Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Manipulation of a list
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Manipulation of a list Post 302586956 by methyl on Tuesday 3rd of January 2012 06:53:20 PM
Old 01-03-2012
Apologies (insult removed from post) because I can see that you are an experienced poster. There are many who jump on the "cat" command because they have seen other uninformed posts. They do not take into account the quality of the read routine within the program. The read routine of the "cut" program is not of the same raw quality as "cat".
I do take offence to posters who post alternative code where there is no benefit whatsoever from not using "cat".

Just in case it is better on your O/S, try "timex" on a decent sized file.

Last edited by methyl; 01-03-2012 at 08:00 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Manipulation

Hi, I am trying to manipulate a file that looks something like below: ! 7788 |778855 |SCOTT | ! 7782 |778223 |CLARK | ! 7902 |790245 |FORD | ! 7698 |7698455 |BLAKE | ! 7934 |79345767 |MILLER | ! 7844 |784 |TURNER |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkumar28
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

manipulation

hi, i have got a table with n number of rows and 2 columns..how can i get get 1 row at a time using any unix command without copying to any file? Thanks and Regards vivek.s (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivekshankar
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Subtract 100 from first field in long list? Simple manipulation?

It sounds so easy to do. I have a file thats laid out like this.. number text text text text (etc about 15 times with various text fields) I want to take the first field, "number", subtract 100 from it, and then put it back in the file. a simple little manipulation of the first field in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date Manipulation

I need to achieve the following.....I seached the forum but could not find it... This is I have in a file... "CH","TIA","10/27/2006",000590 I need the date in the third field to be attached to fileas 20061027_test.txt How do I do it. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mgirinath
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

text manipulation

I am tryin to figure out how to extract interested text from file example.txt blah blah blah a: child1 blah a: child2 blah b: parent1 blah blah blah .... blah a: child21 blah a: child22 blah a: child23 blah b: parent2 this kinda text repeats .. number of children is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajkishore
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a list @list by space delimiter so i can access it by using $list[0 ..1..2]

EDIT : This is for perl @data2 = grep(/$data/, @list_now); This gives me @data2 as Printing data2 11 testzone1 running /zones/testzone1 ***-*****-****-*****-***** native shared But I really cant access data2 by its individual elements. $data2 is the entire list, while $data,2,3...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shriyer
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Data Manipulation

Hello I am currently having problems in mapulating a certain file which contains vaious data. Belos is a sample content Event=<3190> Client IP=<151.111.11.143> DNS=<abc.sbc.com> TransCount=<139> Client IP=<150.222.133.163> DNS=<xyz.yuu.com> TransCount=<3734> Event=<3120> Client... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: khestoi
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with file manipulation

Dear All, I have a question. So for the following sample file I would like to collect information about entries in $F, $F & $F so as to acheive the following output as shown below SK1.chr01 854 levure5 A G 225 . ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawannoel
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

File manipulation

Hi, My requirement is that ,i need to generate data file consisting of very high number of transactions. I need to take the header for the file containing pipe delimited columns from a different file(Header.txt containing headers for different formats).Please help me in this regard. Also for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krashraj
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

String manipulation.

If a have a variable with a first and last name. and say the variable looks like this... FIRST LAST how could process the variable to look like First .L bash 3.2 (osx) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: briandanielz
3 Replies
gvfs-cat(1)							   User Commands						       gvfs-cat(1)

NAME
gvfs-cat - print a file to standard output using the VFS system SYNOPSIS
gvfs-cat URI DESCRIPTION
gvfs-cat prints a file to standard output using the virtual file system to access the file via a URI. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: URI Specifies the file location in standard URI format. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cat a File From a Web Server example% gvfs-cat http://www.sun.com Example 2: Cat a Local File example% gvfs-cat file:///home/user/README.txt ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables: NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The exit value 0 is returned regardless of success or failure. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gvfs-cat Executable to print a file to standard output using the VFS system ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-gvfs | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gvfs-copy(1), gvfs-info(1), gvfs-less(1), gvfs-ls(1), gvfs-mkdir(1) gvfs-monitor-dir(1), gvfs-monitor-file(1), gvfs-mount(1), gvfs-move(1), gvfs-rename(1), gvfs-open(1), gvfs-rm(1), gvfs-save(1), gvfs-trash(1), gvfs-tree(1), attributes(5), environ(5) NOTES
Written by Alvaro Lopez Ortega, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2008. SunOS 5.11 25 Mar 2008 gvfs-cat(1)