Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat help about qemu-kvm boot with initrd Post 302691567 by yanglei_fage on Friday 24th of August 2012 11:36:07 PM
Old 08-25-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutronscott
why root=/dev/ram ?
actually I have tried /dev/ram /dev/ram0 /dev/ram1 but the same issue

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

initrd

ok, I'm trying to roll an initrd from scratch for learning purposes. I'm using cramfs for the filesystem so that I can modularize ext2 and ext3. The initrd has the modules required for ext3, a static insmod, a statis 'ash', static pivot_root, and a linuxrc that mounts the needed root partition... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thmnetwork
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

kernel and initrd on machine with little amount of RAM

(rus cp1251) Вобщем смысл поста такой: я пытаюсь сделать Linux на дискетке и всё это опробовать на 386... =D поскольку памяти там мало, а ядро и initrd вроде как зажаты, я хотел бы узнать а) я сделал ядро (bzImage) оно 600 Кб. оно в памяти займёт 600 Кб или оно ещё разожмётся? б) аналогично с initrd. и ещё: он вроде 4МБ а можно в параметрах ядра сделать поменьше, можно-ли в 1-2МБ памяти уместить initrd и ядро? (eng) i am try to make linux on diskette and run it on i386... =D there are... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MR.Z
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Anyone ever used qemu and networked it ?

hi i got a virtual linux machine running on qemu my problem is connecting it to the internet im a bit confused weather i have to make a virtual network card in qemu and than tun tap it? can anyone thats done it before help me out? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: russian460
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

Fedora installation getting stuck in initrd.img

I have a 80GB hard disk with WinXP already installed.I had tried installing Fedora 10 earlier without creating new partitions(real foolish and ignorant of me :o:o ) and tried creating partitions using Fedora10 bootable.It didnt work.Then I created a free partition and again tried installing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesh.k28
4 Replies

5. Linux

What's role of swap in initrd?

Hello, I want to know why initrd need swap for work. In the shell of mkinitrd, it look for the swap partation for "swsuspdev", then write a sentence "resume /dev/sdXX" in the file init from initrd.gz, and the /dev/sdXX is the swap partation. Why initrd need swap when it boot a system? what is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ZR_Lang
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Could I get the initrd.img file without recompile the kernel?

Hi, all: The vmlinuz-3.0.4.old is a kernel previous to the current running kernel vmlinuz-3.0.4 which is compiled the most currently. Could I get the initrd.img-3.0.4.old without recompile under the condition that the config-3.0.4.old, System.map-3.0.4.old and vmlinuz-3.0.4.old exist? if it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: liklstar
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with adding a new driver in initrd at install time

I have a really old distro (FC7) that I am trying to make compatible with some new hardware (ie. new RAID drivers)... I put the RAID driver into the ISO so that the installer can detect the RAID set... but post-install (aka: first boot) it appears that the Anaconda-generated initrd does not have... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjinno
0 Replies

8. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

QEMU performance?

Heyas So, i like doing custom a LiveImage of my OS. Using Redhats kickstart/livecd-creator method. Anyway, so i would like to test the liveimages... AND also, i WOULD like to install FreeBSD, Solaris, or whatever, onto a Virtual Machine. I used to use Oracles Virtualbox, but eversince... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

KVM/Qemu allocated memory not showing in guest

So we have a RHEL 7.6 workstation with 128 gigs of ram. The OS sees all the ram and 80 cors (40 HT) We have 1 guest with 8 CPUs and 32gigs of ram running RHEL 7.6 workstation as well. We are trying to create another guest with 64 CPUs and 80 gigs of ram. We setup the system using... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: joeg1484
0 Replies
RAM(4)							     Kernel Interfaces Manual							    RAM(4)

NAME
ram - ram disk driver SYNOPSIS
/sys/conf/SYSTEM: NRAM ram_size # RAM disk size (512-byte blocks) major device number(s): block: 3 minor device encoding: must be zero (0) DESCRIPTION
The ram pseudo-device provides a very fast extended memory store. It's use is intended for file systems like /tmp and applications which need to access a reasonably large amount of data quickly. The amount of memory dedicated to the ram device is controlled by the NRAM definition in units of 512-byte blocks. This is also patchable in the system binary through the variable ram_size (though a patched system would have to be rebooted before any change took effect; see adb(1)). This makes it easy to test the effects of different ram disk sizes on system performance. It's important to note that any space given to the ram device is permanently allocated at system boot time. Dedicating too much memory can adversely affect system performance by forcing the system to swap heavily as in a memory poor environment. The block file accesses the ram disk via the system's buffering mechanism through a buffer sharing arrangement with the buffer cache. It may be read and written without regard to physical disk records. There is no `raw' interface since no speed advantage is gained by such an interface with the ram disk. DISK SUPPORT
The ram driver does not support pseudo-disks (partitions). The special files refer to the entire `drive' as a single sequentially addressed file. A typical use for the ram disk would be to mount /tmp on it. Note that if this arrangement is recorded in /etc/fstab then /etc/rc will have to be modified slightly to do a mkfs(8) on the ram disk before the standard file system checks are done. FILES
/dev/ram block file /dev/MAKEDEV script to create special files /dev/MAKEDEV.local script to localize special files SEE ALSO
hk(4), ra(4), rl(4), rk(4), rp(4), rx(4), si(4), xp(4) dtab(5), autoconfig(8) DIAGNOSTICS
ram: no space. There is not enough memory to allocate the space needed by the ram disk. The ram disk is disabled. Any attempts to access it will return an error. ram: not allocated. No memory was allocated to the ram disk and an attempt was made to open it. Either not enough memory was available at boot time or the kernel variable ram_size was set to zero. BUGS
The ram driver is only available under 2.11BSD. 3rd Berkeley Distribution Januray 27, 1996 RAM(4)