Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting cp to copy only non-corrupt files Post 302585177 by Corona688 on Tuesday 27th of December 2011 09:40:47 PM
Old 12-27-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMHmedchem
I assume I want a log file.
No point keeping one unless you have something to save it on. You can't save it on the old disk, you can't save it on the new disk, what exactly would you save it on?

Look at the value of errxfer during/after transfer. If it's ANYTHING but zero, there were bad sectors on the source disk during transfer.
Quote:
What kinds of things should I do to check the new disk after I make the data dump?
Depends what it is and what's on it. My expertise is with UNIX systems, not Windows ones. chkdsk may be able to successfully run on the new drive if it couldn't on the old one. Of course, my advice would be to hook it to a system which can mount the parittion and then just recover your data before you get too carried away...

Last edited by Corona688; 12-27-2011 at 10:48 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

corrupt or lost data

Thank you livin Free for all your help. We removed a lot of spool files and report files. Which should have freed up some space. But now I think a major problem we have is we have lost or corrupt files which are preventing us from coming up correctly. Can we load or can you copy us a directory... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NOT A CLUE
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I got a corrupt /etc/inittab file....what next?

Hi guys, For some reason a client has given us a Sun Netra T1 with Solaris 8 to administer for them. That's always good business. However, the other day we rebooted the machine and to our amazement, after doing the preliminary hardware tests, we got an error messgae saying that /etc/inittab was... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ivo
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

Corrupt Member File

I have been fine adding/removing printers up until this week. Now when I go to add a new remote printer I get "corrupted member file". I go to /etc/lp/member and the byte count on the new printer name is 0. I VI the file and put /dev/null in to make it the correct size and it all looks fine and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: astout
2 Replies

4. Solaris

How to corrupt a superblock?

I need to corrupt a superblock of a mounted device in a soalris m/c and check recovery from an alternate superblock. How can this be done? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sujathan
2 Replies

5. Solaris

How to safely copy full filesystems with large files (10Gb files)

Hello everyone. Need some help copying a filesystem. The situation is this: I have an oracle DB mounted on /u01 and need to copy it to /u02. /u01 is 500 Gb and /u02 is 300 Gb. The size used on /u01 is 187 Gb. This is running on solaris 9 and both filesystems are UFS. I have tried to do it using:... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragonov7
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to copy files followed by list of names of all the files in /etc?

....... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcbuilder
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

corrupt disk

Hallo Friends, I have application X running on hpux 11.11 and oracle 9i release 2. I recently had a hardware failure on disk /dev/dsk/c2t0d0 Below is the systemlog file : root@a7dmc:/var/adm/syslog > /opt/resmon/bin/resdata -R 155713541 -r /storage/events/enclosures/gazemon/0_1_1_0.0.0... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kekanap
11 Replies

8. Red Hat

Unable to copy files due to many files in directory

I have directory that has some billion file inside , i tried copy some files for specific date but it's always did not respond for long time and did not give any result.. i tried everything with find command and also with xargs.. even this command find . -mtime -2 -print | xargs ls -d did not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: before4
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 10 GIF files corrupt during unzip

Problem occurs on one Solaris build. Every time we unzip the Jan CPU, there are several patches that error out (appears to be related to the GIF files). When we unzip the CPU on another Solaris build to a network storage area, we can execute without issue on the original machine. Any ideas? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: grahamr72
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy files from one drive to another, keeping most recently modified files

Hi all, I am a bit of a beginner with shell scripting.. What I want to do is merge two drives, for example moving all data from X to Y. If a file in X doesn't exist in Y, it will be moved there. If a file in X also exists in Y, the most recently modified file will be moved to (or kept) in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: apocolapse
5 Replies
NTFSFIX(8)						      System Manager's Manual							NTFSFIX(8)

NAME
ntfsfix - fix common errors and force Windows to check NTFS SYNOPSIS
ntfsfix [options] device DESCRIPTION
ntfsfix is a utility that fixes some common NTFS problems. ntfsfix is NOT a Linux version of chkdsk. It only repairs some fundamental NTFS inconsistencies, resets the NTFS journal file and schedules an NTFS consistency check for the first boot into Windows. You may run ntfsfix on an NTFS volume if you think it was damaged by Windows or some other way and it cannot be mounted. OPTIONS
Below is a summary of all the options that ntfsfix accepts. Nearly all options have two equivalent names. The short name is preceded by - and the long name is preceded by --. Any single letter options, that don't take an argument, can be combined into a single command, e.g. -fv is equivalent to -f -v. Long named options can be abbreviated to any unique prefix of their name. -b, --clear-bad-sectors Clear the list of bad sectors. This is useful after cloning an old disk with bad sectors to a new disk. -d, --clear-dirty Clear the volume dirty flag if the volume can be fixed and mounted. If the option is not present or the volume cannot be fixed, the dirty volume flag is set to request a volume checking at next mount. -h, --help Show a list of options with a brief description of each one. -n, --do-nothing Do not write anything, just show what would have been done. -V, --version Show the version number, copyright and license BUGS
There are no known problems with ntfsfix. If you find a bug please send an email describing the problem to the development team: ntfs-3g-devel@lists.sf.net AUTHORS
ntfsfix was written by Anton Altaparmakov, with contributions from Szabolcs Szakacsits. It was ported to ntfs-3g by Erik Larsson and Jean- Pierre Andre. AVAILABILITY
ntfsfix is part of the ntfs-3g package and is available from: http://www.tuxera.com/community/ SEE ALSO
mkntfs(8), ntfsprogs(8) ntfs-3g 2012.1.15AR.5 January 2006 NTFSFIX(8)