Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sendmail MX redirect
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sendmail MX redirect Post 302542567 by gtrava01 on Thursday 28th of July 2011 03:33:36 AM
Old 07-28-2011
Sendmail MX redirect

Hi

I have a working sendmail setup for my domain, but would like to run a subdomain on another machine. I could try below, but its a production server and worry about messing it up. Hence the question.

So I have machine names:

mydomain.com (mail server)
dev.mydomain.com

currently the MX record points to mydomain.com
Can I add another MX record for dev.mydomain.com which points to the same - mydomain.com, ie

mydomain.com. IN MX 0 mail.mydomain.com.
dev.mydomain.com. IN MX 0 mail.mydomain.com.

That way both mails get redirected to mail.mydomain.com for handling. OR is it better:

dev.mydomain.com. IN MX 0 dev.mydomain.com.

I want both domain emails to go to my main machine mail.mydomain.com.

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Redirect

I'm sittig behind a firewall that doesn't allow ftp. I have a conection to a UNIX system, connecting throug SSH. Is it possible to redirect the ftp through the UNIX to my computer? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: <Therapy>
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to redirect the messages

Hi, Some of the process execuating on our server time to time. Time of exeuation is not know in advance. That process is producing some of the messages on the screen. I want to redirect all the messages in one file as well as want all the message on the screen also. How i can do that ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaur_amar
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP Redirect

I need a script named index.php . when i goto that page it redirects to html/index.php can someone please tell me the code required (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: perleo
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot redirect ouput?????

Hello experts, I'm testing a program that prints error message to the screen. I want to redirect the output to a file using >. but the message only prints on screen and not writing to the file, Any suggestion on what I might try? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: minifish
3 Replies

5. SCO

Redirect archive0?

Hello UNIX-community, We have an older SCO UNIX-system running PCS3 (an industrial platform) and since a few weeks we are experiencing problems with our archiving software. For about ten years, the system archives data to Magneto-Optical discs (MO-discs) and thus far it has worked fine.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: V4Friend
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect o/p from shell

hi, I've a shell which does few manipulations on different text files. I need to divert all the output to a single file. i dont want to mention the o/p file name in command prompt (or) in every shell command. Is it possible to mention it part of the shell? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dvah
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect capitalize

How do i send the output from the date command to a variable called today easy: today=$(date) but how can the output be capitalized on a single command ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JuankyKong
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sendmail questions, SCO 5.0.6 sendmail 8.11.0

I am running SCO 5.0.6 and using sendmail 8.11.0 and having issues with smtp authentication. When trying to send mail the following message will kick back. (reason: 530 5.7.1 Authentication required) 530 5.7.1 Authentication required Not sure what needs to be tweeked in sendmail.cf but I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ziggy6
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect to a file

Hi, Is there a way to redirect the output of a set of commands to a file instead of using << at every command in bash shell. For eg (echo hostname echo "Comparing 2 files" comm -3 file1 file2) >>file3 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rossdba
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Clarifying sendmail configuration - sendmail-client offline

Hi all, I have read about sendmail running as 2 separate process. 1 as a MSP, and the other as the real daemon or MTA. In my current configuration, the sendmail-client is disabled. Both submit.cf and sendmail.cf are left as default untouch I do not specified any mailhost... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
3 Replies
domainname(1M)						  System Administration Commands					    domainname(1M)

NAME
domainname - set or display name of the current domain SYNOPSIS
domainname [name-of-domain] DESCRIPTION
Without an argument, domainname displays the name of the current domain name used in RPC exchanges, usually referred to as the NIS or NIS+ domain name. This name typically encompasses a group of hosts or passwd entries under the same administration. The domainname command is used by various components of Solaris to resolve names for entries such as are found in passwd, hosts and aliases. By default, naming ser- vices such as NIS and NIS+ use domainname to resolve names. With appropriate privileges (root or an equivalent role [see rbac(5)]), you can set the name of the domain by specifying the name as an argument to the domainname command. The domain name for various naming services can also be set by other means. For example, ypinit can be used to specify a different domain for all NIS calls. The domain name of the machine is usually set during boot time through the domainname command by the svc:/system/iden- tity:domain service. If the new domain name is not saved in the /etc/defaultdomain file, the machine reverts to the old domain after it reboots. The sendmail(1M) daemon, as shipped with Solaris, and the sendmail implementation provided by sendmail.org (formerly referred to as "Berke- ley 8.x sendmail") both attempt to determine a local host's fully qualified host name at startup and both pursue follow-up actions if the initial search fails. It is in these follow-up actions that the two implementations differ. Both implementations use a standard Solaris or Unix system call to determine its fully qualified host name at startup, following the name service priorities specified in nsswitch.conf(4). To this point, the Solaris and sendmail.org versions behave identically. If the request for a fully qualified host name fails, the sendmail.org sendmail sleeps for 60 seconds, tries again, and, upon continuing failure, resorts to a short name. The Solaris version of sendmail makes the same initial request, but then, following initial failure, calls domainname. If successful, the sleep is avoided. On a Solaris machine, if you run the sendmail.org version of sendmail, you get the startup behavior (omitting the domainname call) described above. If you run the Solaris sendmail, the domainname call is made if needed. If the Solaris sendmail cannot determine the fully qualified host name, use check-hostname(1M) as a troubleshooting aid. This script can offer guidance as to appropriate corrective action. FILES
/etc/defaultdomain /etc/nsswitch.conf ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
NIS+(1), nischown(1), nispasswd(1), svcs(1), check-hostname(1M), hostconfig(1M), named(1M), nisaddcred(1M), sendmail(1M), svcadm(1M), ypinit(1M), sys-unconfig(1M), aliases(4), defaultdomain(4), hosts(4), nsswitch.conf(4), passwd(4), attributes(5), rbac(5), smf(5) NOTES
The domainname service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svc:/system/identity:domain Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). The ser- vice's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. SunOS 5.11 8 Mar 2006 domainname(1M)