Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Compare multiple files and print unique lines Post 302595538 by radoulov on Friday 3rd of February 2012 11:19:36 AM
Old 02-03-2012
Please post bigger samples of the input files and, again, an example of the desired output based on that exact input.

For example, I don't understand why these two lines shouldn't be considered unique ...:

Code:
D E F 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 
D E F 90 88 76 54 32 1 0 1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to compare lines of two files and print output on screen

hey guys, I have two files both with two columns, I have already created an awk code to ignore certain lines (e.g lines that start with 963) as they wou ld begin with a certain string, however, the rest I have added together and calculated the average. At the moment the code also displays... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chlfc
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files and print the two lines with difference

I have two files like this: #FILE 1 ABCD 4322 26485 JMTJ 5311 97248 XMPJ 4321 58978 #FILE 2 ABCD 4321 26485 JMTJ 5311 97248 XMPJ 4321 68978 What to do: Compare the two files and find those lines that doesn't match. And have a new file like this: #FILE 3 "from file 1" ABCD 4322 26485... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingpeejay
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK print lines into multiple files

Hi, i have an input text file like this: Student 1 maths science = Student 2 maths science = Student 3 maths science i would like to print each student information into separate files, each student id is separated by "=". (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saint2006
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare Tab Separated Field with AWK to all and print lines of unique fields.

Hi. I have a tab separated file that has a couple nearly identical lines. When doing: sort file | uniq > file.new It passes through the nearly identical lines because, well, they still are unique. a) I want to look only at field x for uniqueness and if the content in field x is the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rocket_dog
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare 2 files and return unique lines in each file (based on condition)

hi my problem is little complicated one. i have 2 files which appear like this file 1 abbsss:aa:22:34:as akl abc 1234 mkilll:as:ss:23:qs asc abc 0987 mlopii:cd:wq:24:as asd abc 7866 file2 lkoaa:as:24:32:sa alk abc 3245 lkmo:as:34:43:qs qsa abc 0987 kloia:ds:45:56:sa acq abc 7805 i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anurupa777
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare multiple files, identify common records and combine unique values into one file

Good morning all, I have a problem that is one step beyond a standard awk compare. I would like to compare three files which have several thousand records against a fourth file. All of them have a value in each row that is identical, and one value in each of those rows which may be duplicated... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nashton
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print unique lines without sort or unique

I would like to print unique lines without sort or unique. Unfortunately the server I am working on does not have sort or unique. I have not been able to contact the administrator of the server to ask him to add it for several weeks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare columns of multiple files and print those unique string from File1 in an output file.

Hi, I have multiple files that each contain one column of strings: File1: 123abc 456def 789ghi File2: 123abc 456def 891jkl File3: 234mno 123abc 456def In total I have 25 of these type of file. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading multiple values from multiple lines and columns and setting them to unique variables.

Hello, I would like to ask for help with csh script. An example of an input in .txt file is below, the number of lines varies from file to file and I have 2 or 3 columns with values. I would like to read all the values (probably one by one) and set them to independent unique variables that... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: FMMOLA
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Print number of lines for files in directory, also print number of unique lines

I have a directory of files, I can show the number of lines in each file and order them from lowest to highest with: wc -l *|sort 15263 Image.txt 16401 reference.txt 40459 richtexteditor.txt How can I also print the number of unique lines in each file? 15263 1401 Image.txt 16401... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacegoose
15 Replies
CAT(1)							      General Commands Manual							    CAT(1)

NAME
cat - catenate and print SYNOPSIS
cat [ -u ] [ -n ] [ -s ] [ -v ] file ... DESCRIPTION
Cat reads each file in sequence and displays it on the standard output. Thus cat file displays the file on the standard output, and cat file1 file2 >file3 concatenates the first two files and places the result on the third. If no input file is given, or if the argument `-' is encountered, cat reads from the standard input file. Output is buffered in the block size recommended by stat(2) unless the standard output is a terminal, when it is line buffered. The -u option makes the output completely unbuffered. The -n option displays the output lines preceded by lines numbers, numbered sequentially from 1. Specifying the -b option with the -n option omits the line numbers from blank lines. The -s option crushes out multiple adjacent empty lines so that the output is displayed single spaced. The -v option displays non-printing characters so that they are visible. Control characters print like ^X for control-x; the delete char- acter (octal 0177) prints as ^?. Non-ascii characters (with the high bit set) are printed as M- (for meta) followed by the character of the low 7 bits. A -e option may be given with the -v option, which displays a `$' character at the end of each line. Specifying the -t option with the -v option displays tab characters as ^I. SEE ALSO
cp(1), ex(1), more(1), pr(1), tail(1) BUGS
Beware of `cat a b >a' and `cat a b >b', which destroy the input files before reading them. 4th Berkeley Distribution May 5, 1986 CAT(1)