Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Newline in my script-built shell variable Post 302528315 by KenJackson on Tuesday 7th of June 2011 02:16:01 AM
Old 06-07-2011
Your solution is not very robust. netstat -nr always give me something like this on Linux:
Code:
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U         0 0          0 br0
169.254.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.0.0     U         0 0          0 br0
0.0.0.0         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG        0 0          0 br0

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running Built-ins in current shell

Hi, Can any one please describe why I am not able to run any built-in commands in current shell? Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

built in variable to hold the name of therunning script...

Hi, I have multiple functions that can be called by any shell script. These functions have inbuilt echo statements to logs their activity into a log file. When I run multiple shell scripts that call these functions, they all log into the same log file and I am not able to differentiate which... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: new_learner
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Variable assignments specified with eval shell built-in

According to the POSIX specifications eval is a special shell built-in, which should imply that variable assignments specified together with it should remain in effect after the built-in completes. Thus one would expect IFS to be changed after this: var=$'a\nb c' $ IFS=$'\n' eval ' for i in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scrutinizer
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk built-in variable for input file

Hi guys, Does awk have a built-in variable which I can use to display the input file it's currently reading? I'm currently concatenating multiple files using awk and later on do some parsing. But for now, I want to add an extra column in the main output data file - basically putting in the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Det7
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I add a newline In a text file using Shell Script

Good day ... Well i do have this project in school, in our Principles Of Operating System Class We are using Cygwin.... And our project goes like this... Create a dictionary using cygwin. Display the following menu at the start of execution 1-add a word in the dictionary # specify... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kpopfreakghecky
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I add a newline In a text file using Shell Script

Good day ... Well i do have this project in school, in our Principles Of Operating System Class We are using Cygwin.... And our project goes like this... Create a dictionary using cygwin. Display the following menu at the start of execution 1-add a word in the dictionary # specify the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kpopfreakghecky
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

newline character in a variable

variable="unix\nlinux" echo $variable expected output: unix linux :wall: can i do that ?? thanks in advance!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathish92
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

SH script, variable built command fails, but works at command line

I am working with a sh script on a solaris 9 zone (sol 10 host) that grabs information to build the configuration command line. the variables Build64, SSLopt, CONFIGopt, and CC are populated in the script. the script includes CC=`which gcc` CONFIGopt=' --prefix=/ --exec-prefix=/usr... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: oly_r
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to pass shell script variable to awk command in same shell script

I have a shell script (.sh) and I want to pass a parameter value to the awk command but I am getting exception, please assist. diff=$1$2.diff id=$2 new=new_$diff echo "My id is $1" echo "I want to sync for user account $id" ##awk command I am using is as below cat $diff | awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashunayak
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting shell to Perl I run into shell built in function trap and need alternative in Perl

I am working on converting shell to Perl script. In shell we have built in function trap Do you know alternative in Perl or actually we don't need it? Thanks for contribution (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
3 Replies
VLAN-INTERFACES(5)						   File formats 						VLAN-INTERFACES(5)

NAME
/etc/network/interfaces (vlan) - vlan extensions for the interfaces(5) file format DESCRIPTION
/etc/network/interfaces contains network interface configuration information for the ifup(8) and ifdown(8) commands. This manpage describes the vlan extensions to the standard interfaces(5) file format. Primary extensions exist to make and destroy vlan interfaces, secondary extensions exist for ipv4 interface manipulation which are gener- ally needed when using (a lot of) vlans. VLAN CREATION
Vlan interface definitions exist of the vlan interface name, and an optional 'raw-device' parameter. Vlan interfaces are numbered 1 to 4095. You have the option to have interface names zero-padded to 4 numbers, or just the plain digits without leading zero. The following example shows four ways to create a vlan with id 1 on interface eth0. They all result in different names. iface eth0.1 inet static address 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 iface vlan1 inet static vlan-raw-device eth0 address 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 iface eth0.0001 inet static address 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 iface vlan0001 inet static vlan-raw-device eth0 address 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 # We don't have br support out of the box iface br0.2 inet static vlan-raw-device br0 address 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 # Aliases are ignored iface br0.2:1 inet static address 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.255 EXTRA IFACE OPTIONS
Usually someone who uses vlans also wants to do some other manipulations with the ip stack or interface. vlan-raw-device devicename Indicates the device to create the vlan on. This is ignored when the devicename is part of the vlan interface name. ip-proxy-arp 0|1 Turn proxy-arp off or on for this specific interface. This also works on plain ethernet like devices. ip-rp-filter 0|1|2 Set the return path filter for this specific interface. This also works on plain ethernet like devices. hw-mac-address mac-address This sets the mac address of the interface before bringing it up. This works on any device that allows setting the hardware address with the ip command. AUTHOR
This manpage was adapted from interfaces(5) by Ard van Breemen <ard@kwaak.net> SEE ALSO
vconfig(8) interfaces(5) vlan September 30 2007 VLAN-INTERFACES(5)