Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers little problem of file redirection (awk) Post 302707053 by beca123456 on Friday 28th of September 2012 12:30:46 AM
Old 09-28-2012
I am using gawk as well and I get only the first line on the terminal output.

Code:
2) the while loop tries to read a line at a time from for_later.txt until an error. This reads only the first line (output by 1) and prints it.

So, is there any way to "force" or bypass the error exit status of getline and set it to 1 in order to keep reading the remaining line of "for_later.txt"?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirection Problem

I was simply trying to redirect some output in a log file but it foxed me. truss a.out > log It gave only the output of the a.out which was only a simple print "Hello" Then I tried truss a.out 2&1>a echo `truss a.out` > a All failed. What am i missing. Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirection problem

Hello Experts, I am facing the following problem .. >cat my_file prints initial begin StartSim; LDR(on); // Lock Detect Enable But when I trying the same with the following command it shows me all the line in the same line.Like ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: user_prady
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk two file redirection

Hi, i use awk -F to print three variable delimited by comma $1 $2 $3 if $2=="" i want to extract this information missing from another file using awk -v + some process. but the problem i can't use the two awk together cause of redirection there's a solution. note: i can't use another... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kamel.seg
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

file redirection problem

my querry is suppose i have duplicate std i/p with FD-3 --exec 0<&3 now redirected std i/p to a file ----exec 0<file1 suppose i am reading the file line by line --while read LINE cutting some fields and comparing it with a variable and if a match is found ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mobydick
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirection problem

hi i want a solution for the fallowing: i am redirecting output from bash script in which we are running background commands like ./test.sh contains ls -l & ps when we do as ./test.sh 1> test.txt 2>&1 but test.txt not containing output as ls -l and ps. it showing ls -l, ps and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: indianwomen
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print redirection to variable file name

Hello, i need to redirect the output of print to a variable file name: #This is normal awk '{ print $17 > "output.txt" }' input #I need something like this awk '{ print $17 > "output_${25}.txt" }' input how to format the output file name to contain a variable? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nazeeb
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk output redirection to file

I have a system stat command running which generates data after 5 sec or so. I pass this data to awk and do some calculation to present the data differently. Once done now I want to pass this data to file as and when generated but doesn't work..unless the first command completes successfully.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnscript
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem of redirection with <<! ... !)

Hi, I have to migrate Korn Shell who call Sybase command into Oracle Command. I have a problem on this example : DATNUM=$( sqlplus -S SA/SASASA@MIGGVDEV <<! SET FEEDBACK OFF; SET HEADING OFF; select sybase_utilities.datediff('DAY', '01/01/1900', '01/01/2000') from... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: buzzy1804
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with file redirection in while

I've got a problem with file redirection in bash, in loop while (in my script done < bufor.txt). In every consecutive iteration there's a possibility that to the bufor.txt will be added some lines. Unfortunately, in loop, added lines are ignored (for example: bufor.txt has 5 lines, in 3rd iteration... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kk9
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk file redirection issue

So I'm writing a script which tries to parse human-readable addresses. Part of it is this: print $2, implode(A,1,AN," "), CITY, PROV, POST, COUNTRY, CITYCOUNT>2; CITYCOUNT is a variable between 0 and 3 counting the number of words in a city name. I'm trying to prnt 1 wherever that's greater... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corona688
5 Replies
CAT(1)							      General Commands Manual							    CAT(1)

NAME
cat, read, nobs - catenate files SYNOPSIS
cat [ file ... ] read [ -m ] [ -n nline ] [ file ... ] nobs [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Cat reads each file in sequence and writes it on the standard output. Thus cat file prints a file and cat file1 file2 >file3 concatenates the first two files and places the result on the third. If no file is given, cat reads from the standard input. Output is buffered in blocks matching the input. Read copies to standard output exactly one line from the named file, default standard input. It is useful in interactive rc(1) scripts. The -m flag causes it to continue reading and writing multiple lines until end of file; -n causes it to read no more than nline lines. Read always executes a single write for each line of input, which can be helpful when preparing input to programs that expect line-at-a- time data. It never reads any more data from the input than it prints to the output. Nobs copies the named files to standard output except that it removes all backspace characters and the characters that precede them. It is useful to use as $PAGER with the Unix version of man(1) when run inside a win (see acme(1)) window. SOURCE
/src/cmd/cat.c /src/cmd/read.c /bin/nobs SEE ALSO
cp(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Read exits with status eof on end of file or, in the -n case, if it doesn't read nlines lines. BUGS
Beware of and which destroy input files before reading them. CAT(1)