Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: split an action in groups
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting split an action in groups Post 302572853 by geovas on Friday 11th of November 2011 09:40:53 AM
Old 11-11-2011
split an action in groups

Hi all,

I need some help with a script I would like to amend.Let's say it's a simple script like the one below

Code:
controls=`grep line /etc/file |grep -v "^#"| awk -F":" '{print $4}'`
for cc in $controls
do
        echo $cc
        sleep 2
done

cc variable holds a list of 40 numbers. What I would like to do is for every five cc's to do an echo and then sleep for 2 seconds, then continue to the next five. Can anyone help me out with that please?

Thanks in advance
Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment
Please use code tags when posting data and code samples!

Last edited by vgersh99; 11-11-2011 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: code tags, please!

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

action command

Hi.. When i refered the script /etc/rc.sysinit... i found the "action commands" like But this is not working in my shells.. the following error is coming... Please anybody help Thanks in advance esham (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: esham
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tracking user action

Hi, we are using solaris8. we have some files disappear. I would like to know how to track who and when the files was remove ??? thanks, (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: xitrum
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split a file with no pattern -- Split, Csplit, Awk

I have gone through all the threads in the forum and tested out different things. I am trying to split a 3GB file into multiple files. Some files are even larger than this. For example: split -l 3000000 filename.txt This is very slow and it splits the file with 3 million records in each... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

same action in then as in else: explanation?

in /etc/init.d/networking of an ubuntu computer, I found this code: if ifdown -a --exclude=lo; then log_action_end_msg $? else log_action_end_msg $? fi Shouldn't it be replace by ifdown -a --exclude=lo ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: raphinou
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with find its action

I am writing a shell script that takes at least 2 arguments. The first is an octal representation of file permissions, the second is a command that is executed on all the files found with that permission. #!/bin/sh find . -perm $1 -exec $2 $3 $4 {} \; invoked: ./script.sh 543 ls -la what... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: computethis
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to split one field and print the last two fields within the split part.

Hello; I have a file consists of 4 columns separated by tab. The problem is the third fields. Some of the them are very long but can be split by the vertical bar "|". Also some of them do not contain the string "UniProt", but I could ignore it at this moment, and sort the file afterwards. Here is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

multiple action!

lets explain it easy by showing the initial file and desired file: I've a file such this that contains: initial_file: 31/12/2011 23:46:08 38.6762 43.689 14.16 Ml 3.1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: oreka18
1 Replies
SCRIPT-EMAIL(8) 					  System Administration Commands					   SCRIPT-EMAIL(8)

NAME
script-email - Amanda script to send email notifications DESCRIPTION
script-email is an Amanda script implementing the Script API. It should not be run by users directly. It sends a notification email to the addresses specified in the MAILTO property. PROPERTIES
This section lists the properties that control script-email's functionality. See amanda-scripts(7) for information on the Script API, script configuration. MAILTO List of email addresses that will receive an email on command execution. It is a multi-valued property: property "MAILTO" "amanda@domain.com" "sysadmin@domain.com" "amandauser@domain.com" EXAMPLE
In this example, script-email is scheduled to be run before the DLE, on the server. The unqualified email address amanda will be passed to the email system unchanged. The script is then attached to a dumptype, which can then be specified for any DLEs which require notification. define script-tool pre-email { comment "email me before this DLE is backed up" plugin "script-email" execute-on pre-dle-backup execute-where server property "mailto" "amanda" } define dumptype user-tar-email { user-tar script "pre-email" } SEE ALSO
amanda(8), amanda.conf(5), amanda-client.conf(5), amanda-scripts(7) The Amanda Wiki: : http://wiki.zmanda.com/ AUTHORS
Jean-Louis Martineau <martineau@zmanda.com> Zmanda, Inc. (http://www.zmanda.com) Dustin J. Mitchell <dustin@zmanda.com> Zmanda, Inc. (http://www.zmanda.com) Amanda 3.3.3 01/10/2013 SCRIPT-EMAIL(8)