Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers deleting words in list with more than 2 identical adjacent characters Post 302532177 by TAPE on Monday 20th of June 2011 07:33:05 AM
Old 06-20-2011
Thanks ygemici,

Your help has been awesome !

My query has been answered Smilie I have a few others, however will first play around with the
new-found knowledge and if necessary revert after that.

Thanks again all !

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

list only identical filename

Hi Friends, We have four filenames with first few digits are identical.From those files, i need to pick up 2 files based on my parameter. The following example will give more information to understand my question. Files in the directory: small_customer_aa.csv small_customer_ab.csv... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: HAA
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting symbols and characters between two words

Hi Please tell me how could i delete symbols, whitespaces, characters, words everything between two words in a line. Let my file is aaa BB ccc ddd eee FF kkk xxx 123456 BB 44^& iop FF 999 xxx uuu rrr BB hhh nnn FF 000 I want to delete everything comes in between BB and FF( deletion... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rish_max
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting blank line and row containing certain words in single sed command

Hi Is it possible to do the following in a single command /usr/xpg4/bin/sed -e '/rows selected/d' /aemu/CALLAUTO/callauto.txt > /aemu/CALLAUTO/callautonew.txt /usr/xpg4/bin/sed -e '/^$/d' /aemu/CALLAUTO/callautonew.txt > /aemu/CALLAUTO/callauto_new.txt exit (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aemunathan
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting words between tags

Hi !!! I need to write a script(ksh) that deletes any character outside <start> tag and </start> from a file. For eg: $cat file.txt <start> ad bd </start> as</start> <start> d e f mb<start>mu g h i (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: PRKS
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing identical words in column

I have a file that needs to be cleaned up. Here is the file: Project Project John Project Gary Project Sean Project2 Project2 Lisa Project2 Tyler Project2 Sam Project3 Project3 Mike Project3 Bran I need the o/p to be: Project John Gary Sean Project2 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: leepet01
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get characters between two words

Guys, Here is the txt file... SLIC N0SLU704034789 rŒ° EJ00 ó<NL DMRG>11 100 4B 2 SLIC N0SLU704034789 rŒ° TJ10 <4000><NL> 2 SLIC N0SLU704034789 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowrishankar05
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding and removing 2 identical consecutive words in a text

i want to write a shell script that correct a text file.for example if i have the input file: "john has has 2 apples anne has 3 oranges oranges" i want that the output file be like this: "john has 2 apples anne has 3 oranges" i've tried to read line by line from input text file into array... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: cocostaec
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting words and sorting

I have a file that looks some like this: I need to delete most of the information and sort the rest in such way that I get the following output file Any help will be greatly appreciated (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting words between every appearance of two words

Hi there, newbie there. I've been browsing the forums hoping to find a solution that answers a problem similar to what I need, but haven't had much luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! I need to delete a bunch of text between every appearance of two words in a really large file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lendl
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting a list of words from a text file

Hello, I have a list of words separated by spaces I am trying to delete from a text file, and I could not figure out what is the best way to do this. what I tried (does not work) : delete="password key number verify" arr=($delete) for i in arr { sed "s/\<${arr}\>]*//g" in.txt } >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hawk4520
5 Replies
UNIQ(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   UNIQ(1)

NAME
uniq - report repeated lines in a file SYNOPSIS
uniq [ -udc [ +n ] [ -n ] ] [ input [ output ] ] DESCRIPTION
Uniq reads the input file comparing adjacent lines. In the normal case, the second and succeeding copies of repeated lines are removed; the remainder is written on the output file. Note that repeated lines must be adjacent in order to be found; see sort(1). If the -u flag is used, just the lines that are not repeated in the original file are output. The -d option specifies that one copy of just the repeated lines is to be written. The normal mode output is the union of the -u and -d mode outputs. The -c option supersedes -u and -d and generates an output report in default style but with each line preceded by a count of the number of times it occurred. The n arguments specify skipping an initial portion of each line in the comparison: -n The first n fields together with any blanks before each are ignored. A field is defined as a string of non-space, non-tab charac- ters separated by tabs and spaces from its neighbors. +n The first n characters are ignored. Fields are skipped before characters. SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1) 7th Edition April 29, 1985 UNIQ(1)