Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX access data from a new disk was assigned another rootvg Post 302666769 by bakunin on Thursday 5th of July 2012 06:23:44 AM
Old 07-05-2012
hmm, the VGDA (volume group descriptor area) is also part of the aforementioned information on the disk, which is copied to and maintained in the ODM. Something seems to have gone wrong. Without exactly knowing the details it is hard to advise specifically, though. The following is as generic as possible.

First, make sure you get your ODM clean: disconnect the disk, run cfgmgr and (out of pure paranoia) a synclvodm. You can also reboot the system instead, if this is possible.

Reconnect the disk, run cfgmgr again and then try a recreatevg. If this doesn't work probably some accounting information on the disk is damaged. To rebuild a a damaged VGDA is possible in principle (there are two copies of it on every PV in the VG, so the chance of finding one working copy and distributing this is intact), but is not an easy task. There are several how-tos about this circulating in the net. It is probably easier to restore the data in question from some backup, though.

I hope this helps.

bakunin
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Direct disk access

Is there any way to write to disk sector by sector, without any files, filesystems etc. I did that in DOS, but that was DOS. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lopatonosec
3 Replies

2. AIX

Anyone know how to access rootvg?

I'm trying to troubleshoot an issue with an AIX system here. I have no experience with system administration of IBM stuff. Our local admin is ... um ... not available at this time. I found something online that said enter service mode - How the heck do I do that??? Why is IBM stuff lack proper... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
2 Replies

3. AIX

AIX 5.2/5.3 - rootvg on SAN disk - pros and cons

We are considering a DR strategy of booting AIX 5.3 and 5.3 logical partitions from EMC Symmetrix SAN disks, so that we can replicate via SRDF to a recovery site. Has anyone tried configuring AIX 5.x systems to boot from SAN disk? If so, can you provide any information on the pros and cons of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjgarrot
6 Replies

4. AIX

Erase AIX rootvg system disk

Hello all, I need help for erasing IBM P5 machine running AIX 5.3. I have 2 system disks (Hardware mirror) and i'm looking for a way like a LIVE CD bootable CD so I can boot with the cd and then format the system disks with a "secure erase" software. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kobi gabai
7 Replies

5. Linux

C++ Code to Access Linux Hard Disk Sectors (with a LoopBack Virtual Hard Disk)

Hi all, I'm kind of new to programming in Linux & c/c++. I'm currently writing a FileManager using Ubuntu Linux(10.10) for Learning Purposes. I've got started on this project by creating a loopback device to be used as my virtual hard disk. After creating the loop back hard disk and mounting it... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: shen747
23 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to split a data assigned to a variable

The requirement is, there is a log file which contains a huge data. i need to get a particular field out of it by searching with another field. ex: 2011-03-28 13:00:07,423 : millis=231 q={ call get_data_account(?,?,?,?,?) }, params= i need to search for the word "get_data_account" in file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jassz
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Changed to AHCI, can not access disk???

Here is my problem: I have an 1.5TB disk with OpenSolaris (b134, b151a) using non AHCI. I then changed to AHCI in BIOS, which results in severe problems: I can not boot the system. I suspect the problem is because I changed to AHCI. Now I have changed back to non AHCI, but still I can not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kebabbert
0 Replies

8. AIX

vio server's rootvg disk migratepv

Hi I need to do the migratepv for the rootvg disks of the vio servers ? The current rootvg disks are on DMX3 storage and the new disks will be given from VMAX. Our setup is dual vio servers with multipathing to the vio clients. What is the command to do the migratepv for the vio rootvg disks... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
5 Replies

9. AIX

VIOS: Extend virtual disk assigned to running lpar?

Hello, VIOS 2.2.1.4 using IVM. I'm trying to extend a virtual disk assigned to a running lpar so that I can expand the lpar's datavg and grow some filesystems for the user. Storage admin expanded the lun and new size was reflected in VIO right away. I then needed the storage pool to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: j_aix
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command assigned to a variable is failed or not having any data - error

Hi, My command is getting stuck while running it. observed that the grep command doesn't returned any data ($? was 1) and it failed. This command is assigned into the variable and used in other command as script progresses. To continue the script output, i have to press ^C twice and script... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhii
2 Replies
VGMERGE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							VGMERGE(8)

NAME
vgmerge - merge two volume groups SYNOPSIS
vgmerge [-A|--autobackup{y|n}] [-d|--debug] [-h|--help] [-l|--list] [-t|--test] [-v|--verbose] DestinationVolumeGroupName SourceVol- umeGroupName DESCRIPTION
vgmerge merges two existing volume groups. The inactive SourceVolumeGroupName will be merged into the DestinationVolumeGroupName if physi- cal extent sizes are equal and physical and logical volume summaries of both volume groups fit into DestinationVolumeGroupName's limits. OPTIONS -A, --autobackup y/n Controls automatic backup of VG metadata after the merge ( see vgcfgbackup(8) ). Default is yes. -d, --debug Enables additional debugging output (if compiled with DEBUG). -h, --help Print a usage message on standard output and exit successfully. -l, --list Display merged DestinationVolumeGroupName like "vgdisplay -v". -t, --test Do a test run WITHOUT making any real changes. -v, --verbose Display verbose runtime information about vgmerge's activities. Examples "vgmerge -v databases my_vg" merges the inactive volume group named "my_vg" into the active or inactive volume group named "databases" giv- ing verbose runtime information. DIAGNOSTICS
vgmerge returns an exit code of 0 for success and > 0 for error: 1 2 volume group names must be entered on command line 2 volume group to merge from must be inactive 3 error reading VGDA of volume group to merge into 4 error reading VGDA of volume group to merge from 5 error setting up VGDA for merge 6 error extending VGDA by physical volume in kernel 7 error writing VGDA to physical volume(s) 8 error creating volume group special files 9 error removing volume group from lvmtab 95 driver/module not in kernel 96 invalid I/O protocol version 97 error locking logical volume manager 98 invalid lvmtab (run vgscan(8)) 99 invalid command line ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
LVM_AUTOBACKUP If this variable is set to "no" then the automatic backup of VG metadata is turned off. LVM_VG_MAX_BACKUPS This variable determines the backup history depth of kept VGDA copy files in /etc/lvmconf. It can be set to a positive number between 0 and 999. The higher this number is, the more changes you can restore using vgcfgrestore(8). See also1 lvm(8), vgcreate(8), vgextend(8), vgreduce(8), vgsplit(8), pvmove(8) AUTHOR
Heinz Mauelshagen <Linux-LVM@Sistina.com> Heinz Mauelshagen LVM TOOLS VGMERGE(8)