Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Converting variable space width data into CSV data in bash Post 302629723 by itkamaraj on Wednesday 25th of April 2012 04:41:07 AM
Old 04-25-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagar_1986
try this

csv=`cat filename |tr -s " " ","`
useless use of cat award

Useless Use of Cat Award

Code:
$ tr -s " " "," < input.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Converting field into fixed width csv

Hi I have a file having record as - 1,aaa,a123,a I need this converted to as 2nd col to 5 chars wide & 3rd col to 6chars wide such as - 1,aaa ,a123 ,a How we could achieve this? Thx in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: videsh77
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to read the data from an excel sheet and use those data as variable in the unix c

I have 3 columns in an excel sheet. c1 c2 c3 EIP_ACCOUNT SMALL_TS_01 select A.* from acc; All the above 3 col shoud be passed a variable in the unix code. 1.How to read an excel file 2.How to pass these data as variable to the unic script (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anne Grace
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

converting a tabular format data to comma seperated data in KSH

Hi, Could anyone help me in changing a tabular format output to comma seperated file pls in K-sh. Its very urgent. E.g : username empid ------------------------ sri 123 to username,empid sri,123 Thanks, Hema:confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hemamalini
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cleaning up spaces from fixed width file while converting to csv file

Open to a sed/awk/or perl alternative so that i can stick command into my bash script. This is a problem I resolve using a combination of cut commands - but that is getting convoluted. So would really appreciate it if someone could provide a better solution which basically replaces all... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: svn
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell snip to import CSV data into BASH array

I have been trying to write a simple snip of bash shell code to import from 1 to 100 records into a BASH array. I have a CSV file that is structured like: record1,item1,item2,item3,item4,etc.,etc. .... (<= 100 items) record2,item1,item2,item3,item4,etc.,etc. .... (<= 100 items)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dstrout
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to save the space when converting to CSV file

Hi, I have a text file with the following format. Some of the fields are blank. 1234 3456 23 45464 327837283232 343434 5654353 34 34343 3434345 434242 .... .... .... I need to convert this file to a CSV file, like 1234, ,23, ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wintersnow2011
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing XML (and insert data) then output data (bash / Solaris)

Hi folks I have a script I wrote that basically parses a bunch of config and xml files works out were to add in the new content then spits out the data into a new file. It all works - apart from the xml and config file format in the new file with XML files the original XML (that ends up in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dfinch
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting data for text file to csv

Gents Using the script attached (raw2csv). i use to create the file .csv.. The input file is called 201.raw. Kindly can you check if there is easy way to do it. The script works fine but takes a lot time to process Thanks for your help (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Converting unstructured data to structured data

Hi, Can someone help in converting the below unstructured data to a CSV format please. { "branchId" : "BNSFGDJNSJG-73264HB-132131BNHJFSDG", "branchName" : "NEWYORK-SSDF", "branchProductId" : "72Y5HFHSF7H3RUNAWEF", "PreferenceId" : "BASDBVcbzcYHcb", "emailId" :... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveen.kuppili
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Data extraction and converting into .csv file.

Hi All, I have a data file and need to extract and convert it into csv format: 1) Read and extract the line containing string ending with "----" (file sample_linebyline.txt file) and to make a .csv file from this. 2) To read the flat file flatfile_sample.txt which consists of similar data (... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi_123
9 Replies
gvfs-cat(1)							   User Commands						       gvfs-cat(1)

NAME
gvfs-cat - print a file to standard output using the VFS system SYNOPSIS
gvfs-cat URI DESCRIPTION
gvfs-cat prints a file to standard output using the virtual file system to access the file via a URI. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: URI Specifies the file location in standard URI format. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cat a File From a Web Server example% gvfs-cat http://www.sun.com Example 2: Cat a Local File example% gvfs-cat file:///home/user/README.txt ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables: NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The exit value 0 is returned regardless of success or failure. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gvfs-cat Executable to print a file to standard output using the VFS system ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-gvfs | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gvfs-copy(1), gvfs-info(1), gvfs-less(1), gvfs-ls(1), gvfs-mkdir(1) gvfs-monitor-dir(1), gvfs-monitor-file(1), gvfs-mount(1), gvfs-move(1), gvfs-rename(1), gvfs-open(1), gvfs-rm(1), gvfs-save(1), gvfs-trash(1), gvfs-tree(1), attributes(5), environ(5) NOTES
Written by Alvaro Lopez Ortega, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2008. SunOS 5.11 25 Mar 2008 gvfs-cat(1)