Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux TuxOnIce stalls 3 times before resuming Post 302729629 by jim mcnamara on Saturday 10th of November 2012 05:42:30 PM
Old 11-10-2012
Because Tux is not doing "something" does not mean that something is not going on.

I am assuming you got Tux pre-built into the kernel.

Unless you can produce data from all other processes and the kernel showing that cpu usage is zero you need to reconsider what is going on. A blank time period in a log or on the screen is meaningless if other operations are going on. I am being somewhat facetitious - however just because you don't like my answer is not a reason to dismiss it. My experience with Tux was that processes got hung up.

Tuxonice is part of the kernel, either by insmod or pre-built. On hibernate it stores current system state on disk, and powers down. On power up it boots the kernel then restores system state from disk.
It is a nifty idea, but IMO, apparently runs afoul of some kinds of system software (add on kernel modules for one).

Let's look at the boot log:
Code:
dmesg | less
less /var/log/boot.log
# and also in case you bounced the system so many times something important got aged off
ls -l /var/log/boot*

Please post what you see.

If this does not work for you then try the TUX website.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

System not resuming from stanby mode ---Solaris10

Dear Frnds, I have a weird issue with solaris 10. We bought a new Sun Ultra45 workstation and i installed solaris 10 in that. The problem is when it goes to standby mode i am not able to resume the system.The only thing i can do is to manually reboot and start working. The problem occurs... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriram.s
0 Replies

2. Solaris

solaris 10 not resuming from power save mode.

Dear Frnz, i have a ultra 45 with solaris 10 installed. I face a weird issue in that. once the machine goes to power save mode i am not able to bring the machine back by hitting the keys in keyboard or moving the mouse. I am able to rsh the machine from another machine. To bring the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sriram.s
1 Replies

3. AIX

how would you know your server was rebooted 3 times or 5 times

Is there such location or command to know how many times did you reboot your server in that particular day?in AIX. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executes many times

The code prints many times, "1st loop" and "2nd loop". How can I come out the if the condition is matched. Match should be only once and it should come out of the loop if the match is found time=$(date +"%H:%M:%S") echo $time while : do if then echo "1st loop" fi if then... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandy1028
5 Replies

5. Programming

Problem with implementing the times() function in C (struct tms times return zero/negative values)

Hello, i'm trying to implement the times() function and i'm programming in C. I'm using the "struct tms" structure which consists of the fields: The tms_utime structure member is the CPU time charged for the execution of user instructions of the calling process. The tms_stime structure... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: g_p
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

To get difference between 2 times.

Can anyone help me to write a script to get diffrence between 2 times. (platform- solaris) i.e., Diffence shoud be displayed in tems of hours. (Approximately) for eg: file1 = 05-Apr-2012 13:42:32 file2 = 04-Apr-2012 12:42:41 O/P is like : diff = 25 Hrs (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thomasraj87
2 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Welcome in these 1337 times

Have you noticed that the Unix time right now starts with the combination "1337"? 1337 times indeed. ;-)) bakunin (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pausing and resuming process on laptop

Hi, I'm wondering if it's possible to pause a process I'm running in the background, close my laptop (I need to leave the office), and continue the process (when I get home). I've been running a process for a really long time and I don't want to have to start it over. Thanks in advance! (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ShiGua
9 Replies

9. Red Hat

Response Times

Hello all. Let me qualify my question by saying that I am struggling with how to ask the question I am semi green but have no issue reading up if pointed in the right direction. Please be gentle! A RHEL server 6.2. Hosts a statistical application that has some web apps and batch programming... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsheikh01
0 Replies
REBOOT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						 REBOOT(8)

NAME
reboot, halt, fastboot, fasthalt -- stopping and restarting the system SYNOPSIS
halt [-lnpq] [-k kernel] reboot [-dlnpq] [-k kernel] fasthalt [-lnpq] [-k kernel] fastboot [-dlnpq] [-k kernel] DESCRIPTION
The halt and reboot utilities flush the file system cache to disk, send all running processes a SIGTERM (and subsequently a SIGKILL) and, respectively, halt or restart the system. The action is logged, including entering a shutdown record into the user accounting database. The options are as follows: -d The system is requested to create a crash dump. This option is supported only when rebooting, and it has no effect unless a dump device has previously been specified with dumpon(8). -k kernel Boot the specified kernel on the next system boot. If the kernel boots successfully, the default kernel will be booted on successive boots, this is a one-shot option. If the boot fails, the system will continue attempting to boot kernel until the boot process is interrupted and a valid kernel booted. This may change in the future. -l The halt or reboot is not logged to the system log. This option is intended for applications such as shutdown(8), that call reboot or halt and log this themselves. -n The file system cache is not flushed. This option should probably not be used. -p The system will turn off the power if it can. If the power down action fails, the system will halt or reboot normally, depending on whether halt or reboot was called. -q The system is halted or restarted quickly and ungracefully, and only the flushing of the file system cache is performed (if the -n option is not specified). This option should probably not be used. The fasthalt and fastboot utilities are nothing more than aliases for the halt and reboot utilities. Normally, the shutdown(8) utility is used when the system needs to be halted or restarted, giving users advance warning of their impending doom and cleanly terminating specific programs. SEE ALSO
getutxent(3), boot(8), dumpon(8), nextboot(8), savecore(8), shutdown(8), sync(8) HISTORY
A reboot utility appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. BSD
October 11, 2010 BSD