Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to add single digit in front of the word and line in the file. Post 302513120 by Shell_Life on Tuesday 12th of April 2011 11:33:07 AM
Old 04-12-2011
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
while read mLine
do
  while read mName mValue
  do
    mLOut=$(echo ${mLine} | sed "s/${mName}/${mValue}${mName}/g")
  done < Pattern_File
  echo ${mLOut}
done < Main_File

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Append 0 for single digit entered from command line

I have a script like this-- #!/bin/ksh echo "To pad a 0 before digits from 1-9" for i in $* do echo $i | sed 's//'0'/g' done I run this script as ksh name 1 2 23 34 The output should be 01 02 23 34 Help me in modifying this script. Thanks Namish (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a word in front of a word of each line.

Adding a word in front of a word of each line.In that line only one word will be there. pl help:( (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ramesh Vellanki
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to add a word in front a of each line of a file

Hi, Can anybody help me how to add a word in front of a line in a file.Actually it is bit tricky to add a word. i will give a sample for this: Input : 1110001 ABC DEF 1110001 EFG HIJ 1110001 KLM NOP 1110002 QRS RST 1110002 UVW XYZ Output: %HD% 1110001 ABC DEF %DT% 1110001 EFG HIJ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: apjneeraj
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Place digit in front of the line searching pattern using sed command

hi All, i want to add the single digit front of the line in the report file and string compare with pattern file. patter file: pattern1.txt pattern num like 4 love 3 john 2 report file: report.txt i like very much but john is good boy i will love u so after execute... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: krbala1985
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for adding a word in front of all line in a file

Hi I've one file full of paths of certain files and I want to add some extra file words in front of all the paths. for eg: i have a file name test.txt which show some details only.. 024_hd/044/0344eng.txt 035_bv/222/editor.jpg here I want to add /usr/people/indiana/ infront of all the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratheeshp
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

word counts for a single line xml file

I have any XML ouput file(file name TABLE.xml), where the data is loaded in A SINGLE LINE, I need help in writting a ksh shell script which gives me the word counts of word <TABLE-ROW> This is my input file. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><!--Generated by Ascential Software... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pred55
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete the line if the first letter is a single digit

Hi, I'm trying to acheive the following, I have a dat file in which i have several addresses, If the address starts with a single digit then i have to delete the line, if it starts with 2 or more digits then i have to keep the line Here is a sample of my file: 377 CARRER DE LA... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert two digit in to single digit...

Hi Guys. My Input: ABCD 12 00 KL ABCD 12 08 DL ABCD 12 10 KK ABCD 12 04 LL ABCD 13 00 LP ABCD 13 1O LS Output: ABCD 12 0 KL ABCD 12 8 DL ABCD 12 10 KK ABCD 12 4 LL ABCD 13 0 LP (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pareshkp
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a single quote in front of a line in vi editor

Hello Gurus, I wanted to put a single quote in every where starting with /oradata, and at the end with .dbf. For example I have one line as below: alter database rename datafile /oradata/test.dbf to /oradata_new/test.dbf I wanted as below alter database rename datafile '/oradata/test.dbf' to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pokhraj_d
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking a single digit in a file using Grep

Hi All, I have a file which keeps count based on completion of a certain activity. I am using the following grep command to return a '1' in case the count is zero grep -ic "0" abc_count.txt Now the issue happens when the count is '10', '20' etc .. in these cases as well it returns a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev.devil.1983
5 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.11 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)