Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Awk while-loop printing extra character Post 302545030 by redbluefish on Friday 5th of August 2011 11:19:59 PM
Old 08-06-2011
Thank-you Agama and Birei, you two are correct Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Silly question on printing for loop in AWK

Hi, One silly question. I would like to add statement like below and append to a file. I used the below code; however, it does not work. Can anyone please tell me what mistakes I have made? awk ' { for (i=1;i<=563;i++) print i }'>>output.txt Thanks. -Jason (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

printing with awk through while loop

ive input file contains to clums a and b spreated by pipe a | b 123|456 323|455 and xyz contains other info about a and b now i want to print as follows: a | b | "info from xyz" but "info from xyz" might be more than 1 line and i want to keep the format to 3 cloums. how to do it?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: windows
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort file adding extra character

HI all i have this script : #!/bin/bash sort /usr/tmp/"REPORT"$1 -o \ /usr/tmp/"SREPORT"$1 -k 1,7 -S 150 end of script now i'm doing this command : ls -lsgt *REPORT* 4 -rw-r--r-- 300 Sep 16 REPORT54784 4 -rw-r--r-- 301 Sep 16 SREPORT54784 as you can see the sorted file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: naamas03
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete extra character in a line?

And I want to delete the characters longer than 20 for each line start with #. The other lines should remain the same. I think this can be done by sed. Could anyone help me with this? Thanks! my input file: #ZP_05494889.1_Clostridium_papyrosolvens... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritacc
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove extra character

Hi I am using cat <filename> command in one of my datastage job(Command Activity). It is giving actual value but giving extra line. Eg: Displayed Output: 1 and showing extraline(Eg: 1 ) I had checked even wc -c it is giving one character extra. If the file contains 11. wc -c says 3. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cnrj
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

extra character with iconv encoding

hey, I am trying to convert a sample russian encoding file to English encoding using iconv utility. Its almost done but with each converted character i am getting one extra character which must not come. my sample Russian text is test.txt А Б В Г Д Е Ж З И Й К ~ and script which i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: peeyushgehlot
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

printing only columns containing a determined character with awk

Hello I'm trying to extract two columns from a database using awk, the thing is i have a variable number of columns in each row, and I just need to get out the two first ones ending in "," This is an example: ABE, ABE V149 MAZIE ARD CYN ACY, ACY, , , ,TEC, , 5000, , , 1, ZNY,ZDC ABE, ABE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vir
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Character printing with AWK

I was wondering if I could use AWK to print from the nth character position to nth for all records in the file. All I have been doing is printing/copying fields rather than characters. I found a way to print lines greater/less/equal to a character length which led me to believe there is a way... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MIA651
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - Removing extra character when setting variable

I have a data file d0 that looks like this: $cat d0 server1 running -n-cv- 8G 3.1% 1435d 15h server2 running -n---- 8G 39% 660d 22h server3 running -n--v- 8G 2.5% 1173d 6h server4 running -n---- 8G 1.1% 1048d 20h... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jake0391S
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: printing column using for loop

Hello: I've input data: Input data --- 3:60069:C:T 60069 C T 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 --- 3:60079:A:G 60079 A G 1 0 0 0.988 0.012 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 --- rs186476240:60157:G:A 60157 G A 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 I edit/make first few columns before numbers (6th column) and want to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: genome
4 Replies
while(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  while(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
while - Execute script repeatedly as long as a condition is met SYNOPSIS
while test body _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The while command evaluates test as an expression (in the same way that expr evaluates its argument). The value of the expression must a proper boolean value; if it is a true value then body is executed by passing it to the Tcl interpreter. Once body has been executed then test is evaluated again, and the process repeats until eventually test evaluates to a false boolean value. Continue commands may be exe- cuted inside body to terminate the current iteration of the loop, and break commands may be executed inside body to cause immediate termi- nation of the while command. The while command always returns an empty string. Note: test should almost always be enclosed in braces. If not, variable substitutions will be made before the while command starts execut- ing, which means that variable changes made by the loop body will not be considered in the expression. This is likely to result in an infinite loop. If test is enclosed in braces, variable substitutions are delayed until the expression is evaluated (before each loop iter- ation), so changes in the variables will be visible. For an example, try the following script with and without the braces around $x<10: set x 0 while {$x<10} { puts "x is $x" incr x } EXAMPLE
Read lines from a channel until we get to the end of the stream, and print them out with a line-number prepended: set lineCount 0 while {[gets $chan line] >= 0} { puts "[incr lineCount]: $line" } SEE ALSO
break(n), continue(n), for(n), foreach(n) KEYWORDS
boolean value, loop, test, while Tcl while(n)