Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting matching a string followed by a number Post 302586996 by durden_tyler on Tuesday 3rd of January 2012 11:39:27 PM
Old 01-04-2012
Code:
$
$ cat f28
joe-dimech-varp123.23-drw.msf
peter-erch-varp2.23-drw.msf
pawlu-donje-seru-varp3123.23-drw.msf
$
$
$ perl -plne 's/-varp[\d.]+//' f28
joe-dimech-drw.msf
peter-erch-drw.msf
pawlu-donje-seru-drw.msf
$
$

tyler_durden

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed problem - replacement string should be same length as matching string.

Hi guys, I hope you can help me with my problem. I have a text file that contains lines like this: 78 ANGELO -809.05 79 ANGELO2 -5,000.06 I need to find all occurences of amounts that are negative and replace them with x's 78 ANGELO xxxxxxx 79... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amangeles
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help matching a number

Using PERL. I have a variable called number. I need to match a range. The number can be no bigger than 6777 and no smaller than 2000. The number will always begin with a 2, 4, or 6. The next three numbers will range between 1 and 7. $number = xxxx I'm trying something like this but I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: x96riley3
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the line number of matching braces

Hi,I am new to shell scripting and i want to find the line numbers of matching braces. The file contents are as follows File XXX.dat 1 ( CLASS "FRUIT" 2 (TYPE "PERSISTENT") 3 (MESSAGE_TYPE "M") 4 (GET_REQRD "Y") 5 (SET_REQRD "Y") 6 ) 7 ( CLASS... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajendra_1510
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find out line number of matching string using grep

Hi all, I want to display line number for matching string in a file. can anyone please help me. I used grep -n "ABC" file so it displays 6 ABC. But i only want to have line number,i don't want that it should prefix matching context with line number. Actually my original... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing number in bash (number is in form of string)

I have a txt file as database. when i run my program what it does is it ask me for 3 name and stored in the file as name1:name2:name3:1 when u enter 3 name it add those in file as above format and add 1 at the end. I what i want is if i enter same names again it changes that 1 to 2 and so... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Learnerabc
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching string from input to string of file

Hi, i want to know how to compare string of file with input string im trying following code: file_no=`paste -s -d "||||\n" a.txt | cut -c 1` #it will return collection number from file echo "enter number" read " curr_no" if ; then echo " current number already present" fi ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: a_smith
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating number by pattern matching

I have a certain mnemonic string from which I want to calculate a number The pattern follows three letters s, v and d. If a letter is by its own, the number assigned to the letter is assumed to be one. Else it takes the value preceeding it. I then need to add the numbers together. Example ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching a decimal number?

Hi everyone! Easy question for everyone. I'm trying to run a command line to find an exact match of a decimal number within a file. The number can be a positive OR negative number. For instance, if I want to find only the number -1 in the file that has: -17.6 -17 -16.3 -16.2 -15.7 -15.3... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucshi09
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove matching pattern on each line with number variations

Hello folks! I have a file containing lines like this Something text 18:37Remove This: 1,111"Keep this text" Some more text 19:37Remove This: 222"Keep this text" More text 20:50Remove This: 3,333Keep this text And more text 25:50Remove This: 44,444Keep this text I would like to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: martinsmith
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Concatenate a string and number and compare that with another string in awk script

I have below code inside my awk script if ( $0 ~ /SVC IN:/ ) { svc_in=substr( $0,23 , 3); if (msg_start == 1 && msg_end == 0) { msg_arr=$0; } } else if ( $0 ~ /^SVC OUT:/ ) { svc_out=substr( $0, 9, 3); if (msg_start == 1 && msg_end == 0) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhagya123
6 Replies
NFACCESS(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       NFACCESS(8)

NAME
nfaccess - Add access rights to a set of Notesfiles SYNOPSIS
nfaccess access-right topic [ topic ... ] DESCRIPTION
Nfaccess simplifies the task of adding an access-right to many notesfiles. The function is somewhat analagous to that of chmod(1). The access-right specifies a user, group or system and the permissions to be granted. The format is: <access-right> ::= [<type>:]name=<mode> <type> ::= {User, user, Group, group, System, system} <mode> ::= {d, r, w, a, n}+ The type specification can be omitted; when it is omitted, the name is assumed to be a user. The mode is additive. A mode of ``rw'' spec- ifies read and write. The ``n'' mode specifies null access. The new access right is inserted in each specified notesfiles access list. If the user/group/system already has an entry, the old entry is replaced with the new entry. All users are allowed to run this program. The changes are only applied to notesfiles for which the executing user is a director. This program lives in the notesfile utility directory, typically ``/usr/spool/notes/.utilities''. To automatically add specific access-rights to newly created notesfiles, the file ``/usr/spool/notes/.utilities/access-template'' is use- ful. If it exists, the file contains lines of acces-rights which are added to each notesfile as it is created. If several people share the administration of the notesfile system, each can be added to the access-lists of newly created notesfiles by placing appropriate lines in this file. EXAMPLES
nfaccess essick=drw /usr/spool/notes/* nfaccess group:srg=rw this that other nfaccess user:kolstad=rw mynotes In the first example, user `essick' is given director/read/write access to all the notesfiles in /usr/spool/notes. Any permissions (or restrictions) he might have had before are overridden. The second example gives group `srg' read/write access to notesfiles `this', `that' and `other'. In the final example, user `kolstad' is given read/write access to the notesfile `mynotes'. BUGS
Entries can not be removed from the access list with this program. Entries can not merely be augmented (``just add write permission'') with this program. FILES
/etc/passwd for the users name /etc/group for the users group /usr/spool/notes the default notesfile data base SEE ALSO
mknf(8), notes(1), nfcomment(3), The Notesfile Reference Manual AUTHORS
Ray Essick (uiucdcs!essick, essick%uiuc@csnet-relay.arpa) University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Urbana, IL University of Illinois NFACCESS(8)