Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix mail command internals
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unix mail command internals Post 302555746 by anindyabecs on Thursday 15th of September 2011 12:55:13 PM
Old 09-15-2011
Thanks a lot Corona688 for the info .. Really helpful , can you refer me some links or books if possible about the same, in case you know some..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. New to Unix. Which books should I read?

UniX internals Material

Hi! I have 1.5 years experience in unix environment and shell scripting. Now, I started learning UNIX internals and network programming. Can you please help in finding the same material on the net Thanks Srinivas. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinivaskathika
7 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

on unix internals

will anybody tell me how can i access all the fields of process table .if there is any structure and a system call please specify . (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vish_shan
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX mail command

hi, Im trying to send a e-mail to two people e.g X & Y . I run a shell script that uses the mail command to send an email to both these people . The email that i am sending contains two attatchments that i 'add' to a .mail file. mail <recipients> < filename.mail The problem that im... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nbvcxzdz
1 Replies

4. Programming

UNIX Internals, Help required...

I know UNIX user level commands, shell scripts. But i have no idea about kernel level programming and networking. I know the terms semaphore,IPC,socket programming. But i don't know in details what are these. I need to know the following. 1. Unix kernel level programming. 2. Unix Internals. 3.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: digdarshan
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mail command in UNIX

1)My main script Calls a function IsDomain to check whether the domain is valid or not PROD>/appl/retek/mpscripts/cat mg3TRn01 #!/bin/ksh # # Standard Header Files # # . ${0%${0##*/}}UKMPFunctionLibrary.test # # START # ScriptStart # # Check that domain exists.Print &... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shilpi
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem using unix mail command

Hello, When i am using mail command like this: mail -r prashant.aggarwal@xx.com -s "hiiii" prashant.aggarwal@xx.com < Content.txt i am abl eto dend a mail. Content.txt is a file from which contents are being reda But when i am trying to execute it thru a shell scipt like this it's giving ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cprash.aggarwal
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems using Unix mail command (2)

I recently generated myself the following error when attempting to use the Unix mail command: The flags you gave make no sense since you're not sending mail. There is a recent thread about this issue here in unix.com (with a title very much like this thread's title), but it was closed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Clovis_Sangrail
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

mail command in Unix

Hi All, Is it possible to email a file from another directory in Unix shell prompt? In other words, do we have to be in the directory where the file is located to mail the file? I was in the Mail directory and my file (filename) is in the Practice directory. I tried this and it didn't work:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: onlinelearner02
7 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

How to switch from SVR4/BSD internals to Linux internals?

Hello, Long-time Unix hacker here - I've worked on four variants of the kernel prior to the introduction of Linux. In my spare time, I've written Linux (Ubuntu) device drivers, kernel modules, cross-compiled, and built the kernel. I'd like to do Linux internals/device drivers as a day job,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: OriginalVersion
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX mail command

I am using HP-UX server. I tried to send the email with attachment, I used the below unix command to send with attachment but it doent work. uuencode pepsitoday.csv | mailx -s "csv file" ramkumar15@pepsi.com ---------- Post updated at 02:10 AM ---------- Previous update was at... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumar15
2 Replies
BINMAIL(1)						      General Commands Manual							BINMAIL(1)

NAME
binmail - send or receive mail among users SYNOPSIS
/bin/mail [ + ] [ -i ] [ person ] ... /bin/mail [ + ] [ -i ] -f file DESCRIPTION
Note: This is the old version 7 UNIX system mail program. The default mail command is described in Mail(1), and its binary is in the directory /usr/ucb. mail with no argument prints a user's mail, message-by-message, in last-in, first-out order; the optional argument + displays the mail mes- sages in first-in, first-out order. For each message, it reads a line from the standard input to direct disposition of the message. newline Go on to next message. d Delete message and go on to the next. p Print message again. - Go back to previous message. s [ file ] ... Save the message in the named files (`mbox' default). w [ file ] ... Save the message, without a header, in the named files (`mbox' default). m [ person ] ... Mail the message to the named persons (yourself is default). EOT (control-D) Put unexamined mail back in the mailbox and stop. q Same as EOT. !command Escape to the Shell to do command. * Print a command summary. An interrupt normally terminates the mail command; the mail file is unchanged. The optional argument -i tells mail to continue after interrupts. When persons are named, mail takes the standard input up to an end-of-file (or a line with just `.') and adds it to each person's `mail' file. The message is preceded by the sender's name and a postmark. Lines that look like postmarks are prepended with `>'. A person is usually a user name recognized by login(1). To denote a recipient on a remote system, prefix person by the system name and exclamation mark (see uucp(1C)). The -f option causes the named file, for example, `mbox', to be printed as if it were the mail file. When a user logs in he is informed of the presence of mail. FILES
/etc/passwd to identify sender and locate persons /usr/spool/mail/* incoming mail for user * mbox saved mail /tmp/ma* temp file /usr/spool/mail/*.lock lock for mail directory dead.letter unmailable text SEE ALSO
Mail(1), write(1), uucp(1C), uux(1C), xsend(1), sendmail(8) BUGS
Race conditions sometimes result in a failure to remove a lock file. Normally anybody can read your mail, unless it is sent by xsend(1). An installation can overcome this by making mail a set-user-id command that owns the mail directory. 7th Edition April 29, 1985 BINMAIL(1)