Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Complete Newbie looking for advice Post 302519703 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 4th of May 2011 08:50:00 PM
Old 05-04-2011
We hire people with experience, not certifications. Consider that before spending lots of money on certs.

One of the best IT managers I know was a music major. Your degree is less important than demonstrated ability - good experience with references.
This User Gave Thanks to jim mcnamara For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Complete Newbie Question

I am in a test environment where i need to test several versions of UNIX, such as linux, solaris, SCO (ODT and Unixware). What i would like to know is there a universal way to work with the contents of a floppy diskette? I know some give you dos-like commands, but am looking for a way to access and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dpinion
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

complete newbie

ok so i am trying redhat linux and i create a partiton and install it no worries then i start and i cant access any of my other drives i can mount cd roms and floppies so i am logged in as root what i want to do is mount the following drives drive 1 ide partition 2 drive 2 to 5 seen... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: davidjk
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A complete Unix Newbie

I would like to know if I should install unix over a windows 98. I want to use a home computer to host websites right now, but I know how much Windows likes resources ;) So, my question is... Should I get a Unix OS? If no, then do not read more and just reply :) If yes, then, which one? How... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Afinita
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need advice

i am currently running windows vista home premium, i want to install unix because i just started a computer programing course, i am just wondering if i install unix will i still have vista?? how does it work? will i get a choice of which os to run on system startup?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naner9
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

Any advice would help

Hi everyone. I must admit up front that I am not very strong when it comes to Linux. I am actually a Windows guy, but don't let that count against me. :) I work for a very small company so we do not have a Server/Linux Admin on staff. Most of our needs have been handled by our WebHost. We have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: liquidstyleb
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

BASH complete-filename & menu-complete together

Hi, Does anyone know how to make BASH provide a list of possible completions on the first tab, and then start cycling through the possibilites on the next tab? Right now this is what I have in my .bashrc: bind "set show-all-if-ambiguous on" bind \\C-o:menu-complete This allows... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mithu
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX newbie NEWBIE question!

Hello everyone, Just started UNIX today! In our school we use solaris. I just want to know how do I setup Solaris 10 not the GUI one, the one where you have to type the commands like ECHO, ls, pwd, etc... I have windows xp and I also have vmware. I hope I am not missing anything! :p (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hanamachi
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl newbie . &&..programming newbie (question 2)

Hello everyone, I am having to do a lot of perl scripting these days and I am learning a lot. I have this problem I want to move files from a folder and all its sub folders to one parent folder, they are all .gz files.. there is folder1\folder2\*.gz and there are about 50 folders... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xytiz
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl newbie . &&..programming newbie

Hi, I am new to programming and also to perl..But i know 'perl' can come to my rescue, But I am stuck at many places and need help..any small help is much appreciated... below is the description of what i intend to acheive with my script. I have a files named in this format... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: xytiz
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Complete Newbie requiring help

Greetings Just joined this forum and a complete newbie. So please be gentle :) I've never really scripted before nor had a project where I required to write some code. However I have a large project which I am currently doing by manually. I was wondering if someone could help me determine... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: snoops
4 Replies
TAPSET::SCSI(3stap)													       TAPSET::SCSI(3stap)

NAME
tapset::scsi - systemtap scsi probe points DESCRIPTION
This family of probe points is used to probe the SCSI activities. It contains the following probe points: scsi.ioentry Fires when SCSI mid layer prepares a SCSI request Arguments: disk_major The major number of the disk disk_minor The minor number of the disk device_state The current state of the device. The possible values could be: SDEV_CREATED = 1, /* device created but not added to sysfs * Only internal commands allowed (for inq) */ SDEV_RUNNING = 2, /* device properly configured * All commands allowed */ SDEV_CANCEL = 3, /* beginning to delete device * Only error handler commands allowed */ SDEV_DEL = 4, /* device deleted * no commands allowed */ SDEV_QUIESCE = 5, /* Device quiescent. No block commands * will be accepted, only specials (which * originate in the mid-layer) */ SDEV_OFFLINE = 6, /* Device offlined (by error handling or * user request */ SDEV_BLOCK = 7, /* Device blocked by scsi lld. No scsi * commands from user or midlayer should be issued * to the scsi lld. */ scsi.iodispatching Fires when the SCSI mid layer dispatches a SCSI command to the low level driver Arguments: host_no The host number channel The channel number lun The lun number dev_id The scsi device id device_state The current state of the device. data_direction The data_direction specifies whether this command is from/to the device. The possible values could be: DMA_BIDIRECTIONAL = 0, DMA_TO_DEVICE = 1, DMA_FROM_DEVICE = 2, DMA_NONE = 3, request_buffer The request buffer address req_bufflen The request buffer length scsi.iodone Fires when a SCSI command is done by low level driver and enqueued into the done queue. Arguments: host_no The host number channel The channel number lun The lun number dev_id The scsi device id device_state The current state of the device data_direction The data_direction specifies whether this command is from/to the device. scsi.iocompleted Fires when SCSI mid layer runs the completion processing for block device I/O requests Arguments: host_no The host number channel The channel number lun The lun number dev_id The scsi device id device_state The current state of the device data_direction The data_direction specifies whether this command is from/to the device. goodbytes The bytes completed. SEE ALSO
stap(1), stapprobes(3stap) IBM
TAPSET::SCSI(3stap)