Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Disabling Backslash Interpretation with "echo -E"? Post 302687317 by Corona688 on Thursday 16th of August 2012 10:50:46 AM
Old 08-16-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm5102
Perfect! Thanks that did the trick! That's gotta be one of the longest REGEX's I've ever seen lol...
Take a closer look; it's five little regexes.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interpretation of "echo $-"

I am running Solaris 10. Can someone help me interpret the output from "echo $-"? Interactively, the output is: ism From within a cron job, the output is: xh Why are they different? Can someone point me to the appropriate documentation? Thanks, J (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shew01
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

"sed" to check file size & echo " " to destination file

Hi, I've modified the syslogd source to include a thread that will keep track of a timer(or a timer thread). My intention is to check the file size of /var/log/messages in every one minute & if the size is more than 128KB, do a echo " " > /var/log/messages, so that the file size will be set... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jockey007
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between using "echo" builtin and /bin/echo

So in my shell i execute: { while true; do echo string; sleep 1; done } | read line This waits one second and returns. But { while true; do /bin/echo string; sleep 1; done } | read line continues to run, and doesn't stop until i kill it explicitly. I have tried this in bash as well as zsh,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ulidtko
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

With that logic this echoes "echo". Question about echo!

echo `echo ` doesn't echoes anything. And it's logic. But echo `echo `echo ` ` does echoes "echo". What's the logic of it? the `echo `echo ` inside of the whole (first) echo, echoes nothing, so the first echo have to echo nothing but echoes "echo" (too much echoing :P):o (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. AIX

echo $varibla | mail -s "subject" "xxx@xxx.com" not ruuning as expected

Hi Folks, As per the subject, the following command is not working as expected. echo $variable | mail -s "subject" "xxx@xxx.com" Could anyone figure it out whats wrong with this. I am using AIX box. Regards, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gjarms
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcsh - understanding difference between "echo string" and "echo string > /dev/stdout"

I came across and unexpected behavior with redirections in tcsh. I know, csh is not best for redirections, but I'd like to understand what is happening here. I have following script (called out_to_streams.csh): #!/bin/tcsh -f echo Redirected to STDOUT > /dev/stdout echo Redirected to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcink
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command escaping backslash "/"

Hello friends/'unix experts', i have a file as below cat sample.txt satish /rakesh/ sandhya /sandeep/ i have to replace /rakesh/ with rakesh, how can i do it with sed, i tried below code but its throwing errors sed -e 's/'"\(/rakesh/)\"'/\1rakesh/g' sample.txt ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: only4satish
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping backslash and asterisk in egrep to match "\*"

So far what i've got is egrep '^(\\)\*$'No luck. I've searched the web and not much luck. I know about the escape character \ but its confusing to figure out how to use it to match a backslash and use it to escape the asterisk also. Any ides? Thanks! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: matthewfs
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
REGEX(3)						     Library Functions Manual							  REGEX(3)

NAME
re_comp, re_exec - regular expression handler SYNOPSIS
char *re_comp(s) char *s; re_exec(s) char *s; DESCRIPTION
Re_comp compiles a string into an internal form suitable for pattern matching. Re_exec checks the argument string against the last string passed to re_comp. Re_comp returns 0 if the string s was compiled successfully; otherwise a string containing an error message is returned. If re_comp is passed 0 or a null string, it returns without changing the currently compiled regular expression. Re_exec returns 1 if the string s matches the last compiled regular expression, 0 if the string s failed to match the last compiled regular expression, and -1 if the compiled regular expression was invalid (indicating an internal error). The strings passed to both re_comp and re_exec may have trailing or embedded newline characters; they are terminated by nulls. The regular expressions recognized are described in the manual entry for ed(1), given the above difference. SEE ALSO
ed(1), ex(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), grep(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Re_exec returns -1 for an internal error. Re_comp returns one of the following strings if an error occurs: No previous regular expression, Regular expression too long, unmatched (, missing ], too many () pairs, unmatched ). 3rd Berkeley Distribution May 15, 1985 REGEX(3)