Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Whats the meaning of set -e inside the script Post 302578471 by Corona688 on Thursday 1st of December 2011 02:50:34 PM
Old 12-01-2011
set is built into bash, but it's also a POSIX feature expected of any shell, which is why there's two man pages.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Whats the meaning

What the folowing statements means and whats the use of it ? expr $db_name + 2 >/dev/null 2>&1 Thanks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhananjaysk
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

whats the purpose of the following script?

whats the purpose of the following script? who could run it? To what is the script refering that exceeds 75%? The mailbox? What does sed 's/%//' do? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vrn
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Whats the meaning of this code

Hi all, I am unable interpret this code ......... nohup $OPSSHLPATH/mkt_sas_load_cic.sh $db_name $process_id $loc_mm > $OPSLSTPATH/mkt_sas_load_cic.out & Thanks ....In advance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhananjaysk
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Whats wrong with this script?

Hi all, #!/bin/ksh BIN=/interface/Gunner age=$1 directory="$2" && directory=. cd "$directory" || exit 1 from=`$BIN/today -$age` cd $BIN for i in `cat filestoarchive.txt`;do cd $i find . -mtime 14 | grep -v '.tar$' | $BIN/dttmfilter | awk '$1<="'$from'"{ print;};' | \ done (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayarsenal
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Whats wrong in this Script ???

PATH="/clocal/mqbrkrs/user/mqsiadm/sanjay" MAIL_RECIPIENTS="xyz@abc.com" Subject="File accessed in last minutes:" find $PATH -type f -amin -1 > temp.txt.$$ cat temp.txt.$$ | \ while read line do fuser -uV $line >> tempmail.txt done cat "$tempmail.txt" | mailx -s "$Subject"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Whats wrong in the script?

if then if then echo "fst argument is $1 " else if then "fst argument is $1" fi fi fi Can anyone tell me. My requirement is tht pass a string .. Check whether it contains "-". If yes then check if it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nehagupta2008
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Set terminal width inside a shell script

Hi all, I have a shell script which uses "mailx -H" to get the subject of a email in a Linux system. However, the subject is truncated, and I think it has something to do with the terminal width because it only returns the first 80 characters of each line. I have tried "stty columns"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mezzo
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

set -options not working inside for loop?

I'm a beginner in shell scripting (I'm using ksh). I'm manipulating some files and I'm using set -A to transform each read line into a numeric array. However, inside the 'for' loop the options of set (ie '-A') are not recognized (the vi editor doesn't highlight it and it doesn't work). Where... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kasumlolla
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed with shell script to search and replace a set of strings among the set of files

Hi, I am looking for a shell script which serves the below purpose. Please find below the algorithm for the same and any help on this would be highly appreciated. 1)set of strings need to be replaced among set of files(directory may contain different types of files) 2)It should search for... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amulya
10 Replies
script(1)						      General Commands Manual							 script(1)

NAME
script - Makes a transcript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [file] The script command makes a transcript of everything printed on your terminal. OPTIONS
Appends the transcript to file rather than writing it to file. OPERANDS
The name of an output file that will contain the transcript of the session. If this parameter is omitted, the file typescript is written. DESCRIPTION
The transcript is written to file, or appended to file if the -a option is given. If no file name is given, the transcript is saved in the file typescript. The script ends when the forked shell exits. This program is useful when you are using a CRT and want a hard-copy record of the dialog (for example, a technical writer might create an example of a working session this way). If you specify the -a option and the file does not exist, it is created. If you do not specify the -a option and the file exists, it is replaced. RESTRICTIONS
The script command requires a streams based terminal. In single user mode, streams may not be enabled. Under these circumstances, script will exit with no action. If you are the superuser and need to run this command in single user mode, use the following special instruc- tions. Enabling Streams If it is necessary to enable a streams environment in the single user mode, enter the command /sbin/init.d/streams. This command is avail- able to the superuser only. SEE ALSO
Commands: autopush(8), cat(1), echo(1), strsetup(8), tee(1) System Administration script(1)