Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Zip a directory based on its age Post 302721025 by kylecn on Thursday 25th of October 2012 05:39:20 AM
Old 10-25-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipinajith
You can first tar the trace folder (choose your name for tar file):-

Code:
tar -cvf /tc/trace.tar /lc/trace

then you can gzip the tar file:-

Code:
gzip /lc/trace.tar

Thanks for the reply. With a few additions including this everything is working smoothly. Appreciate the help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for tar and zip based on month & year

Hi Friends, I'm doing on script which finds all the files with time stamp and makes them tar and zip, based on their respective month&year. for instance "mar-2004.tar.zip" will contain all the files which was created/accessed/modified on mar-2004. like this the entire filesystem should be taken... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tuxfello
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign zip directory to variable

I'm running an sh shell that is unzipping some zip files that have a directory structure on them. Is there a way I can find the top level directory in the zip file and assign that to a variable? mike (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: skwyer
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

zip unix directory

what's the best command to zip up the whole unix directory, then ftp this to windows for viewing the directories/files. thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venhart
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Zip all files in a directory

I have two files in a directory: xxxx.txt xxxx.csv I need to zip both files up but the command I am doing below is only zipping xxx.txt file????: cd ../$CUSTOMER_DIRECTORY zip -q ${name}${FILE_OUT_NAME}.zip ls -lrt *.csv *.txt can anyone help?:confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pablo_beezo
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to zip the entire directory

my first question is how to zip the entire directory contents. second question is can we unzip the same file through windows environment. please help i need to complete it by EOD (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbc17484
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zip files inside the directory, but not the directory itself

Hi, Im facing a problem that im stucked, I have the following structure: thales@pereirtc-vbox:/home/VfARM$ ls code config doc lib manifest.bak manifest.rel manifest.v3 ns pub if i try to execute zip -q -o arm.zip VfARM/* it will create a zip file with the folder VfARM.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Thales.Claro
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zip all files in a directory and move to another directory

Hi, need to zip all files in a directory and move to another directory after the zip.. i am using this one but didnt help me... zip -r my_proj_`date +%Y%m%d%H%MS`.zip /path/my_proj mv in_proj_`date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S`.zip /path/source/ i am trying to zip all the files in my_proj... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dssyadav
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to zip a directory

Hi , How to compress the entire directory . Rajesh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guddu_12
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Zip a file without directory

Hi I was trying to zip some file in a directory using the below command. find /dir1/dir2/ -name "asdf*.txt" -print | zip -m /dir1/dir2/dir3/asd_Date.zip -@ Its getting zipped.But when I am trying to unzip, Its getting unzipped with full directory structure. Is there any command... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ginrkf
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find and copy .zip file based on today's date

Hi Team, I'm new to unix and i have a requirement to copy or move files from one directory to another based on current date mentioned in the .zip file name. Note that i need to copy only the recent zip file. please help me with the code i tried the code as: #! /usr/bin/sh find... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: midhun3108
3 Replies
virt-tar-out(1) 					      Virtualization Support						   virt-tar-out(1)

NAME
virt-tar-out - Pack a virtual machine disk image directory into a tarball. SYNOPSIS
virt-tar-out -a disk.img /dir files.tar virt-tar-out -d domain /dir files.tar virt-tar-out -d domain /dir - | gzip --best > files.tar.gz DESCRIPTION
"virt-tar-out" packs a virtual machine disk image directory into a tarball. The first parameter is the absolute path of the virtual machine directory. The second parameter is the tar file to write. Use "-" to write to standard output. EXAMPLES
Download the home directories from a guest: virt-tar-out -d MyGuest /home - | gzip --best > homes.tar.gz JUST A SHELL SCRIPT WRAPPER AROUND GUESTFISH
This command is just a simple shell script wrapper around the guestfish(1) "tar-out" command. For anything more complex than a trivial copy, you are probably better off using guestfish directly. OPTIONS
Since the shell script just passes options straight to guestfish, read guestfish(1) to see the full list of options. SEE ALSO
guestfish(1), virt-cat(1), virt-copy-in(1), virt-copy-out(1), virt-edit(1), virt-tar-in(1), http://libguestfs.org/. AUTHORS
Richard W.M. Jones ("rjones at redhat dot com") COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011-2012 Red Hat Inc. LICENSE
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA. BUGS
To get a list of bugs against libguestfs, use this link: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?component=libguestfs&product=Virtualization+Tools To report a new bug against libguestfs, use this link: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/enter_bug.cgi?component=libguestfs&product=Virtualization+Tools When reporting a bug, please supply: o The version of libguestfs. o Where you got libguestfs (eg. which Linux distro, compiled from source, etc) o Describe the bug accurately and give a way to reproduce it. o Run libguestfs-test-tool(1) and paste the complete, unedited output into the bug report. libguestfs-1.22.6 2013-08-24 virt-tar-out(1)