Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Find and replace many values
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find and replace many values Post 302726125 by ctsgnb on Saturday 3rd of November 2012 08:09:15 PM
Old 11-03-2012
please provide a full and representative example of the contend of "datatochange.txt" file

Are the entries of "datatochange.txt" sorted ?
I mean, are all the replacement rules gathered by filename ?
do you only have 2 types of files (*.xps and *.sps)?

---------- Post updated 2012-11-04 at 01:09 AM ---------- Previous update was 2012-11-03 at 09:14 PM ----------

Please avoid duplicate thread.

You could give a try to this quick solution:

Code:
awk '{F=$1;a[F];e=(F~/sps$/)?" ":z;s=$2" "$3;p=$4;r=$5 print "s/" s e p "/" s e r "/" >> F".sed" }END{ for(i in a){print "sed -f "i".sed "i " >>"i".new">>"change2run"} }' datatochange.txt

1) run the code above
2) then run the generated script "change2run"

This should generate *.new files with all the substitutions done in it.
and "datatochange.txt" can have multiple line with a same filenames, this code should be able to handle it properly

Last edited by ctsgnb; 11-03-2012 at 06:01 PM..

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace duplicate column values in a row

I have file which as 12 columns and values like this 1,2,3,4,5 a,b,c,d,e b,c,a,e,f a,b,e,a,h if you see the first column has duplicate values, I need to identify (print it to console) the duplicate value (which is 'a') and also remove duplicate values like below. I could be in two... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nuthalapati
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and Replace based on values in an file

I have a file in which I want to do multiple find and replace of strings. For a single replace I can implement: sed -i 's/old/new/' <input_file> I have a second file that contains the old and the new values like the arbitrary example below: old new xyz pqr ab 756 rst pqr... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find values between values in two different fields

Hi, I need help to find values between two different fields based on $6 (NUM) AND $1 (CD), within the same ID. The result should show the values between the NUMs which will be extracted from within $3 and $2 in data.txt file below. data.txt ex 139 142 Sc_1000004 ID 4 CD ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a blank field and replace values to NA

Hi All, i have a file like col1 col2 col3 13 24 NA 12 13 14 11 12 13 14 22 NA 18 26 NA in this file if i found "NA" other values in the line are also replace by NA Could you help me! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shenbaga.d
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace values using a list from a file

Hello Guys. I have a very big file where I need to change some values according a list on other file. The following file is were I have the values to be changed. The field where I need to replace the values is File_Nb : File1.txt Obs_Report_Result : # ===== (5)... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
19 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the X highest values in a list depending on the values of another list with bash/awk?

Hi everyone, This is an exemple of inpout.txt file (a "," delimited text file which can be open as csv file): ID, Code, Value, Store SP|01, AABBCDE, 15, 3 SP|01, AABBCDE, 14, 2 SP|01, AABBCDF, 13, 2 SP|01, AABBCDE, 16, 3 SP|02, AABBCED, 15, 2 SP|01, AABBCDF, 12, 3 SP|01, AABBCDD,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jeremy589
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find duplicate values in specific column and delete all the duplicate values

Dear folks I have a map file of around 54K lines and some of the values in the second column have the same value and I want to find them and delete all of the same values. I looked over duplicate commands but my case is not to keep one of the duplicate values. I want to remove all of the same... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sajmar
4 Replies
replace(1)							  MySQL database							replace(1)

NAME
replace - A utility program that is used by msql2mysql, but that has more general applicability as well. replace changes strings in place in files or on the standard input. Uses a finite state machine to match longer strings first. Can be used to swap strings. USAGE
replace [-?svIV] from to from to ... -- [files] or replace [-?svIV] from to from to ... < fromfile > tofile SYNOPSIS
replace [-?|-I] [-s] [-v] DESCRIPTION
replace -?|-I info -s silent -v verbose EXTRA INFO
Special characters in from string: ^ Match start of line. $ Match end of line.  Match space-character, start of line or end of line. For a end  the next replace starts locking at the end space-character. A  alone in a string matches only a space-character. EXAMPLE
this command swaps a and b in the given files: shell> replace a b b a -- file1 file2 ... SEE ALSO
isamchk(1), isamlog(1), mysql(1), mysqlaccess(1), mysqladmin(1), mysqld(1), mysqld_multi(1), mysqld_safe(1), mysqldump(1), mysql_fix_privi- lege_tables(1), mysqlshow(1), mysql_zap(1), perror(1), For more information please refer to the MySQL reference manual, which may already be installed locally and which is also available online at http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/ BUGS
Please refer to http://bugs.mysql.com/ to report bugs. AUTHOR
Ver 1.0, distribution 4.0.24 Michael (Monty) Widenius (monty@mysql.com), MySQL AB (http://www.mysql.com/). This software comes with no warranty. Manual page by L. (Kill-9) Pedersen (kill-9@kill-9.dk), Mercurmedia Data Model Architect / system developer (http://www.mercur- media.com) ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+------------------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+------------------------------------+ |Availability | SUNWmysqlr, SUNWmysqlu, SUNWmysqlt | +--------------------+------------------------------------+ |Interface Stability | External | +--------------------+------------------------------------+ NOTES
Source for mysql is available on http://opensolaris.org. MySQL 4.0 19 December 2000 replace(1)