Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Having a hard time with the sed/echo commands? Post 302504045 by homeboy on Sunday 13th of March 2011 09:33:31 AM
Old 03-13-2011
you should quota the second parameter of mv,you see,if you have a file named "name with blanks",the shell will expand the blanks within variables without double quotas or single quotas or backslash.
you should change your code into:
Code:
mv "$a" "`echo "$a" | sed 's/_/\ /g'`"

This User Gave Thanks to homeboy For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Hard time with an IBM RS/6000 J40 + AIX 5.2L

Hello all! I'm having a hard time with an IBM RS/6000 J40 machine. I'm trying to install AIX 5.2L on it but, up to now, I can't make it boot from the CDROM. I can go to the configuration menu, but, I don't know hot to point to my SCSI CDROM in order to boot from it. Do any of you have an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MCM
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hard time with a RS6000 J40 + AIX 5.2L

Hello all! This is my first post here! I'm having a hard time with an IBM RS/6000 J40 machine. I'm trying to install AIX 5.2L on it but, up to now, I can't make it boot from the CDROM. Do any of you have an ideia? Thank you for your time! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MCM
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSH, Remote Commands and echo, oh my!

So, HostB has a SSH trust via pre-shared keys from HostA. HostA> ssh HostB hostname HostB HostA> ssh HostB echo `hostname` HostA HostA> ssh HostB 'echo `hostname`' `hostname` HostA> ssh HostB "echo `hostname`" HostA HostA> ssh HostB echo $PS1 user@HostA:$PWD HostA> ssh HostB... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wrathe
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with echo and sed

I am using GNU sed but this does not output "what". Why? HEY=$(echo "hey 70.70.70.70:21 what: " | sed -nr 's/.*(70.70.70.70\|71.71.71.71):(21\|22\|115\|443\|989\|990) (.*):.*/\3/p') echo $HEY (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: limmer
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Advice using cut & echo combination commands

Hi, I am cutting data from a fixed length test file and then writing out a new record using the echo command, the problem I have is how to stop multiple spaces from being written to the output file as a single space. Example: cat filea | while read line do field1=`echo $line | cut -c1-2` ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dc18
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

skipping echo stmnt first time a while loop entered

one more question. I want to skip the first echo statement the first time the loop gets entered while #keep prompting for more funds until selling price achieved do echo "You have inserted a total of ${total_inserted} cents. Please insert $total_remaining more cents" echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: danieldcc
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

echo and grep commands

Hey im new in this...anything will be helpful... The user will input the word or phrase .... I want to search the user input in file (by lines) but not all then with this line search on another file ( with the specific line) and show to the user. Example: file1.txt ======= a aa aaa... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sundown
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Echo out running commands

Is there any way in a script to print out the commands being ran? In DOS script, there is the "@echo on" and "@echo off". so I have a script like this: #!/bin/ksh echo "hello there. moving files." <turn on echoing here> cp thisfile.txt thatfile.txt cp whatfile.prop whyfile.prop <turn... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ronron5477
2 Replies

9. Web Development

ReWrite rule giving a hard time.

Hi all, I am trying to find a rewrite rule that can help me with the following situation. So I am currently on a page which has a URL: http://www.test.mobile.com/#!/shop/phones/max-plus/features/ Now when I hover over a certain link, I can see that it will goto: <a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Behaviour of echo commands used by Linux admins

version info : Fedora 28 (Kernel version: 4.16.12-300) shell : bash Using echo command , if I redirect a text like "Chocolate" to a file , all the contents in the file are overwritten as shown below. # cat /tmp/someTest Hello world One more Hello world myLine3 # echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
4 Replies
QUOTAON(8)						      System Manager's Manual							QUOTAON(8)

NAME
quotaon, quotaoff - turn filesystem quotas on and off SYNOPSIS
quotaon [-v] filesystem ... quotaon [-v] -a quotaoff [-v] filesystem ... quotaoff [-v] -a DESCRIPTION
Quotaon announces to the system that disk quotas should be enabled on one or more filesystems. Quotaoff announces to the system that the specified filesystems should have any disk quotas diskquotas turned off. The filesystems specified must have entries in /etc/fstab and be mounted. Quotaon expects each filesystem to have a quota file named quotas located at the root of the associated file system. These defaults may be overridden in /etc/fstab. Available options: -a If the -a flag is supplied in place of any filesystem names, quotaon/quotaoff will enable/disable all the filesystems indi- cated in /etc/fstab to be read-write with disk quotas. -v Causes quotaon and quotaoff to print a message for each filesystem where quotas are turned on or off. FILES
quotas at the filesystem root with user quotas /etc/fstab filesystem table SEE ALSO
quota(1), setquota(2), fstab(5), edquota(8), quotacheck(8), repquota(8) HISTORY
The quotaon command appeared in 4.2BSD. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution January 21, 1996 QUOTAON(8)