Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Linux command to output from a string Post 302700525 by in2nix4life on Thursday 13th of September 2012 01:59:59 PM
Old 09-13-2012
Code:
echo "/iis_ft_dev_data1/custsys/publish/goldstd/WCC_CUST_GS_NON_TRAN_CTA_DLY.dat" | sed -n 's/.*_\(.*\)\.dat/\1/p'

DLY

This User Gave Thanks to in2nix4life For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to Run a Linux Command and Redirect its output to a socket in C

I have a Linux socket server program. I need to run the commands sent by the client and return the output to client. Is there a quicker way? I tried with ptr=popen(command, "r"); and then fgets(buf, size,ptr); write buf to socket fgets hangs for me. Now, I would like to know if I can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshomallur
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep only a string on command output

How can I grep exactly a string that has .,/ characters using grep? Example: I want to grep ONLY string1 and not string1.more or string1.more.evenmore #lsauth ALL|grep 'string1' All output: string1 <--- This is the only I want. string1.more string1.evenmore. more.string1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iga3725
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command output string manipulation possible in one line?

This has been bothering me for 3 days. $> hostname cepsun64amd And I just want "cepsun", I would normally do h=`hostname`; ${h%%64*} But I am looking for a one-liner just for my own knowledge, because if there is a way to do this, I should know it by now. Anyway, so is this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ryan.
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

linux sort command produces strange output

cat a .a ba .b bb .c bc sort a .a .b ba bb bc .c NOTE: .a and .b appears before ba and bb, where as .c appears after bc. In general (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajb
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep command showing wrong output in Linux

Hi All I am trying to run a script in linux wherein i have a command like this grep ^prmAttunityUser= djpHewr2XFMAttunitySetup_ae1_tmp djpHewr2XFMAttunitySetup_ae1_tmp is a temporary file in which the user value is stored but this command in the script returns me balnk value whereas it has a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vee_789
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

LINUX - How to remove the final delimiter from a command output

Hi All, I am trying to list the various dates for which the file is available in a directory using the command below, (& subsequently pass the command output to a loop) Command : ls dir|grep 'filename'|cut -d '_' -f1|cut -c1-8|tr '\n' ',' However, it is giving me an extra comma... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsfreddie
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to terminate command execution when string found in the command output

Hi Experts, I am very much new to linux scripting, I am currently working on reducing my manual work and hence writing a script to automate few task. I am running below command to snmpwalk the router.. snmpwalk -v 3 -u WANDL_SU -a MD5 -A vfipmpls -x DES -X VfIpMpLs -l authPriv... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hanumant.madane
19 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Different output for awk command on Linux & HP-UX

I am using an awk command to extract a particular portion of a string. Below is the command and its output on a Linux system: oracle@host1:/tmp (/home/oracle) $uname -a Linux host1 2.6.32-279.39.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Nov 15 05:38:26 EST 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: veeresh_15
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Passing the Output of grep to sed command - to find and replace a string in a file.

I have a file example.txt as follows :SomeTextGoesHere $$TODAY_DT=20140818 $$TODAY_DT=20140818 $$TODAY_DT=20140818I need to automatically update the date (20140818) in the above file, by getting the new date as argument, using a shell script. (It would even be better if I could pass... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SriRamKrish
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Interpreting Linux's free command output

I have two questions on Linux's free command. Below, I have provided output from my home laptop (fedora 26 ) which has 16GB Physical RAM and a production server (RHEL 7.4) which has 24GB RAM. Question1. What exactly does the buffer/cache column say in free command's output ? buffer/cache is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega3
9 Replies
STARTPAR(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       STARTPAR(8)

NAME
startpar - start runlevel scripts in parallel SYNOPSIS
startpar [-p par] [-i iorate] [-t timeout] [-T global_timeout] [-a arg] prg1 prg2 ... startpar [-p par] [-i iorate] [-t timeout] [-T global_timeout] -M [ boot|start|stop] DESCRIPTION
startpar is used to run multiple run-level scripts in parallel. The degree of parallelism on one CPU can be set with the -p option, the default is full parallelism. An argument to all of the scripts can be provided with the -a option. Processes block by pending I/O will weighting by the factor 800. To change this factor the option -i can be used to specify an other value. The output of each script is buffered and written when the script exits, so output lines of different scripts won't mix. You can modify this behaviour by setting a timeout. The timeout set with the -t option is used as buffer timeout. If the output buffer of a script is not empty and the last output was timeout seconds ago, startpar will flush the buffer. The -T option timeout works more globally. If no output is printed for more than global_timeout seconds, startpar will flush the buffer of the script with the oldest output. Afterwards it will only print output of this script until it is finished. The -M option switches startpar into a make(1) like behaviour. This option takes three different arguments: boot, start, and stop for reading .depend.boot or .depend.start or .depend.stop respectively in the directory /etc/init.d/. By scanning the boot and runlevel direc- tories in /etc/init.d/ it then executes the appropriate scripts in parallel. FILES
/etc/init.d/.depend.boot /etc/init.d/.depend.start /etc/init.d/.depend.stop SEE ALSO
init.d(7), insserv(8), startproc(8). COPYRIGHT
2003,2004 SuSE Linux AG, Nuernberg, Germany. 2007 SuSE LINUX Products GmbH, Nuernberg, Germany. AUTHOR
Michael Schroeder <mls@suse.de> Takashi Iwai <tiwai@suse.de> Werner Fink <werner@suse.de> Jun 2003 STARTPAR(8)