Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting need help to compare 2 files inside a loop Post 302575124 by cstadnyk1 on Sunday 20th of November 2011 03:50:20 PM
Old 11-20-2011
This is good.....although I think it would be easier using an until loop. You will have to edit this because i know its not going to be right but for example....
Code:
read -p "colour : " colour

until grep -i "$colour" "colour_names.txt"
do *something*
done

My apologies for the loop...I am just learning. I tried your while loop but it doesnt seem to want to work.....even if the colour is right, it just keeps prompting to re renter

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags when posting data and code samples, thank you.

Last edited by Franklin52; 11-21-2011 at 08:07 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

for loop, calling and editing multiple files inside

hey guys, I'm trying to call and modify multiple files inside the for loop, i can't get it to work... ------------------------ AFILE=/dir/a_file.txt BFILE=/dir/b_file.txt CFILE=/dir/c_file.txt ADESTFILE=/dir/a_dest_file.txt BDESTFILE=/dir/b_dest_file.txt... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeuceLee
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variables created sequentially in a loop while still inside of the loop [bash]

I'm trying to understand if it's possible to create a set of variables that are numbered based on another variable (using eval) in a loop, and then call on it before the loop ends. As an example I've written a script called question (The fist command is to show what is the contents of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH loop inside a loop question

Hi all Sorry for the basic question, but i am writing a shell script to get around a slightly flaky binary that ships with one of our servers. This particular utility randomly generates the correct information and could work first time or may work on the 12th or 100th attempt etc !.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare date and time inside data of two files

i have two files with identical no of columns. 6th columns is date (MM/DD/YY format) and 7th columns is time (HH:MM:SS) format. I need to compare these two vaules and if the date & time is higher than fileA, save it on fileC; if the value is lower, then save it on fileD CONDITIONS... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajiwww
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Endless while loop when compare files

Hi All, I've written a script to read 2 files and compare the contents using while loop but somehow when $line is not found in test2, the script will continue looping. Below is my code, pls advise what could went wrong TIA Nick for line in test1.txt | while read line do grep -i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nick1971
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renumber position 88-94 inside all files matching criteria inside folder

There are 4 files inside one folder matching criteria i.e. File name = ABCJmdmfbsjopXXXXXXX_mm-dd-yyyy_XXX.data Here is the Code which find the files matching criteria:- TS=`date +"%m-%d-%Y"`| for fname in `find . -name "ABCJmdmfbsjop???????_${TS}*.data"` do # Matching File Processing Code.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lancesunny
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop inside awk to read and print contents of files

Hello, I have a set of files Xfile0001 - Xfile0021, and the content of this files (one at a time) needs to be printed between some line (lines start with word "Generated") that I am extracting from another file called file7.txt and all the output goes into output.txt. First I tried creating a for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaldo0805
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Avoiding some files inside a loop

In my script I need to loop around some files like below example files are fa.info.abcd fa.info.bxde fa.info.cdas ------ for test_data in fa.info.* do # Some text appending logic applied # Copy to another directory done Now I need to discard some files while looping around ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: smile689
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with copying files into dir inside for loop

Hi , I'm trying to move/copy the files inside the loop into a directory . I tried the below code and the issue is the data is not copying into the created directory but the files are copying into another file file_path="/home/etc" Last_Day=20130930 mkdir $file_path/ARC_${Last_Day} ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smile689
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Write a while loop inside for loop?

I'm taking a unix class and need to countdown to 0 from whatever number the user inputs. I know how to do this with a while or until loop but using the for loop is throwing me off.... I know I can use an if-then statement in my for loop but can I include a while loop in my for loop? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xxhieixx
3 Replies
DIFF(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   DIFF(1)

NAME
diff - differential file and directory comparator SYNOPSIS
diff [ -l ] [ -r ] [ -s ] [ -cefhn ] [ -biwt ] dir1 dir2 diff [ -cefhn ] [ -biwt ] file1 file2 diff [ -Dstring ] [ -biw ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
If both arguments are directories, diff sorts the contents of the directories by name, and then runs the regular file diff algorithm (described below) on text files which are different. Binary files which differ, common subdirectories, and files which appear in only one directory are listed. Options when comparing directories are: -l long output format; each text file diff is piped through pr(1) to paginate it, other differences are remembered and summarized after all text file differences are reported. -r causes application of diff recursively to common subdirectories encountered. -s causes diff to report files which are the same, which are otherwise not mentioned. -Sname starts a directory diff in the middle beginning with file name. When run on regular files, and when comparing text files which differ during directory comparison, diff tells what lines must be changed in the files to bring them into agreement. Except in rare circumstances, diff finds a smallest sufficient set of file differences. If nei- ther file1 nor file2 is a directory, then either may be given as `-', in which case the standard input is used. If file1 is a directory, then a file in that directory whose file-name is the same as the file-name of file2 is used (and vice versa). There are several options for output format; the default output format contains lines of these forms: n1 a n3,n4 n1,n2 d n3 n1,n2 c n3,n4 These lines resemble ed commands to convert file1 into file2. The numbers after the letters pertain to file2. In fact, by exchanging `a' for `d' and reading backward one may ascertain equally how to convert file2 into file1. As in ed, identical pairs where n1 = n2 or n3 = n4 are abbreviated as a single number. Following each of these lines come all the lines that are affected in the first file flagged by `<', then all the lines that are affected in the second file flagged by `>'. Except for -b, -w, -i or -t which may be given with any of the others, the following options are mutually exclusive: -e produces a script of a, c and d commands for the editor ed, which will recreate file2 from file1. In connection with -e, the fol- lowing shell program may help maintain multiple versions of a file. Only an ancestral file ($1) and a chain of version-to-version ed scripts ($2,$3,...) made by diff need be on hand. A `latest version' appears on the standard output. (shift; cat $*; echo '1,$p') | ed - $1 Extra commands are added to the output when comparing directories with -e, so that the result is a sh(1) script for converting text files which are common to the two directories from their state in dir1 to their state in dir2. -f produces a script similar to that of -e, not useful with ed, and in the opposite order. -n produces a script similar to that of -e, but in the opposite order and with a count of changed lines on each insert or delete com- mand. This is the form used by rcsdiff(1). -c produces a diff with lines of context. The default is to present 3 lines of context and may be changed, e.g to 10, by -c10. With -c the output format is modified slightly: the output beginning with identification of the files involved and their creation dates and then each change is separated by a line with a dozen *'s. The lines removed from file1 are marked with `- '; those added to file2 are marked `+ '. Lines which are changed from one file to the other are marked in both files with with `! '. Changes which lie within <context> lines of each other are grouped together on output. (This is a change from the previous ``diff -c'' but the resulting output is usually much easier to interpret.) -h does a fast, half-hearted job. It works only when changed stretches are short and well separated, but does work on files of unlimited length. -Dstring causes diff to create a merged version of file1 and file2 on the standard output, with C preprocessor controls included so that a compilation of the result without defining string is equivalent to compiling file1, while defining string will yield file2. -b causes trailing blanks (spaces and tabs) to be ignored, and other strings of blanks to compare equal. -w is similar to -b but causes whitespace (blanks and tabs) to be totally ignored. E.g., ``if ( a == b )'' will compare equal to ``if(a==b)''. -i ignores the case of letters. E.g., ``A'' will compare equal to ``a''. -t will expand tabs in output lines. Normal or -c output adds character(s) to the front of each line which may screw up the indenta- tion of the original source lines and make the output listing difficult to interpret. This option will preserve the original source's indentation. FILES
/tmp/d????? /usr/libexec/diffh for -h /bin/diff for directory diffs /bin/pr SEE ALSO
cmp(1), cc(1), comm(1), ed(1), diff3(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 for no differences, 1 for some, 2 for trouble. BUGS
Editing scripts produced under the -e or -f option are naive about creating lines consisting of a single `.'. When comparing directories with the -b, -w or -i options specified, diff first compares the files ala cmp, and then decides to run the diff algorithm if they are not equal. This may cause a small amount of spurious output if the files then turn out to be identical because the only differences are insignificant blank string or case differences. 4th Berkeley Distribution October 21, 1996 DIFF(1)