Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting cp to copy only non-corrupt files Post 302585516 by Corona688 on Wednesday 28th of December 2011 01:37:51 PM
Old 12-28-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMHmedchem
2. If that doesn't work, reformat the new drive and copy data from my external backup back on to the new drive.
(the data that made it onto my external drive should be fine since cp can't copy a file system error)
I think you misunderstand slightly.

It's possible for a file that copied fine to have a chunk full of nulls in the middle of it because of the errxfer. That won't turn it into a mysterious undeleteable file. It'll be an ordinary file that doesn't misbehave with cp, but its contents could be other than what you were expecting.

These undeleteable files had corruption in the filesystem itself.

Since there were only 12 kilobytes of bad sectors -- which were as likely to happen in empty space as inside a file unless the drive was over 50% full -- the odds of this happening are hopefully low.
Quote:
Since this is an ntfs partition, should I try chkdsk in windows first, or can I try fsck from Ubuntu, or does it matter?
For block copies the contents don't matter, but if you want to actually check the filesystem contents, use windows tools to check windows filesystems.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

corrupt or lost data

Thank you livin Free for all your help. We removed a lot of spool files and report files. Which should have freed up some space. But now I think a major problem we have is we have lost or corrupt files which are preventing us from coming up correctly. Can we load or can you copy us a directory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NOT A CLUE
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I got a corrupt /etc/inittab file....what next?

Hi guys, For some reason a client has given us a Sun Netra T1 with Solaris 8 to administer for them. That's always good business. However, the other day we rebooted the machine and to our amazement, after doing the preliminary hardware tests, we got an error messgae saying that /etc/inittab was... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ivo
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

Corrupt Member File

I have been fine adding/removing printers up until this week. Now when I go to add a new remote printer I get "corrupted member file". I go to /etc/lp/member and the byte count on the new printer name is 0. I VI the file and put /dev/null in to make it the correct size and it all looks fine and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: astout
2 Replies

4. Solaris

How to corrupt a superblock?

I need to corrupt a superblock of a mounted device in a soalris m/c and check recovery from an alternate superblock. How can this be done? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sujathan
2 Replies

5. Solaris

How to safely copy full filesystems with large files (10Gb files)

Hello everyone. Need some help copying a filesystem. The situation is this: I have an oracle DB mounted on /u01 and need to copy it to /u02. /u01 is 500 Gb and /u02 is 300 Gb. The size used on /u01 is 187 Gb. This is running on solaris 9 and both filesystems are UFS. I have tried to do it using:... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragonov7
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to copy files followed by list of names of all the files in /etc?

....... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcbuilder
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

corrupt disk

Hallo Friends, I have application X running on hpux 11.11 and oracle 9i release 2. I recently had a hardware failure on disk /dev/dsk/c2t0d0 Below is the systemlog file : root@a7dmc:/var/adm/syslog > /opt/resmon/bin/resdata -R 155713541 -r /storage/events/enclosures/gazemon/0_1_1_0.0.0... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kekanap
11 Replies

8. Red Hat

Unable to copy files due to many files in directory

I have directory that has some billion file inside , i tried copy some files for specific date but it's always did not respond for long time and did not give any result.. i tried everything with find command and also with xargs.. even this command find . -mtime -2 -print | xargs ls -d did not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: before4
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 10 GIF files corrupt during unzip

Problem occurs on one Solaris build. Every time we unzip the Jan CPU, there are several patches that error out (appears to be related to the GIF files). When we unzip the CPU on another Solaris build to a network storage area, we can execute without issue on the original machine. Any ideas? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: grahamr72
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy files from one drive to another, keeping most recently modified files

Hi all, I am a bit of a beginner with shell scripting.. What I want to do is merge two drives, for example moving all data from X to Y. If a file in X doesn't exist in Y, it will be moved there. If a file in X also exists in Y, the most recently modified file will be moved to (or kept) in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: apocolapse
5 Replies
FORMAT(1)						      General Commands Manual							 FORMAT(1)

NAME
format - format a PC floppy diskette SYNOPSIS
format [-v] device [media-size [drive-size]] DESCRIPTION
Format allows a user with read-write permission to device to format a floppy. Either one of the special floppy devices must be used, see fd(4), or an automatic device may be used with the size of the floppy specified on the command line. Two sizes must be given when format- ting a low density diskette in a high density drive. For example: format /dev/at1 format /dev/fd1 1200 format /dev/fd1 360 1200 The first two commands format a 1.2M diskette, the last formats a 360k diskette in a 1.2M drive. A 1.44M drive knows when it's dealing with a low density floppy, so all these commands format a 720k diskette: format /dev/fd0 720 format /dev/fd0 720 1440 format /dev/ps0 No sizes may be specified when using a special floppy device, a size must be specified when using an automatic device. OPTIONS
-v Verify the process by reading each track after formatting it. Formatting is normally blind, the controller has no idea whether it succeeds or not. Use -v on a new box of cheap diskettes, or on a diskette that may have gone bad. Verifying will increase format- ting time by 50%. SEE ALSO
mkfs(1), fd(4). DIAGNOSTICS
Numbers will be printed on standard output to show that it is busy. The locations of bad sectors are printed on standard error when veri- fying. The exit code is zero unless there are too many bad spots. AUTHOR
Kees J. Bot (kjb@cs.vu.nl) FORMAT(1)