Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: new-user permissions
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting new-user permissions Post 302581419 by sandeepyes on Tuesday 13th of December 2011 06:41:39 AM
Old 12-13-2011
hi ahmed,
I am using MontaVista Linux. I am not supposed to give options in useradd. I ll simply create users. They will get default permission. I want to change those default permissions.

Thanks,
Sandeep

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

view user permissions on directory

Hello, and thanks in advance- I just installled red hat and pinged my machine and got a reply. When i go to http://myIPhere from my other machine it asks for a password and username. It doesnt accepts the username and passwords I use to login to my linux box. I therefore think its a premissions... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 99miles
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Changing permissions of a user

So I need to change the permissions of my user account. I can access the root account on the server, but don't know how to change the permissions of my user account. I was advised to try 'userconf' to see if I am part of a group, but I dunno how that works. ANyone who knows how to see the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: achink125
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

user permissions question

I have an application where in a user uploads files into a directory that has a collection of image files, as well as a text file that is read by a web script later. The script imports the text file data into a database, then copies the image files to a secure location. Ideally it should remove... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cdw.lighting
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find a user's file permissions

Hi. I would like to know if there is any command that could list simple file permissions (like , R , RW..etc) for a given uid/userid and on a given file/dir. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ram123
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to do i change the user permissions..

Hi everyone, There are couple of users of which i need to give 2 of the users admin rights so that they are able to run the administration commands like "zoneadm" and locale. When logged in as root i am obviously able to do that.please suggest any way by which the other 2 user's permissions... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sankasu
1 Replies

6. Solaris

user permissions

hi i want to display the usernames,usergroups user permissions and user home directory's with in a single command.and possibities are their for getting this output .. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to see a user's permissions on a directory

i know about ls, I know.... but some of our shares have a long messy list of acls and it is a lot to sort through.. without a grep option, unless you have a really nice one, is there a simple way to say: show me <USER> acl permissions on <SHARE> ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glev2005
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check the permissions linux user

i have some question for example: suppose we have the Public folder as follows: https://www.unix.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2759&stc=1&d=1334070669 If the user enter: -Kenshin or /home/kenshin/Public output: abc: kenshin: rw my shell: echo "Enter User:" read user ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingkner
3 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Check the permissions user

i have some question for example: suppose we have the Public folder as follows: https://www.unix.com/attachments/shell-programming-scripting/2759d1334070669-check-permissions-linux-user-capture.png If user enter: -Kenshin or /home/kenshin/Public output: abc: kenshin: rw my shell:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kingkner
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

File permissions for particular user

Hi, How can we assign file permissions for a purticular user, rather than giving to whole group. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
4 Replies
KEYCTL_SETPERM(3)                                           Linux Key Management Calls                                           KEYCTL_SETPERM(3)

NAME
keyctl_setperm - Change the permissions mask on a key SYNOPSIS
#include <keyutils.h> long keyctl_setperm(key_serial_t key, key_perm_t perm); DESCRIPTION
keyctl_setperm() changes the permissions mask on a key. A process that does not have the SysAdmin capability may not change the permissions mask on a key that doesn't have the same UID as the caller. The caller must have setattr permission on a key to be able change its permissions mask. The permissions mask is a bitwise-OR of the following flags: KEY_xxx_VIEW Grant permission to view the attributes of a key. KEY_xxx_READ Grant permission to read the payload of a key or to list a keyring. KEY_xxx_WRITE Grant permission to modify the payload of a key or to add or remove links to/from a keyring. KEY_xxx_SEARCH Grant permission to find a key or to search a keyring. KEY_xxx_LINK Grant permission to make links to a key. KEY_xxx_SETATTR Grant permission to change the ownership and permissions attributes of a key. KEY_xxx_ALL Grant all the above. The 'xxx' in the above should be replaced by one of: POS Grant the permission to a process that possesses the key (has it attached searchably to one of the process's keyrings). USR Grant the permission to a process with the same UID as the key. GRP Grant the permission to a process with the same GID as the key, or with a match for the key's GID amongst that process's Groups list. OTH Grant the permission to any other process. Examples include: KEY_POS_VIEW, KEY_USR_READ, KEY_GRP_SEARCH and KEY_OTH_ALL. User, group and other grants are exclusive: if a process qualifies in the 'user' category, it will not qualify in the 'groups' category; and if a process qualifies in either 'user' or 'groups' then it will not qualify in the 'other' category. Possessor grants are cumulative with the grants from the 'user', 'groups' and 'other' categories. RETURN VALUE
On success keyctl_setperm() returns 0 . On error, the value -1 will be returned and errno will have been set to an appropriate error. ERRORS
ENOKEY The specied key does not exist. EKEYEXPIRED The specified key has expired. EKEYREVOKED The specified key has been revoked. EACCES The named key exists, but does not grant setattr permission to the calling process. LINKING
This is a library function that can be found in libkeyutils. When linking, -lkeyutils should be specified to the linker. SEE ALSO
keyctl(1), add_key(2), keyctl(2), request_key(2), keyctl_get_keyring_ID(3), keyctl_join_session_keyring(3), keyctl_update(3), keyctl_revoke(3), keyctl_chown(3), keyctl_describe(3), keyctl_clear(3), keyctl_link(3), keyctl_unlink(3), keyctl_search(3), keyctl_read(3), keyctl_instantiate(3), keyctl_negate(3), keyctl_set_reqkey_keyring(3), keyctl_set_timeout(3), keyctl_assume_authority(3), keyctl_describe_alloc(3), keyctl_read_alloc(3), request-key(8) Linux 4 May 2006 KEYCTL_SETPERM(3)