Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Old crontab file reflected after server reboot Post 302703521 by ammbhhar on Wednesday 19th of September 2012 11:17:43 PM
Old 09-20-2012
Hi vbe,

Thanks for your reply.
Generally we plan reboot every 3 months ..thats when we get this problem.
Also,can elaborate more on below :

"I create a .save (as root and 750) directory one level above and mv what is unwanted in .save, the same I historize the cron files also in case of corruption or disagreement with production e.g. How come this job never finish when it used to? If you can prove someone changed the schedule, your out of trouble...
This is important to be done when you are going through a upgrade/update process where you risk rebooting a few times during one-two days : MOVE all cron file out or /var/spool/cron/crontabs while in maintenance!"

with example....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Server Reboot Alert

I want to get an email alert from a cronjob when a server got rebooted unexpectedly. Please help. Thanks! :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: angloi
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

server reboot

hi all, :) for a reboot of sun box for patch installation i would like to know where do the reboot logs apart from /var/adm/messages and patch run messages would be available, i would like to know the sequence of messages logged in the file like requesting the users to log out sending a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
1 Replies

3. AIX

IP setting changes after server reboot

I've recently changed my gateway setting using SMIT. Everything went fine except that the gateway setting kept reverting back to the old one everytime I reboot the server. I'm on AIX 5.2 running p-Series. Thanks for any info. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dereklow
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Reboot the server through console

Hi All, I want to know the procedure like if server is down, i want to reboot the server through console ($rsc or $sc prompt).Could you please help me out. I would really appreciate your cooperation. thanks for understanding regards krishna (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: murthy76
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

CRONTAB does not run since reboot

Hi, we reboot our Linux server yesterday and since then (specialy last night) no job from crontab has run. Any idea ? What should I look for to investigate? Many thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
5 Replies

6. SCO

copy crontab file from backup server

Hi, I did a terrible mistake of issuing crontab -r command which deleted my table on a new installation. Is there any way i can transfer the table from an existing unix box. Regards, Joseph:confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: njoroge
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

when users ftp to server the timezone reflected is UTC but the server is set to TZ in localtime

Guys, Need your help coz my server runs in local time GMT +8, but when client use ftp and login, the resulting timestamp seen in each file is in UTC format. We need to set that the time should be the same as GMT +8 when in ftp session. I am using RHEL 5.3. root@]# ll total 1740... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shtobias
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What crontab is in effect after reboot

A basic cron question and I hope I explain it enough. If a person creates a file to use with cron and issues the followin command: crontab I understand this will set the cron entries to whatever is in . However, if we now edit the crontab with: crontab -e and save, how does cron... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: niswonp
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Validate mountpoints on solaris server after server reboot

Hi, anyone please let us know how to write shell script to find the missing mountpoints after server reboot. i want to take the mountpount information before server reboot, and validate the mountpoints after server reboot if any missing.please let us know the shell script from begining to end as... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: VenkatReddy786
24 Replies

10. Red Hat

Server reboot

Hi, The server got rebooted and below messages can be seen in /var/log/messages Sep 7 10:49:12 minersville kernel: Call Trace: <IRQ> <ffffffff80167420>{__alloc_pages+796} Sep 7 10:49:12 minersville kernel: <ffffffff80182814>{kmem_getpages+106} <ffffffff80183c16>{fallback_alloc+304}... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: admin_db
3 Replies
cron(1M)						  System Administration Commands						  cron(1M)

NAME
cron - clock daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/cron DESCRIPTION
cron starts a process that executes commands at specified dates and times. You can specify regularly scheduled commands to cron according to instructions found in crontab files in the directory /var/spool/cron/crontabs. Users can submit their own crontab file using the crontab(1) command. Commands which are to be executed only once can be submitted using the at(1) command. cron only examines crontab or at command files during its own process initialization phase and when the crontab or at command is run. This reduces the overhead of checking for new or changed files at regularly scheduled intervals. As cron never exits, it should be executed only once. This is done routinely by way of the svc:/system/cron:default service. The file /etc/cron.d/FIFO file is used as a lock file to prevent the execution of more than one instance of cron. cron captures the output of the job's stdout and stderr streams, and, if it is not empty, mails the output to the user. If the job does not produce output, no mail is sent to the user. An exception is if the job is an at(1) job and the -m option was specified when the job was submitted. cron and at jobs are not executed if your account is locked. Jobs and processses execute. The shadow(4) file defines which accounts are not locked and will have their jobs and processes executed. Setting cron Jobs Across Timezones The timezone of the cron daemon sets the system-wide timezone for cron entries. This, in turn, is by set by default system-wide using /etc/default/init. The timezone for cron entries can be overridden in a user's crontab file; see crontab(1). If some form of daylight savings or summer/winter time is in effect, then jobs scheduled during the switchover period could be executed once, twice, or not at all. Setting cron Defaults To keep a log of all actions taken by cron, you must specify CRONLOG=YES in the /etc/default/cron file. If you specify CRONLOG=NO, no log- ging is done. Keeping the log is a user configurable option since cron usually creates huge log files. You can specify the PATH for user cron jobs by using PATH= in /etc/default/cron. You can set the PATH for root cron jobs using SUPATH= in /etc/default/cron. Carefully consider the security implications of setting PATH and SUPATH. Example /etc/default/cron file: CRONLOG=YES PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/ucb: This example enables logging and sets the default PATH used by non-root jobs to /usr/bin:/usr/ucb:. Root jobs continue to use /usr/sbin:/usr/bin. The cron log file is periodically rotated by logadm(1M). FILES
/etc/cron.d Main cron directory /etc/cron.d/FIFO Lock file /etc/default/cron cron default settings file /var/cron/log cron history information /var/spool/cron Spool area /etc/cron.d/queuedefs Queue description file for at, batch, and cron /etc/logadm.conf Configuration file for logadm ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
svcs(1), at(1), crontab(1), sh(1), logadm(1M), svcadm(1M), queuedefs(4), shadow(4), attributes(5), rbac(5), smf(5), smf_security(5) NOTES
The cron service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svc:/system/cron:default Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). The ser- vice's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. Most administrative actions may be delegated to users with the solaris.smf.man- age.cron authorization (see rbac(5) and smf_security(5)). DIAGNOSTICS
A history of all actions taken by cron is stored in /var/cron/log and possibly in /var/cron/olog. SunOS 5.11 4 Feb 2009 cron(1M)