Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting cp to copy only non-corrupt files Post 302585177 by Corona688 on Tuesday 27th of December 2011 09:40:47 PM
Old 12-27-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMHmedchem
I assume I want a log file.
No point keeping one unless you have something to save it on. You can't save it on the old disk, you can't save it on the new disk, what exactly would you save it on?

Look at the value of errxfer during/after transfer. If it's ANYTHING but zero, there were bad sectors on the source disk during transfer.
Quote:
What kinds of things should I do to check the new disk after I make the data dump?
Depends what it is and what's on it. My expertise is with UNIX systems, not Windows ones. chkdsk may be able to successfully run on the new drive if it couldn't on the old one. Of course, my advice would be to hook it to a system which can mount the parittion and then just recover your data before you get too carried away...

Last edited by Corona688; 12-27-2011 at 10:48 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

corrupt or lost data

Thank you livin Free for all your help. We removed a lot of spool files and report files. Which should have freed up some space. But now I think a major problem we have is we have lost or corrupt files which are preventing us from coming up correctly. Can we load or can you copy us a directory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NOT A CLUE
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I got a corrupt /etc/inittab file....what next?

Hi guys, For some reason a client has given us a Sun Netra T1 with Solaris 8 to administer for them. That's always good business. However, the other day we rebooted the machine and to our amazement, after doing the preliminary hardware tests, we got an error messgae saying that /etc/inittab was... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ivo
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

Corrupt Member File

I have been fine adding/removing printers up until this week. Now when I go to add a new remote printer I get "corrupted member file". I go to /etc/lp/member and the byte count on the new printer name is 0. I VI the file and put /dev/null in to make it the correct size and it all looks fine and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: astout
2 Replies

4. Solaris

How to corrupt a superblock?

I need to corrupt a superblock of a mounted device in a soalris m/c and check recovery from an alternate superblock. How can this be done? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sujathan
2 Replies

5. Solaris

How to safely copy full filesystems with large files (10Gb files)

Hello everyone. Need some help copying a filesystem. The situation is this: I have an oracle DB mounted on /u01 and need to copy it to /u02. /u01 is 500 Gb and /u02 is 300 Gb. The size used on /u01 is 187 Gb. This is running on solaris 9 and both filesystems are UFS. I have tried to do it using:... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragonov7
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to copy files followed by list of names of all the files in /etc?

....... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcbuilder
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

corrupt disk

Hallo Friends, I have application X running on hpux 11.11 and oracle 9i release 2. I recently had a hardware failure on disk /dev/dsk/c2t0d0 Below is the systemlog file : root@a7dmc:/var/adm/syslog > /opt/resmon/bin/resdata -R 155713541 -r /storage/events/enclosures/gazemon/0_1_1_0.0.0... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kekanap
11 Replies

8. Red Hat

Unable to copy files due to many files in directory

I have directory that has some billion file inside , i tried copy some files for specific date but it's always did not respond for long time and did not give any result.. i tried everything with find command and also with xargs.. even this command find . -mtime -2 -print | xargs ls -d did not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: before4
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 10 GIF files corrupt during unzip

Problem occurs on one Solaris build. Every time we unzip the Jan CPU, there are several patches that error out (appears to be related to the GIF files). When we unzip the CPU on another Solaris build to a network storage area, we can execute without issue on the original machine. Any ideas? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: grahamr72
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy files from one drive to another, keeping most recently modified files

Hi all, I am a bit of a beginner with shell scripting.. What I want to do is merge two drives, for example moving all data from X to Y. If a file in X doesn't exist in Y, it will be moved there. If a file in X also exists in Y, the most recently modified file will be moved to (or kept) in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: apocolapse
5 Replies
BAD144(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 BAD144(8)

NAME
bad144 - read/write DEC standard 144 bad sector information SYNOPSIS
bad144 disktype disk [ sno [ bad ... ] ] DESCRIPTION
Bad144 can be used to inspect the information stored on a disk that is used by the disk drivers to implement bad sector forwarding. The format of the information is specified by DEC standard 144, as follows. The bad sector information is located in the first 5 even numbered sectors of the last track of the disk pack. There are five identical copies of the information, described by the dkbad structure. Only the first of these copies is used. Replacement sectors are allocated starting with the first sector before the bad sector information and working backwards towards the begin- ning of the disk. A maximum of 126 bad sectors can be supported. The position of the bad sector in the bad sector table determines which replacement sector it corresponds to. The bad sector information and replacement sectors are conventionally only accessible through the ``h'' file system partition of the disk. If that partition is used for a file system, the user is responsible for making sure that it does not overlap the bad sector information or any replacement sectors. The bad sector structure is as follows: struct dkbad { long bt_csn; /* cartridge serial number */ u_short bt_mbz; /* unused; should be 0 */ u_short bt_flag; /* -1 => alignment cartridge */ struct bt_bad { u_short bt_cyl; /* cylinder number of bad sector */ u_short bt_trksec; /* track and sector number */ } bt_bad[MAXBAD]; }; Unused slots in the bt_bad array are filled with all bits set, a putatively illegal value. MAXBAD (in <sys/dkbad.h>) may be tuned locally to reduce the space required to hold the bad-sector file in memory. It may not be greater than 126, which uses the whole disk sector. Bad sectors past MAXBAD may be included by the formatter, but replacement sectors will not be used until MAXBAD is increased. Bad144 is invoked by giving a device type (e.g. rk07, rm03, rm05, etc.), and a device name (e.g. hk0, hp1, etc.). It reads the first sec- tor of the last track of the corresponding disk and prints out the bad sector information. It may also be invoked giving a serial number for the pack and a list of bad sectors, and will then write the supplied information onto the same location. Note, however, that bad144 does not arrange for the specified sectors to be marked bad in this case. This option should only be used to restore known bad sector information which was destroyed. New bad sectors can be added by running the standard DEC formatter in section ``bad.'' SEE ALSO
badsect(8) BUGS
Not all drivers support bad-sector forwarding on the PDP-11. It should be possible to both format disks on-line under UNIX and to change the bad sector information, marking new bad sectors, without running a standalone program. The bootstrap drivers used to boot the system do not understand bad sectors or handle ECC errors. This means that none of these errors can occur when reading the file /unix to boot. Sector 0 of the disk drive and the file /boot in the root file system of that drive must also not have any of these errors in it. The drivers that write a system core image on disk after a crash do not handle errors; thus the crash dump area must be free of errors and bad sectors. 3rd Berkeley Distribution BAD144(8)