Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Assembling the Pieces of a Regular Expression Post 302680195 by Michael_K on Wednesday 1st of August 2012 11:59:15 AM
Old 08-01-2012
Assembling the Pieces of a Regular Expression

Hello all.

I'm scripting in ksh and trying to put together a regular expression. I think my logic is sound, but I'm doing the head-against-the-wall routine while trying to put the individual pieces together. Can anybody lend some suggestions to the below problem?

I'm taking a date in the format of "DD-MMM-YY" as a parameter for a script. I want to user-proof this as much as possible, so "01-AUG-13" is valid but nonsense (i.e. "41-MAK-0G") gets rejected. This is a job for regular expressions.

I've broken down the "01-AUG-13" example into five separate expressions to be evaluated, and I think my regex logic is sound. (But if it isn't, please let me know!)

Part 1="01"
Part 2="-"
Part 3="AUG"
Part 4="-"
Part 5="13"

Part 1 translates into:
"match two digits, value between 01 and 31",
Which further translates into:
"match first digit, with value between 0-2, one time, then match second digit value between 0-9 one time |||OR||| match first digit 3 one time (because if we missed the first match of 0-2, then it has to be this and only this), then match second digit, with value of 0 or 1, one time."

Parts 2 & 4 translate into "exactly one dash here"

Part 3 becomes "match exactly one 3 char month name out of the valid set of month name values".

Part 5 is "match exactly two digits".

I have coded the regular expressions for these values as follows:
Part 1:
Code:

([0-2][0-9]|[3][0-1])

Parts 2 and 4:
Code:

[-]

Part 3:
Code:

grep -i [JAN|FEB|MAR|APR|MAY|JUN|JUL|AUG|SEP|OCT|NOV|DEC]

I couldn't think of a simple way to do this without using grep -i; what are some alternatives?

Part 5:
Code:

[0-9][0-9]

So, all of those pieces seem sound, individually. The function doesn't work once I combine them, however. One of my many iterations (and probably the simplest) is:

Code:

VARIABLE=01-AUG-13
print $VARIABLE | grep -i -E "([0-2][0-9]|[3][0-1])[-][JAN|FEB|MAR|APR|MAY|JUN|JUL|AUG|SEP|OCT|NOV|DEC][-][0-9][0-9]"

I am doing something wrong, but I honestly don't know what it might be. Can anyone lend some suggestions on how I can properly write this regular expression?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expression + Aritmetical Expression

Is it possible to combine a regular expression with a aritmetical expression? For example, taking a 8-numbers caracter sequece and casting each output of a grep, comparing to a constant. THX! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Z0mby
2 Replies

2. Linux

Regular expression to extract "y" from "abc/x.y.z" .... i need regular expression

Regular expression to extract "y" from "abc/x.y.z" (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rag84dec
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regular expression help

HI All, I want to list a file with the below format : testfile_nnnnn.xxxx where n and x can be any digit 0-9. n repeats 5 times and x 4 times... I tried with something like below: ls -l testfile_/\{5\}/* to start with but its not working. Please could anyone help? Thanks D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deepakgang
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression

Hi I have to extract the first field and the last %field of the following out put.. /home (/abc/def/bhd ) : 522328 total allocated Kb 319448 free allocated Kb ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harikrishna
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression Help

Hi What is the meaning of this in regular expression $k =~ s/^\s*//; Plz explain (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harikrishna
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Integer expression expected: with regular expression

CA_RELEASE has a value of 6. I need to check if that this is a numeric value. if not error. source $CA_VERSION_DATA if * ] then echo "CA_RELESE $CA_RELEASE is invalid" exit -1 fi + source /etc/ncgl/ca_version_data ++ CA_PRODUCT_ID=samxts ++ CA_RELEASE=6 ++ CA_WEEK_NO=7 ++... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketkee1985
3 Replies

7. Programming

Perl: How to read from a file, do regular expression and then replace the found regular expression

Hi all, How am I read a file, find the match regular expression and overwrite to the same files. open DESTINATION_FILE, "<tmptravl.dat" or die "tmptravl.dat"; open NEW_DESTINATION_FILE, ">new_tmptravl.dat" or die "new_tmptravl.dat"; while (<DESTINATION_FILE>) { # print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jessy83
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expression

Hello, I want to extract text between <td class="di_resultscolumnheader"> and </td>. I wrote the below code to extract text. But I am able to extract the text for the first match only. Can some one help me in this? Thanks in advance. Code: if ($line =~ /<td... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: koneru_18
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sed: -e expression #1, char 0: no previous regular expression

Hello All, I'm trying to extract the lines between two consecutive elements of an array from a file. My array looks like: problem_arr=(PRS111 PRS213 PRS234) j=0 while } ] do k=`expr $j + 1` sed -n "/${problem_arr}/,/${problem_arr}/p" problemid.txt ---some operation goes... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: InduInduIndu
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression

Hello Gurus, I am looking for regular expressions for awk to filter on second column 2nd and 3rd digit Using in code something like: awk '{if ( $2 == "0::" ) print} source file: 0 0:0:0 FC 15 normal 559104 51200 0:3:1* 1:3:1 600 1 0:0:1 FC 15 normal ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishalgoyal
2 Replies
put(9E) 							Driver Entry Points							   put(9E)

NAME
put - receive messages from the preceding queue SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/stream.h> #include <sys/stropts.h> #include <sys/ddi.h> #include <sys/sunddi.h> int prefixrput(queue_t *q, mblk_t *mp); /* read side */ int prefixwput(queue_t *q, mblk_t *mp); /* write side */ INTERFACE LEVEL
Architecture independent level 1 (DDI/DKI). This entry point is required for STREAMS. ARGUMENTS
q Pointer to the queue(9S) structure. mp Pointer to the message block. DESCRIPTION
The primary task of the put() routine is to coordinate the passing of messages from one queue to the next in a stream. The put() routine is called by the preceding stream component (stream module, driver, or stream head). put() routines are designated ``write'' or ``read'' depending on the direction of message flow. With few exceptions, a streams module or driver must have a put() routine. One exception is the read side of a driver, which does not need a put() routine because there is no component downstream to call it. The put() routine is always called before the component's correspond- ing srv(9E) (service) routine, and so put() should be used for the immediate processing of messages. A put() routine must do at least one of the following when it receives a message: o pass the message to the next component on the stream by calling the putnext(9F) function; o process the message, if immediate processing is required (for example, to handle high priority messages); or o enqueue the message (with the putq(9F) function) for deferred processing by the service srv(9E) routine. Typically, a put() routine will switch on message type, which is contained in the db_type member of the datab structure pointed to by mp. The action taken by the put() routine depends on the message type. For example, a put() routine might process high priority messages, enqueue normal messages, and handle an unrecognized M_IOCTL message by changing its type to M_IOCNAK (negative acknowledgement) and sending it back to the stream head using the qreply(9F) function. The putq(9F) function can be used as a module's put() routine when no special processing is required and all messages are to be enqueued for the srv(9E) routine. RETURN VALUES
Ignored. CONTEXT
put() routines do not have user context. SEE ALSO
srv(9E), putctl(9F), putctl1(9F), putnext(9F), putnextctl(9F), putnextctl1(9F), putq(9F), qreply(9F), queue(9S), streamtab(9S) Writing Device Drivers STREAMS Programming Guide SunOS 5.10 12 Nov 1992 put(9E)