Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help separating file lines into three classes Post 302722615 by Don Cragun on Sunday 28th of October 2012 04:00:36 AM
Old 10-28-2012
Please repost your sample input using code tags. Since you've used the circumflex character in your pseudocode, I'm assuming that you're looking for some lines starting with two space characters; but none of the lines in your sample input have any leading space characters. Smilie
Please ignore this posting. When I first read message #3 in this thread, I was trying to make sense of it given the pseudocode in message #1. I now realize that message #1 can be ignored and the full specification of what you want is in message #3.

Last edited by Don Cragun; 10-28-2012 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: No longer confused.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Separating values from a file and putting to a variable

I am writing into a file testfile.txt values like ./XXXXXXCZ1/tprcm10c.bin ./XXXXXXCZ1_HOT/tprcm09c.bin ./XXXXXXCZ_cold/tprcm05c.bin I want to store the values of tprcm*.bin and XXXXXXCZ* in separate variables Can anybody Pls hlp me out with this ... Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ultimatix
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging files into a single tab delimited file with a space separating

I have a folder that contains say 50 files in a sequential order: cdf_1.txt cdf_2.txt cdf_3.txt cdf_3.txt . . . cdf_50.txt. I need to merge these files in the same order into a single tab delimited file. I used the following shell script: for x in {1..50}; do cat cdf_${x}.txt >>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
3 Replies

3. Programming

Use of C++ Classes

I was wondering if I could put the section at the beginning rather than at the end before the definition of the class. const REAL ModMisfit::DefMinDT = 0.01; const REAL ModMisfit::DefSigma0 = 0.01; const double ModMisfit::DefDAngSh = 2; const REAL ModMisfit::DefKBeta = 5;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Separating delimited file by pattern with exclusion list

I have a file with the contents below jan_t=jan;feb_t=feb;mar_t=mar;year=2010 jan_t=null;feb_t=feb;mar_t=mar;year=2010 jan_t=jan;feb_t=feb;mar_t=mar;year=2010 I want to extract out all the fields values ending with "_t" , however, i want to exclude feb_t and mar_t from the results In... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alienated
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Separating list of input files (*.file) with a comma in bash script

Hi all, I'm trying to get a bash script working for a program (bowtie) which takes a list of input files (*.fastq) and assembles them to an output file (outfile.sam). All the .fastq files are in one folder in my home directory (~/infiles). The problem is that the 'bowtie' requires that... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: TuAd
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help separating a file

Hi all, I have a single text file, Contig3.fasta, that looks like this: >NAME1 ACCTGGTA >NAME2 GGTTGGACA >NAME3 ATTTTGGGCCAnd It has about 100 items like this in it. What I would like to do is copy each item into 100 different text files, and have them named a certain way Output... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: repiv
4 Replies

7. Programming

Separating two classes in two files

I have a file Map.hh shown below. I want to put the two classes Phase and Map in two different files Phase.hh and Map.hh. I have forward declaration before the Map class. How can I tackle this situation? ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// #ifndef... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK separating a file into an array

Is there a way to have awk put successive records into an array in a bash script? I have files that say things like name :title :salary Bob :Instructor :30,000 Joyce :Instructor :30,000 Patrick :Manager :40,000 What I want to do is seperate this file into an array so that... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tgidzak
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to generate a csv files by separating the values from the input file based on position?

Hi All, I need help for doing the following. I have a input file like: aaaaaaaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb cccbbbbbaaaaaadddddaaaabbbbbbb now I am trying to generate a output csv file where i will have for e.g. 0-3 chars of each line as the first column in the csv, 4-10 chars of the line as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: babom
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in separating a multilingual file

Hello, I have a text file running into around 100 thousand+ lines which has the following rigid structure: Each field is separated by a comma. Some examples are given below: 23,Chinttaman Pagare,चिंतमण पगारे 24, Chinttaman Pateel,चिंतामण पाटल 25, Chinttaman Rout,चिंतामण राऊत 26,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
3 Replies
msgfmt(1)						      General Commands Manual							 msgfmt(1)

NAME
msgfmt - create a message object from a message file SYNOPSIS
msgfmt [ -v ] filename.po ... DESCRIPTION
msgfmt creates a message object filename .mo file from the portable message file filename.po. The .po file contains strings extracted from source code. .po files can be edited, and the messages in them can changed to accomodate any language supported by the system. The xgettext command (see xgettext(1)) can be used to create the default.po file. The msgfmt command does not modify the portable object files. Portable Object Files Each .po file contains one or more lines. Each line contains either a comment or a statement. Comments start the line with a hash mark (#) and end with the newline character and are ignored. Each directive starts on a new line and is separated from <value> by white space (such as one or more space or tab characters). <value> consists of one or more quoted strings separated by white space or <CR>. The following are valid directives: domain domainname msgid message_identifier msgstr message_string The domain directive identifies all following directives until another domain directive is encountered as applying to the domain domain- name. The domainname is a string up to MAXDOMAIN bytes long, and can contain any characters allowed in legal filenames. Until the first domain directive is encountered in the file, all target strings belong to the default domain. The default domain is called default. The msgid directive specifies the message identifier for the following msgstr directive. The message_identifier string identifies a target string at retrieval time. Every statement containing a msgid directive must be followed by a statement containing a msgstr directive. The msgstr directive specifies the target string associated with the message_identifier string declared in the immediately preceding msgid directive. OPTIONS
-v Verbose. List duplicate message identifiers. Message strings are not redefined. EXAMPLES
The following command creates a named .mo file for each domain named in the portable message objects filename1.po and filename2.po. msgfmt filename1.po filename2.po Running msgfmt(1) on the following sample .po file creates two .mo files, named first.mo and second.mo. domain "first.mo" msgid "aao" msgstr "first sample message" domain "second.mo" msgid "bbo" msgstr "second sample message" SEE ALSO
xgettext(1), gettext(3). 25 July 1990 msgfmt(1)