Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Storing Grep Files into Var and comparing it Post 302576749 by methyl on Saturday 26th of November 2011 06:03:49 AM
Old 11-26-2011
... and correct the first line (the shebang line). Also lose the excess semi-colons. I've also given the code a more conventional indentation.

Code:
#!/bin/bash

clear

echo "Checking Password Profile Policy"

VAR1=`grep "MINDIFF" "/etc/default/passwd"`
echo "$VAR1"
if [ "$VAR1"  == "MINDIFF=3" ]
then
         echo "MINDIFF is set to 3, which.."
else
         echo "HELLO"
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Storing data of files

Hi, How to store datas of the file into a string? Thanks in advance.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Fr0z3n999
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing space delimited line in var with loop?

I have a script that converts a file into an html table. This script works fine for a 1 column table. However, I'm trying to do this for a multi-column table. My input file will look something like this: a b c d e f g h i My script basically works by taking in each line and putting that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eltinator
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ksh Storing Multiple Files and reading each line in each file.

How would I go about storing multiple file paths in a directory that begin like: 20080402* and run a loop that reads each line of each file thats in a given directory. So far this is what I have: #!/bin/ksh echo "ENTER Reprint Date (YYYYMMDD): " read ReprintDate echo ""... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: developncode
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Storing data to many files

Please help me store the content of Input file to many files. Input file: record a b c record d record e f record ..... Create file1: a b c Create file2: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: buddyme
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue while storing grep result

Hi All, Command: grep -i -n "rule" *.err *.log | grep -v "SP_RULE" The above command when run gives me two -three lines of output. Now I am storing the result of the grep command ie, ruleerrors=`grep -i -n "rule" *.err *.log | grep -v "SP_RULE"` Now when I echo the value of ruleerrors, I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sreejith_VK
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing the matches in two files using awk when both files have their own field separators

I've two files with data like below: file1.txt: AAA,Apples,123 BBB,Bananas,124 CCC,Carrot,125 file2.txt: Store1|AAA|123|11 Store2|BBB|124|23 Store3|CCC|125|57 Store4|DDD|126|38 So,the field separator in file1.txt is a comma and in file2.txt,it is | Now,the output should be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asyed
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

One instance of comparing grep and awk

Hi. In thread https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-and-scripting/267833-grouping-counting.html rovf and I had a mini-discussion on grep and awk. Here is a demo script that compares the awk and grep approaches for this single problem: #!/usr/bin/env bash # @(#) s2 Demonstrate group... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: drl
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a BASH script allowing me to grep specifics from /var/log/messages?

I am wondering if there is a script (if one exists, not confident in my own scripting ability) that is able to bring up specified information from the /var/log/messages. I need to show logged traffic on specific dates and times and protocols (ie. Show all insecure FTP traffic (most likely via... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: vgplayer54
13 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Storing timestamp of files in an array

Hi, I have written the below script to get the timestamp of each files and result is as below Script find /home/user -type f -name "*.json" -printf '%Tc %p\n' | awk {'print $1 " " $2 " " $3 " " $4 " " $5 " " $6 " " $7'} Input -rw-r--r-- 1 user domain users 17382 Jul 19 06:10... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nextStep
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Comparing two files and list the difference with common first line content of both files

I have two file as given below which shows the ACL permissions of each file. I need to compare the source file with target file and list down the difference as specified below in required output. Can someone help me on this ? Source File ************* # file: /local/test_1 # owner: own #... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarathy_a35
4 Replies
BASENAME(3)								 1							       BASENAME(3)

basename - Returns trailing name component of path

SYNOPSIS
string basename (string $path, [string $suffix]) DESCRIPTION
Given a string containing the path to a file or directory, this function will return the trailing name component. PARAMETERS
o $path - A path. On Windows, both slash ( /) and backslash ( ) are used as directory separator character. In other environments, it is the forward slash ( /). o $suffix - If the name component ends in $suffix this will also be cut off. RETURN VALUES
Returns the base name of the given $path. EXAMPLES
Example #1 basename(3) example <?php echo "1) ".basename("/etc/sudoers.d", ".d").PHP_EOL; echo "2) ".basename("/etc/sudoers.d").PHP_EOL; echo "3) ".basename("/etc/passwd").PHP_EOL; echo "4) ".basename("/etc/").PHP_EOL; echo "5) ".basename(".").PHP_EOL; echo "6) ".basename("/"); ?> The above example will output: 1) sudoers 2) sudoers.d 3) passwd 4) etc 5) . 6) NOTES
Note basename(3) operates naively on the input string, and is not aware of the actual filesystem, or path components such as " ..". Note basename(3) is locale aware, so for it to see the correct basename with multibyte character paths, the matching locale must be set using the setlocale(3) function. SEE ALSO
dirname(3), pathinfo(3). PHP Documentation Group BASENAME(3)