Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Does inittab needs system restart? Post 302528932 by Skrynesaver on Wednesday 8th of June 2011 09:10:47 AM
Old 06-08-2011
Code:
man telinit

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

inittab solaris

Hi! Is it possible to add more ttys in Solaris, like with inittab in Linux? I want to switch between the ttys with Alt F1+F2+F3 .... like Linux does. How can i do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: donald1111
1 Replies

2. AIX

Execute a command at the system restart

Hi Folks, I have an AIX server and I would like the server to run the command saprouter -r at every system restarts. It needs to be run by a specific user. How would I do that? Thanks!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brookingsd
1 Replies

3. Solaris

inittab in Solaris 10

Hi, In Solaris 9 and below release we are using the rc script in inittab. I don't have much idea abt inittab in Solaris. In Solris 9 and below: We use rc3 script to start up the server. And we run database script before the rc3. os:23:respawn:/etc/init.d/database start >/dev/null 2>&1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
7 Replies

4. Solaris

inittab entry does not works

Hi, I have a solaris 10 server,which has a process running that communicates with other system.I have made following entry in the inittab file. PM15:s12345:respawn:/ncm/bin/communicator PM15 : Unique process ID s12345 : run levels respawn : if anytime the process... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asalman.qazi
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What breaks inittab

Today there was a situation where processes running from inittab was broken. Can someone help me understand, how to find out, who might have stopped those processes? Or how does it get broken? G (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
2 Replies

6. AIX

problem to restart services from /etc/inittab in AIX6.1

hello, i have an AIX6.1.7.2 machine that it was upgraded recently from AIX5.3.9.4. when i kill system services that should restart automatically like /usr/sbin/cron it doesnt start. i checked my /etc/inittab file and i confirmed that this service is in respawn status so when i kill this process... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Inittab configuration

I am installing BusyBox on a device that does not have keyboard or serial connection, so I log into the system with SSH. I am in doubt about what to put in the inittab file. This is the content of the file: ::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS ::respawn:/bin/login ::shutdown:/sbin/swapoff -a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: richard78
1 Replies

8. Linux

How to add a entry in inittab?

Hi All, I am booting by Linux box with the run level 3 and it gets booted successfully. I want to execute a script once the system is up and running in the run level 3. I was trying to add a entry to /etc/inittab to execute my script once the system is up. I have added the below... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script calling by inittab

Hi to all , i wrote a small script and i add it to inittab to start the script during Startup. The script works fine , if i call it from the prompt but if it is call from inittab it is runnng too but it does not recognize system variable like USER , LOGNAME. Since i running out of ideas i... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nadielosabra
12 Replies

10. Red Hat

No VolGroup00 found after restart of the system

I am facing the following issue after giving a restart (init 6) of my RHEL 5.9 system. As a result,the system is not starting after a restart. Can somebody help me to trouble shoot the issue. Red Hat nash version 5.1.19.6 starting Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while... ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anjan Ganguly
7 Replies
runlevel(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       runlevel(8)

NAME
runlevel - output previous and current runlevel SYNOPSIS
runlevel [OPTION]... [UTMP] DESCRIPTION
runlevel reads the system UTMP file, which defaults to /var/run/utmp when no alternate filename is given, to locate the most recent run- level record. The previous and current runlevel from that record are output separated by a single space. If there is no previous runlevel in the record, the letter N will be substituted. If no runlevel record can be found, runlevel outputs the word unknown and exits with an error. During system boot, the environment variables RUNLEVEL and PREVLEVEL will be set by the init(8) daemon, these come from the runlevel(7) event generated by telinit(8) or shutdown(8). When these environment variables are set, runlevel will output the values from these instead. Thus runlevel can be used in rc scripts as a replacement for the System-V who(1) -r command. OPTIONS
--quiet Does not output the current and previous runlevel, nor does it output unknown in the case of error (but it will exit with an error code). This may be used to test for the presence of a runlevel entry, or to check for errors reading from the file. EXIT STATUS
runlevel will exit with status 0 if a UTMP record was found, otherwise it will exit with status 1. ENVIRONMENT
RUNLEVEL runlevel will read the current runlevel from this environment variable if set in preference to reading from /var/run/utmp PREVLEVEL runlevel will read the previous runlevel from this environment variable if RUNLEVEL was given, in preference to reading from /var/run/utmp FILES
/var/run/utmp Where the current and previous runlevels will be read from. NOTES
The Upstart init(8) daemon does not keep track of runlevels itself, instead they are implemented entirely by its userspace tools. A change of runlevel is signalled by the runlevel(7) event, generated by either the telinit(8) or shutdown(8) tools. This event includes the new runlevel in the RUNLEVEL environment variable, as well as the previous runlevel (obtained from their own environment or from /var/run/utmp) in the PREVLEVEL variable. As well as generating the event, both tools write the new runlevel back to /var/run/utmp and append a new entry to /var/log/wtmp. AUTHOR
Written by Scott James Remnant <scott@netsplit.com> REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs at <https://launchpad.net/upstart/+bugs> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009 Canonical Ltd. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
runlevel(7) init(8) telinit(8) shutdown(8) who(1) Upstart 2009-07-09 runlevel(8)