Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Difference between system calls and normal functions in C Post 302571390 by pludi on Monday 7th of November 2011 08:28:10 AM
Old 11-07-2011
A regular function runs mostly in user space, and usually has a consistent interface across platforms (eg. the printf function takes the same arguments on Windows, AIX, Linux, BSD, MacOS, ...)
A system call, however, is the direct interface to the kernel functions. These are usually called by the C library as part of a regular function, and involve (as far as I know) triggering an interrupt. They are, by definition, very closely tied to the kernel, and not really that portable.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System Calls

What does the system call "dup" do? What is the difference between dup and dup2 I have a fair idea of what it does but I am confused when its coming down to the exact details... Please help me!:confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: clickonline1
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Any difference between the CLI of Mac OS X and normal UNIX?

Any? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: edward
11 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System calls for cp and mv

Which system calls are made for operations cp and mv (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaurava99
2 Replies

4. Solaris

System calls ?

where can i find the differences in System calls between solaris and aix? also is it possible to find a comprehensive list of them? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TECHRAMESH
1 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Using system calls

Hi, I'm new to UNIX system calls. Can someone share your knowledge as to how exactly system calls should be executed? Can they be typed like commands such as mkdir on the terminal itself? Also, are there any websites which will show me an example of the output to expect when a system call like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ilavenil
1 Replies

6. BSD

system calls

what is the functions and relationship between fork,exec,wait system calls as i am a beginer just want the fundamentals. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sangramdas
1 Replies

7. Solaris

difference between RPATH and normal linking while building

while building in solaris and going for dynamic linking whats the difference or advantage or disadvantage in using RPATH vs while linking package and dependency libraries i need a little explanation about this RPATH option specially and the difference with normal linking using -L (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mobydick
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

About system calls.

Hi all, I am new here . I want to know about system call in detail. As system calls are also function .How system identifies it.:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwasrao
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

system calls in C

Hello, how would i be able to call ps in C programming? thanks, ---------- Post updated at 01:39 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:31 AM ---------- here's the complete system call, ps -o pid -p %d, getpit() (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: l flipboi l
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between normal Execute permission and GUID

Hi, Any can explain the difference between the normal execute permission for the file and GUID of the file. Since the normal execute permission has right to execute file why there is need of providing GUID for the same file. Also share some examples for SUID and SGID programs. Regards... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksgnathan
3 Replies
SOCKETCALL(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						     SOCKETCALL(2)

NAME
socketcall - socket system calls SYNOPSIS
int socketcall(int call, unsigned long *args); DESCRIPTION
socketcall() is a common kernel entry point for the socket system calls. call determines which socket function to invoke. args points to a block containing the actual arguments, which are passed through to the appropriate call. User programs should call the appropriate functions by their usual names. Only standard library implementors and kernel hackers need to know about socketcall(). CONFORMING TO
This call is specific to Linux, and should not be used in programs intended to be portable. NOTES
On a few architectures, for example ia64, there is no socketcall() system call; instead socket(2), accept(2), bind(2), and so on really are implemented as separate system calls. SEE ALSO
accept(2), bind(2), connect(2), getpeername(2), getsockname(2), getsockopt(2), listen(2), recv(2), recvfrom(2), recvmsg(2), send(2), sendmsg(2), sendto(2), setsockopt(2), shutdown(2), socket(2), socketpair(2) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2007-06-28 SOCKETCALL(2)