Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Creating a filelist
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Creating a filelist Post 302558081 by mahe23 on Thursday 22nd of September 2011 04:52:28 PM
Old 09-22-2011
Creating a filelist

I need a script that will read a filename and verify that its today's file and rename it to a standard name so that my ETL job can read it on a daily basis. If there is no file for a day, I am thinking I will just read the one before to prevent my job from failing. Another option might be a filelist and I have the option of doing an indirect read as well (If there is a better way to do this please suggest).

The filename does have the date appended to it.

So, for example the name of the file for today will be something like:

xyz_20110922.txt

I need to take this and convert it as xyz.txt

Thank you in advance!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get nth file filelist

hi all, kindly help me in getting nth file from file list ls load*.txt > filelist.txt #filelist.txt contains list of files starts with load as filename now i am required to get one by one from filelist.txt for further processing, kindly let me know how to get it. thanks in advance -Bali (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: balireddy_77
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod - pass a filelist as a parameter?

Hi I have a text file which contains a list of file names (one file name per line). I would like to pass the contents of this file into chmod to change the permissions. I am having trouble getting the correct syntax for this. Can someone please tell me if its possible to do this? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alangibson
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

i want to combine two awk scripts which is having same loop and filelist

hi, to all give me some idea below scripts file=`cat filelist` for filename in $file do awk '{ if ($0 ~ /system/ && flag == 0) { flag=1; print $0; } else if ($0 ~ /system/ && flag == 1) { printf("%s SYSLAY %s %s %s\n",$1,$3, $4, $5); } else print $0; }' $filename >... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: LAKSHMI NARAYAN
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help on cat filelist.txt |xargs -n1 find

I am trying to find all the files listed in a filelist.txt. Why cant I use something like this cat filelist.txt | xargs -n1 find $path (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragonpoint
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fastest way to delete duplicates from a large filelist.....

OK I have two filelists...... The first is formatted like this.... /path/to/the/actual/file/location/filename.jpg and has up to a million records The second list shows filename.jpg where there is more then on instance. and has maybe up to 65,000 records I want to copy files... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashingaway
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk filelist containing strange characters

I've written a script: find -depth | awk ‘ { if ( substr($1,length($0)-2,3) == “/1.” ) { print $1 } { system(“awk -f test1.awk “ $1 ) } } ‘ The idea is that it trundles through a large directory structure looking for files which are named '1.' and then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nashcom
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

move files defined in filelist

Hi, I have a filelist named filestomove.txt. It can contain any number of files that need to be moved to a subdirectory. All the files from filelist are in the same directory as the filelist, let say it's called Folder1. All the files need to be moved to subfolder Folder1/Subfolder1. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kedrick
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Get filelist.txt from a sftp remote server

Hi everyone, so I have a script create a login file to log into the sftp remote server, go to a certain directory and get the list of files in that direction into a text file in another folder (local folder). Here is the piece of code echo "#!/usr/local/bin/expect -f" >>... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: warmboy610
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get filelist in a folder which is created in last x hours

Hi , I am looking for some help in getting the list of files matching some pattern in a folder and those were created in last X hours. Please help. Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anupam_Halder
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find the files based on date from filelist

Hi All, I have a filelist which contains the "ls" output, i want to extract the filenames written in this files based on date. I know i can run loop and extract the file but i want to avoid it. also there is find command which can be used on directory i.e. find . -type f -newermt "2019-09-25"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarinfa
3 Replies
sa1(8)							    BSD System Manager's Manual 						    sa1(8)

NAME
sa1 -- Generate a system activity daily data file. SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/sa/sa1 [t n] DESCRIPTION
The sa1 command is a shell script used to invoke the system activity data collector, sadc. The binary sample data is collected at intervals t seconds apart, in a loop n times. The binary sample data is written to the standard daily data file, /var/log/sa/sadd where the dd repre- sents the current day of the month. sa1 is intended to be started by cron. EXAMPLE CRON ENTRY
# Starting at 8am collect system activity records # every 20 minutes for 12 hours # 20 minutes = 1200 seconds # 12 hours with 3 samples each hour = 36 loops 0 8 * * 1-5 /usr/lib/sa/sa1 1200 36 # After the 12 hour period, # collect a system activity report 30 20 * * 1-5 /usr/lib/sa/sa2 -A FILES
/var/log/sa/sadd Default daily activity file that holds the binary sampling data. dd are digits that represent the day of the month. SEE ALSO
sa2(8), sadc(8), sar(1), iostat(8), vm_stat(1), netstat(1), top(1), sc_usage(1), fs_usage(1), crontab(1), crontab(5) Mac OS X Jul 25 2003 Mac OS X