in the following way : $ ./prog 1 > output.txt where 1 is a user defined initial value used by the program. But now I want to run it for many a thousand initial values, 1-1000, and store all the outputs in different files. Like $ ./prog 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alice06
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing output of procedure in variable in shell script

Hi guys I am calling one DB2 stored proc through unix. It is giving me below output. I want to capture the value 150 in one UNIX variable in shell script. Please let me know how I can achieve this. Thanks in advance Value of output parameters -------------------------- Parameter Name :... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vnimavat
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Output in bash script not captured in variable

I'm tring to write down a simple script that would execute a command and wait until it returns a specific result. This is what i did: bjobs_out=`bjobs` while ]; do bjobs_out=`bjobs` sleep 6 done It seems to work until the command 'jobs' return the list of jobs in execution, but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lifedj
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output of matlab as a variable for shell script

I'm running a matlab code within a shell script. This is how I do it, matlab -nodesktop -nosplash -nojvm -r "my_program;quit" This works fine. My matlab code prints out a single number, say "ans = 10" for example. I want to assign this to a variable in the shell script. I tried doing this... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
18 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

is there a way to assing variable a value that is output of a program in awk script?

Hi there is there a way to assing variable a value that is output of a program in awk script. For e.g., I did temp=(`grep "" $5 | cut -f8 -d' '`) but it does not work. Any advice??? Thanks in advance!!! :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: FUTURE_EINSTEIN
3 Replies

9. AIX

Oracle output to an array variable in script

Hi- I am returning output of an query into a array variable in my shell script. set -A DATE_RANGE `sqlplus -s **/**@** << EOF set termout off set echo off set serveroutput off set pagesize 0 set linesize 500 set heading off set verify off set feedback off select... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vputtas@gmail.c
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy script output to a variable using same script?

I'm trying to copy script output and use it in this same script as a variable, and call the variable when script is compiled. The script is below. #!/bin/bash output=$(script) while read line; do if ]; then grep "$line" logfile.txt # Create text file echo "From: IT ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SysAdminRialto
4 Replies
ATF-SH(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 ATF-SH(1)

NAME
atf-sh [-s shell] -- interpreter for shell-based test programs SYNOPSIS
atf-sh script DESCRIPTION
atf-sh is an interpreter that runs the test program given in script after loading the atf-sh(3) library. atf-sh is not a real interpreter though: it is just a wrapper around the system-wide shell defined by ATF_SHELL. atf-sh executes the inter- preter, loads the atf-sh(3) library and then runs the script. You must consider atf-sh to be a POSIX shell by default and thus should not use any non-standard extensions. The following options are available: -s shell Specifies the shell to use instead of the value provided by ATF_SHELL. ENVIRONMENT
ATF_LIBEXECDIR Overrides the builtin directory where atf-sh is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_PKGDATADIR Overrides the builtin directory where libatf-sh.subr is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. Scripts must not rely on this variable being set to select a specific interpreter. EXAMPLES
Scripts using atf-sh(3) should start with: #! /usr/bin/env atf-sh Alternatively, if you want to explicitly choose a shell interpreter, you cannot rely on env(1) to find atf-sh. Instead, you have to hardcode the path to atf-sh in the script and then use the -s option afterwards as a single parameter: #! /path/to/bin/atf-sh -s/bin/bash ENVIRONMENT
ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. SEE ALSO
atf-sh(3) BSD
September 27, 2014 BSD