Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using columns from 2 files and extracting string Post 302568458 by alpesh on Thursday 27th of October 2011 01:03:53 PM
Old 10-27-2011
Hi All,

Thanks for all the help. I am faced with a little complication now with respect to the last problem.The substring to be extracted must take care of the padded S values(column 6 in file2).
This column has values like 36M, 5S31M , 32M4S etc. The number associated with the leading S must be added to the starting position of the substring in the original string.So for 5S31M, 5 must be added to ($8-$2) of the print statement in the code. 32M4S should be ignored and treated as before, since it does not have a leading S. By leading S, I meant the character 'S' must be present at the beginning of the value of column 6, if the value is 2S30M4S, only the value 2 (associated with the leading S) and not 4 is to be considered for calculations. I hope I`m clear.

Thanks again,
Alpesh

---------- Post updated at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous update was at 09:52 AM ----------
This is what I came up with. Doesn't work, please help debug/change.
Code:
awk 'NR == FNR {
   f2[$1] = $10;
   f2[$2]=$6;next
   }
 $4 in f2 {
awk '{x=f2[$6];gsub(/[0-9]+[^0-9S]/,z);p=$1+0};
   print $0 "\t" substr(f2[$4], $8 - $2 +1 + $p, $9 - $8)
   }'  file2_truncated.txt file1_truncated.txt  | head

Last edited by Franklin52; 10-27-2011 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: Please use code tags for data and code samples, thank you

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting columns from different files for later merging

Hello! I wan't to extract columns from two files and later combine them for plotting with gnuplot. If the files file1 and file2 look like: fiile1: a, 0.62,x b, 0.61,x file2: a, 0.43,x b, 0,49,x The desired output is a 0.62 0.62 b 0.61 0.49 Thank you in advance! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingkong
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a string from one file and searching the same string in other files

Hi, Need to extract a string from one file and search the same in other files. Ex: I have file1 of hundred lines with no delimiters not even space. I have 3 more files. I should get 1 to 10 characters say substring from each line of file1 and search that string in rest of the files and get... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohancrr
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append string to columns from 2 files

Hi Having a file as follows file1.txt Date (dd/mm)Time Server IP Error Code =========================================================================== 10/04/2008 10:10 ServerA xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 6 10/04/2008 10:10 ServerB ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikn7974
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting columns from 2 files

Hello, I have 2 files file1 & file2 = a1 b1 a2 b2 a3 b3 ... = c1 d1 c2 d2 c3 d3 ... I need to compare if b(i)=c(j) . i,j=1,2,3,4,... If yes, right a(i) d(j) in output file3 per line (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newpromo
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting columns from multiple files with awk

hi everyone! I already posted it in scripts, I'm sorry, it's doubled I'd like to extract a single column from 5 different files and put them together in an output file. I saw a similar question for 2 input files, and the line of code workd very well, the code is: awk 'NR==FNR{a=$2; next}... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: orcaja
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting columns from multiple files with awk

hi everyone! I'd like to extract a single column from 5 different files and put them together in an output file. I saw a similar question for 2 input files, and the line of code workd very well, the code is: awk 'NR==FNR{a=$2; next} {print a, $2}' file1 file2 I added the file3, file4 and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: orcaja
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting columns falling within specific ranges for multiple files

Hi, I need to create weekly files from daily records stored in individual monthly filenames from 1999-2010. my sample file structure is like the ones below: daily record stored per month: 199901.xyz, 199902.xyz, 199903.xyz, 199904.xyz ...199912.xyz records inside 199901.xyz (original data... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ida1215
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare columns of multiple files and print those unique string from File1 in an output file.

Hi, I have multiple files that each contain one column of strings: File1: 123abc 456def 789ghi File2: 123abc 456def 891jkl File3: 234mno 123abc 456def In total I have 25 of these type of file. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting data from specific rows and columns from multiple csv files

I have a series of csv files in the following format eg file1 Experiment Name,XYZ_07/28/15, Specimen Name,Specimen_001, Tube Name, Control, Record Date,7/28/2015 14:50, $OP,XYZYZ, GUID,abc, Population,#Events,%Parent All Events,10500, P1,10071,95.9 Early Apoptosis,1113,11.1 Late... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pawannoel
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining files using awk not extracting all columns from File 2

Hello All I'm joining two files using Awk by Left outer join on the file 1 File 1 1 AA 2 BB 3 CC 4 DD File 2 1 IND 100 200 300 2 AUS 400 500 600 5 USA 700 800 900 (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkat_reddy
18 Replies
DIFF(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   DIFF(1)

NAME
diff - differential file comparator SYNOPSIS
diff [ -efbh ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Diff tells what lines must be changed in two files to bring them into agreement. If file1 (file2) is `-', the standard input is used. If file1 (file2) is a directory, then a file in that directory whose file-name is the same as the file-name of file2 (file1) is used. The normal output contains lines of these forms: n1 a n3,n4 n1,n2 d n3 n1,n2 c n3,n4 These lines resemble ed commands to convert file1 into file2. The numbers after the letters pertain to file2. In fact, by exchanging `a' for `d' and reading backward one may ascertain equally how to convert file2 into file1. As in ed, identical pairs where n1 = n2 or n3 = n4 are abbreviated as a single number. Following each of these lines come all the lines that are affected in the first file flagged by `<', then all the lines that are affected in the second file flagged by `>'. The -b option causes trailing blanks (spaces and tabs) to be ignored and other strings of blanks to compare equal. The -e option produces a script of a, c and d commands for the editor ed, which will recreate file2 from file1. The -f option produces a similar script, not useful with ed, in the opposite order. In connection with -e, the following shell program may help maintain multiple versions of a file. Only an ancestral file ($1) and a chain of version-to-version ed scripts ($2,$3,...) made by diff need be on hand. A `latest version' appears on the standard output. (shift; cat $*; echo '1,$p') | ed - $1 Except in rare circumstances, diff finds a smallest sufficient set of file differences. Option -h does a fast, half-hearted job. It works only when changed stretches are short and well separated, but does work on files of unlimited length. Options -e and -f are unavailable with -h. FILES
/tmp/d????? /usr/lib/diffh for -h SEE ALSO
cmp(1), comm(1), ed(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 for no differences, 1 for some, 2 for trouble. BUGS
Editing scripts produced under the -e or -f option are naive about creating lines consisting of a single `.'. DIFF(1)